Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of squad lead increases beheaded chicken syndrome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of squad lead increases beheaded chicken syndrome?

It might have just been the squads that I was on. But the lack of squad leader was quite noticeable, if someone does not take strong rein of a squad right off the bat the members tend to wonder a bit more than I would have liked.

Aside from that and the server issues I had a blast, and I understand the game is new and we are still trying to iron out the squad kinks and all.
    sigpic

Re: Lack of squad lead increases beheaded chicken syndrome?

Agreed... teh Comm issues need to be sorted out.. Maybe it will Take TG Creating different TS3 Rooms for Diff squads in diff servers (ARRG!)... But Ideally Dice gets the In Game VOIP and squad system working AS WELL As PR..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
      Agreed... teh Comm issues need to be sorted out.. Maybe it will Take TG Creating different TS3 Rooms for Diff squads in diff servers (ARRG!)... But Ideally Dice gets the In Game VOIP and squad system working AS WELL As PR..
      Then how do SL's communicate with eachother? I doubt they will incorporate SL to SL comms, which is why we need the TS channels.

Just get in your correct team channel, and hope that a fix comes out for in-game voip soon. :s

Also a reminder to all to keep other chat/banter at a minimum during the round, so you can try and get some sort of useful communications going. It's not ideal, but see what happens and give us some feedback.
      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Originally posted by PM07SNV View Post
        Then how do SL's communicate with eachother? I doubt they will incorporate SL to SL comms, which is why we need the TS channels.
        I think he meant temporarily until the the VOIP gets sorted out, which I think is a good idea. BCS is a big problem right now with the lack of squad communication...or in the case of team wide channels now, too much communication. Yesterday when I was calling out things like "There's two more on the second floor", I realized I was telling 15 other players, not 3. My other teammates in another building across the map don't need to go looking for two guys that aren't there. So I stopped giving out intel altogether.

Who knows how long it may be before VOIP gets fixed. I would much rather have individual squad channels right now and let the squad to squad communication suffer than have really no communication at all.

Comment

It seemed like every squad I was in yesterday had all four guys working in pretty good harmony. We did not need much communication. As long as you spawn on squad mates and work towards the same objectives, you don't really need a designated SL.

Comment

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
            As long as you spawn on squad mates and work towards the same objectives, you don't really need a designated SL.
            Well, I learned a lot of tactics and smart moves from my SLs when I started playing TG. I was counting on this to be the case in BC2 as well. I too think wee need squad channels in TS if the ingame voip isnīt working. Talking, tactical gameplay is what I want.
            sigpic

Comment

Then how do SL's communicate with eachother?
              One thing you can try is what we had to do in ArmA because of the lack of Channel Commander in TS. Before the game, get your leadership set up. Who is going to SL and what not, then each SL sets a whisper list to the other SL's. This is why we ArmA guys have so many different squad channels. The entire squad has its own channel to communicate with themselves and the SL's have the whisper lists to talk to the other SL's.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                One thing you can try is what we had to do in ArmA because of the lack of Channel Commander in TS. Before the game, get your leadership set up. Who is going to SL and what not, then each SL sets a whisper list to the other SL's. This is why we ArmA guys have so many different squad channels. The entire squad has its own channel to communicate with themselves and the SL's have the whisper lists to talk to the other SL's.
                Woah.. It does work and ArmA folk are awesome for doing this, but due to the nature of the quick play type of game and high turnover of players joining and leaving, I'm not sure this will work for everyone. Especially for those of us lazy TS users from 2142, who rarely have any keybinds setup, let alone creating them on the fly. It even failed trying to get SL's into a seperate channel, which was pretty basic stuff. But then we had in-game comms to a commander which worked well.

Having not used whisper lists much myself, does anyone want to give this a go? How much setup is needed? Does it need changing a lot?

Comment

Yeah..Having Cut my teeth with ARMA chatting in TS..it can be done..but what works ,and works VERY WELL (IMHO) is the squad and comms setup in PR.. I think we can agree on that. And I do agree with the type of game this is..complicated TS setups won't be the answer.. The easiest quick fix (and a logistic Nightmere) would be to create 8 Rooms per side call it Squad 1 Squad 2 ( or whatver it's called in game..) and do that for all the servers... I think in this game Squad comms is of the utmost important...

In a channel with multiple squads and players... "Sniper in the Barn" might mean something different to every player.. Like.. Dude.. Is that a Barn or a Big Building..I think it's a house.. Or ..is that the Barn he means? Who said that? Is he in my Squad? or even.. "I think that dude's a post op transexual"... Something like that.
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Woah.. It does work and ArmA folk are awesome for doing this, but due to the nature of the quick play type of game and high turnover of players joining and leaving, I'm not sure this will work for everyone. Especially for those of us lazy TS users from 2142, who rarely have any keybinds setup, let alone creating them on the fly. It even failed trying to get SL's into a seperate channel, which was pretty basic stuff. But then we had in-game comms to a commander which worked well.

Having not used whisper lists much myself, does anyone want to give this a go? How much setup is needed? Does it need changing a lot?
                    Yeah the fast gaming does make it a little difficult, but it could still be benificial. Setting it up takes only a few seconds. You go into your options and click "whisper", on the right side you will have a box for names or entire channels you want to put in your list. All you have to do is drag and drop the people you want to whisper to, set your key (which, iirc, you only have to do once) then you are ready to rock. So all that would need to happen is at the start of the map or right before all SL's add each other to thier whisper list and then you are ready to rock. when its done, delete the list and you can start over, or just delete the people that leave and drag and drop new ones.

Another possible solution, is to have the SL's all join one channel and everyone else in another (like PR mumble) then the SL's can talk amongst themselves in their own channel and the players likewise, then using the whisper list the SL's add in the entire channel so when they "whisper" all the players in that channel will hear them. With this set up, SL's can work a battle plan amongst themselves then call out "volunteers" to take out the tank on the channel whisper list.

Again, what works for ArmA might not work very well for BC2 but its a start. Something to help out with the comms issues until a better solution is available.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Forgive me for trying to find holes, I'm just as much thinking of ways to get things going, and triggering others to come up with ideas.. :)

1 of the problems currently is there is no Squad leader. So identifying them from a channel of 4 guys is hit and miss, if they have even agreed on an SL. As above, Amplitudo had a squad with good harmony, which is great, but no SL. And who is to say the next round, the squads mix it up a bit and it all needs setting up again. By that time MCOM A is down, and I haven't even sleected my kit.

I think 8 channels per team, per server is a bit much..

Can you whisper to a channel?

Comment

Excuse the TS newbie (big emphasis on the highlighted) but is this possible:

Can a person join 2 TS channels at the same time. Also can different key binds be made to speak in each channel. ?

If the answer to that question is NO then stop reading here.

This is very dependent on a squad actually CHOOSING a SL:

SL joins SQUAD 1 channel in TS as well as a main SQUAD LEAD channels. An (if possible) creating 2 different key binds to speak into each of those individual channels.

This way they can communicate with their squads and they have the option to plan out with other SLs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Funny, but in this day and age... How is a COMMS Director not a position at these gaming companies... Someone to design and implement communications systems.. Hell. Buy Teamspeak DICE/EA..and use that in your games.. AA uses it... It's proven and works..

Sometimes I wonder if designers actually play these games.. Helll..all they gotta do is lurk in PR And BF2 Forums and they will get advice or suggestions...
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

As has been stated, a per team channel for Rush worked OK, as the objectives were right next to each other (mostly), and there was only one A and one B. It didn't work so well last night on Conquest, depending on the message that needed to get out. I needed squad comms more than I needed team comms.

I guess one possibility is squads do TS channels, and use Team Chat for team wide coordination ("buggy heading to back flag", "Echo has objective A", etc.). Might still be too much work I guess.

Comment

WTB 2142 comm system
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...