Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling out direction without a compass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling out direction without a compass?

Without a compass on the minimap I've been having trouble calling out direction. I finally decided the top of the map is always facing North and started calling direction based on that.

What is everyone else doing?
    sigpic

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Re: Calling out direction without a compass?

Originally posted by Poncherello View Post
    What is everyone else doing?
    Same as you. Top of the map as it displays is always North.

Comment

I really like using compass directions and have been doing the same - I think it will be easier once we learn the maps better.

Related thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...eport-sop.html

Comment

Can we get the map to stop spinning around like crazy`?
        Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

I think a good thing to maybe try is established set directions that never change no matter the map.

Example:

Imagine this image on top of the map. You have the North,East,South, and West points just like on a compass. Now, you have 1 point between North and East and East and South etc. To the left and right of those middle points is a blank space, this is what we are working with for this example.

Each of these inbetween spaces is given a predetermined number or letter that will never change. For my example i will use the numbers 20 and 40. The blank space to the right of the North point is 20, and the next one is 40. Now, we repeat the numbers for East, So the first space after East is 20 and the next is 40 etc, etc until we go all the way around back to north. Now we have a way of dialing in contacts without the benifit of a compass. (this is an Army trick that my old Infantry company used)

So now calling out contacts is as easy as calling out a Direction or a Direction+Number combination.

I/E:
          Contact: North 20 <- This way allows everyone that hears it to look in a more specified direction as opposed to just looking North.

Again, its merely a suggestion and implementation is way easier than it looks written down. I have a hard time conveying it into words lol. This system isnt mean to tell you what building the other guy is in or anything like that its more an overall directional tool that is slightly more specific than North East South West.

As with all things, admin SOP's have the final word on all aspects of the game, but seeing as how this one is brand new and everything is being fine tuned and polished I think this might help out as far as situational awareness as well as relaying pertinent information up the chain as its needed.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

North to me is always the direction of the enemy UCB relative to ours. That way when you head out from the UCB, everything hostile is to the north. Especially on the linear maps, it helps a lot to think of your base as south and the enemy as north instead of east-west.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Originally posted by LordKelvin View Post
              North to me is always the direction of the enemy UCB relative to ours. That way when you head out from the UCB, everything hostile is to the north. Especially on the linear maps, it helps a lot to think of your base as south and the enemy as north instead of east-west.
              Until you open the map! :icon_lol:

Comment

If you think of it as a static map (which it is) you can still concretely mark the enemy UCB as North, as a fixed, unmoving reference point instead of an arbitrary "top of the map".

Just sayin'.

Comment

Excellent point LordKelvin!

I like the idea of using the UCB as a fixed point too!...it's like the north star....that is the point looking forward...
                  if you turn left it's west but we can still call it left side!!!

North South Left Right are easier for me than north south east west....in the heat of battle I have often gotten confused with east and west...I know the difference but sometimes it's just not as efficient....left side and right side are easier to interpret in my mind

Comment

I gotta say I really hate the idea of arbitrarily renaming East to 'North' :icon_lol:

I love the idea of using the UCB's to help remember direction, but... What's so magical about North? Either way, you're going to have to think about it and do the 'calculaton' in your head, right?

Comment

I am sure that the way forard is to give compass directions on the main map
                      Tapping the map can be quick and easy
                      Try remapping your map key to something easy to tap-on tap-off, I have mapped it to a mouse thumb button
                      Another interesting quirk is you can move and rotate in game with the map open, so you can turn to the compass direction your want, close the map and move out

Comment

I love the idea of using the UCB as a reference to help you remember direction... but I think the idea of arbitrarily renaming East to "North" is terrible :icon_lol:

I don't see how it buys you anything. Either way, if your facing west [whether actual west or 'fake' west], you need to know that left is "south" and right is "north"... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                          Try remapping your map key to something easy to tap-on tap-off, I have mapped it to a mouse thumb button
                          Thankyouthankyouthankyou! Why in the name of all thats holy didn't I think of that?

*of too fix my key-bindings*
                          Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            I love the idea of using the UCB as a reference to help you remember direction... but I think the idea of arbitrarily renaming East to "North" is terrible :icon_lol:

I don't see how it buys you anything. Either way, if your facing west [whether actual west or 'fake' west], you need to know that left is "south" and right is "north"... right?
                            I was thinking more along the lines of the enemy UCB is north regardless of what direction you are facing. I'm not saying we should rename 'east' to 'north' (since the maps are totally unmarked how do we know that any given direction is north or east?) but rather that no matter where you are on the map, the enemy UCB is north, and yours is south. To determine position horizontally you use east-west or 'right-left' as desired.

Think Ender's Game and "The enemy's gate is DOWN".

Comment

Originally posted by LordKelvin View Post
                              Think Ender's Game and "The enemy's gate is DOWN".
                              +1 Loved that book

Forgive my noobish ignorance, but on the maps the contures of that particular map are different from the others. This being the case the UCB wont always be to the right on our maps. It might be to the right and down or up. So that would require "North" moving. So on one map north would be the far right of the map, then on the next level "North" is the bottom right corner of the map.

Or am I just crazy?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X