Squad Leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leader

Squads, as all of you know, have only four people in this game and I have not found any suggestion to if anyone is designated as a "squad leader" or not. Although it seems like the first person to join a squad should be the leader, they have no additional benefits over any of the other players.

As far as I know, each person in the squad is able to manually give orders by selecting a flag/mcom station and pressing "Q" with it in their crosshairs. I have not tested this so far but it seems that this would lead to difficulty in keeping a certain goal, as each person can decide where they want to set the marker at.

With this being said, who do you think should be the person designated to be the squad leader? Should it be the first person to start the squad, the first person to take control and start giving orders, or otherwise. In turn, do you think that someone should be designated commander of the team and have them give orders to other leaders through TS3 or just have the team make a unilateral decision on what they want to do?

Due to the lack of a central command system in this game it seems as if controlled tactics and teamwork could become an issue if no one takes the initiative to give orders. A prime goal at TG is using tactics which in turn means following orders. The only issue I take with this is if two people try to give separate orders and arguements break out on what should be done, then there is no clear-cut way to determine who should be followed. At the moment, this whole thing is not much of an issue but if VoiP is fixed and random pubbies start trying to lead the whole team while someone else is, then there could be problems. What do you all think about this?

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Re: Squad Leader

Good post.

I think the person who has the direct line of comunication to TS3 should be squad lead. Since he can effectivly comunicate with the rest of the server.

Comment

So far the method that has sort of worked within the squad was mutual consensus. Somebody suggests an order and the majority of the squad inevitably follows or disagrees with it.

Vocal people took care of inter-squad comms over TS with things like: "Hotel is going Bravo." And the other responds "Roger, Golf will stay at A and defend."

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

I still think there are some com issues while playing. Personaly I don't know which voip to follow, either ingame or TS3.

TS3 could be used only as intersquad communication while ingame voip should be used as squad level communication, here we draw the line who is SL and who not. I will follow orders from the one who is showing leadership with the most sense (in the meaning of giving reasonable orders and not sending us on suicide runs.)

Though I am still confused on which voip I should use, since some players don't use TS3 and some don't ingame.
        Foxwolves or folves for short are very versatile. Sniper, engineer, soldier, strategist, medic, commando.
        All in one package.
        The most obvious though is death.

Comment

Originally posted by LordKelvin View Post
          So far the method that has sort of worked within the squad was mutual consensus.
          This is what I was hoping to hear! I feel that this could work really well once people get used to it, it will get more people more involved with the tactics. Not to mention it will work so much better once Squad VOIP works.

I'm a defensively minded player, overall, but if I'm in a squad with three aggressive/attacking minded players it wouldn't make sense for the squad to hang back and defend, even if I am the "SL." That just how I feel anyway.
          sigpic

Comment

And if your are in a squad with Zhohar,just try and keep up:P
            Last edited by Abel; 03-07-2010, 09:36 PM.
            Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

I believe anyone can give the squad order as long as their isn't already an order given. There's a cool down too between orders given so you can't just keep flip/flopping between objectives. Overall it's pretty nice, it relies more on the emergent leadership rather than the leadership of the unwilling :)

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
                And if your are in a squad with Zhohar,just try and keep up :P
                TRUTH!

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                It relies more on the emergent leadership rather than the leadership of the unwilling :)
                Heh. Yeah, it's kind of nice, those that want to give their thoughts can but it certainly isn't required.
                sigpic

Comment

When squad VOIP is fixed, I think we will end up with a squad appointing a squad lead who is the squad's voice on teamspeak

having one voice per squad on teamspeak in the inter-squad level, is the key, and one voice per squad means a squad leader

Comment

I believe, through good communication, leading should be easy. For about 10 games straight tonight we had very good teamwork on both sides, it was tons of fun.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Game design isn't helping us out here. The SL role is minimized by the new spawn-on-anyone ability. It's not super clear on the spawn screen who the squad leader is, and they are not identified on the battlefield like they were in previous BF incarnations. You also can't get back to the spawn screen to double check or see who the other SLs are to coordinate action. Unless all this and squad VOIP changes, it's better to get the whole side in the TS channel and keep comms relevant to macro tactics.

Comment

Pressing ENTER in game opens up the spawn screen I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                          When squad VOIP is fixed, I think we will end up with a squad appointing a squad lead who is the squad's voice on teamspeak

having one voice per squad on teamspeak in the inter-squad level, is the key, and one voice per squad means a squad leader

This sounds really really good.. Helps minimizing the chatter in the channel which it's going to be sooo nice! It's really nice with all the communication going on in the channels but sometimes when there is allot going on in the game my ears actually bleeds a little bit..
                          Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X