This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter Concerning the Terrible Games at TG

I'm currently typing this in a fit of despair. The TG servers are quite popular as they should be. It's hard for even us, supporting members to get on the server. We currently don't have the ability for SMs to have a reserved slot. I understand that. There are not admin tools for admins. Bunnyhopping and general rule breaking is much much harder to enforce. I understand that. In game VOIP really doesn't work and so we're stuck using Teamspeak. I also understand that.

Here is what I don't understand. There are currently over 5 people in my teams channel in Vent. 0 of them are communicating. If I were to switch over to the other channel it would be the same case. Now I'll give some the benefit of the doubt and say that simply their mic doesn't work while they're playing BC2, for some reason I have the same issue. However the simple lack of communication is quite ridiculous, not only by TG standards but simple multiplayer game standards in general. The BETA had much much better communication then now and that to me is just plain silly. There's still text chat, and if you played on my team tonight you might have noticed I typed out "A" or "B" directing where not only my squad was pushing or defending but where the rest of our team should as well, because those in Vent certainly aren't. Very displeased.

Tonight like many nights before, I experienced a solid night of nothing but loses. BC2 doesn't mix up the teams, I understand that. So I casually asked at the begining of the next round if some people would like to switch over and scramble up the teams. We were down 2 people and easilly could start shuffling people around. A couple of the other sides best players join our side, some of our players join the other side. It keeps things fresh. Well not only did nobody switch nobody even replied. :icon23:

I'm not talking about close wins either. I'm talking about conquest games with 100 tickets versus 0. It's a slaughter, no ifs, ands or buts. Please I'm asking you all, if your side is repeatedly winning and you and maybe some of your squad mates are doing an absolute fantastic job. Please switch over if there are spots available. Close games, win or lose, are a million and one times more fun.

Another issue I wish to bring up, is base rape. We all know what it is and we all know it's unacceptable here at TG. So why do I still see it happen in game? Is it just pubbies who aren't familiar with the TG ways? Nope I've seen TG members alike do it and that friends makes me very disgusted. Whiskey just updated the rules spelling out UCB abuse and still I see it done in game.

Some also think it's funny to grenade spam, and no I don't just mean hurling grenades and shooting your grenade launcher when appropriate. I mean people purposely throwing down multiple ammo packs, camping an overlook and repeatedly grenading the crap out of the enemy at spawn points, flag captures, etc. It's not defending, it's grieving.

Lastly I wanna bring up knives. The amount of knifing I've seen happen on TG servers is higher than any other pub server I have visited. And no I'm not exaggerating. I understand when you knife because you are out of ammo or you're lucky enough to sneak up on someone, etc. However I have seen people run head on towards you to simply knife you because right now it's practically an exploit in some situations, knowing you can absorb so many bullets close range but they can't survive a good stabbing. To me it's kill hunting and that is exactly the type of environment we wish to discourage at TG. I don't know if Battlefield has this gentlemen's rule but in CS:S it's generally discouraged to knife if you have a weapon (primary or side arm) that is able to fire. Perhaps something like that should be adopted here.

I joined my friend's server earlier this evening and I have to say I had a hell of a lot more fun there. A quick list of what his server includes, and what TG's servers currently aren't including:
    -Tactics
    -Teamwork
    -Communication
    -People willing to switch sides to allow for more balanced games
    -No base rape
    -Less bunny hoping
    -Less Knifing
    -Games that are simply more fun

I'm typing all this up not to attack admins but to give a wake up call to all TGers. This is not the TG way. The admins are trying. I've seen them all respond to those who are breaking the rules, switch sides to accommodate the repeatedly losing side, and lastly communicate. TG has set the bar for tactical, fun game play so why does the standard for BC2 seem to be set so low?

The next time you find yourself playing BC2, especially on a TG server please do the following:
    -Communicate with your team
    -Play the objectives, not the greedy knife kills
    -Switch sides if you're repeatedly winning by a large margin or if the other side asks you to.
    -Refrain from UCB base rape, bunny hopping and other cheap tactics
    -Lastly inform others of this while on the server. Admins aren't the only ones who can inform pubbies and TGers alike about the rules and expectations of the server. You can too.

Thank you, sincerely,
    -Sirus Barnabas Black

Re: An Open Letter Concerning the Terrible Games at TG

I've seen plenty of communication is TS3, not sure if that is what you mean by vent.

Sometimes it is hard to switch sides the server is very odd about it, but yes people should be willing to switch sides when needed.

The knife is a powerful weapon and easily the best close combat weapon and as far as I have seen is being used that way. Limiting a weapon just because we see it as unfair seems odd, let DICE balance the game.

People do need to work with their team better but a lot of that is tied into not having VOIP.

Not having VOIP is also hindering people from informing others of the rules, since chat is easuly ignored.

Anyone can still be reported to the admins, it might not be dealt with that instant but a record is taken of the offense.

I'd like to add that teams that are attacking on rush need to get moving and stop going for kills, you cannot win a round by out killing the other team since they don't have a ticket count only MCOMs to blow up,
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Just to comment on the knife thing.

I believe the CSS TG server discourages knifing because it is a very weak weapon, and puts your team at risk of losing if you use it.

In BC2, however, the knife is a GOOD weapon, and should be used.

Comment

I'm just gonna reply with a quick point-by-point here, because it's 3 AM and I need to get to bed:

* Communication has been pretty strong in most of the games I've played, though it definitely suffers a little in rounds with a particularly heavy pub element. With in-game VoIP glitchy at best and text chat practically useless communicating with squad members outside of TS is all but impossible. This will get better.

* UCB camping is absolutely an issue that people need to be mindful of. In the defense of those who may have indulged, however, BC2 does not have the very clearly demarcated uncaps that we all remember from 2142. There are no assets, no commander, just a very vague line between where the map ends and the UCB begins. Furthermore, how are we to respond to people who sit in their uncap with snipers/armor/etc. and take potshots at us?

* Knifing is here to stay. Yes, it sucks, and yes, I do believe that server policy needs to be clarified in this direction. But any rules are going to be difficult to enforce, but if I turn the corner and run into three guys you can bet that my first instinct is going to be to start shanking.

I expect that the rest of the things you mention (unbalanced teams, bunny-hopping) will largely take care of themselves as the SM scripts become available and server tools improve.

Proud member of the 21st Death Dealers.
        Swift, mobile, on target.

Comment

im just really disappointed in TG server play all around. people acting like children. and to be honest, i really hope the administration gets some tools at their disposal and start kicking and banning people, the play on the server is ridicules and needs to be addressed.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I do agree with you guys and this is great if people try to even out the games. But isn't it a bit early in the life of this game still? I mean it's hard to balance when the server population is far between eachother in gametime, unlocks and skill even. And then we have the issues with VOIP and admin-tools added.

Getting on TS and coordinate will help, but you are still lost if you haven't unlocked the defib even. And you have for example two balanced squads on the other team squad-bombing the MCOMs.

I know it's frustrating, but i think it will get better as more and more people get more into the game. And offcourse when VOIP and admin-tools show up. :)

Comment

Yeah, everyone seems to be trying to assemble a decent kit and bending the rules a bit to achieve it. Coordinated teamwork isn't really working at the moment, with some exceptions of course.

Personally Im already starting to get bored with the game and I want some nice squad/teamwork going soon. Can we get some sort of deadline on how long this fragfest will be allowed to continue? Lets say another two weeks and after that everyone needs to start acting like Tactical Gamers? Admins, any thoughts on this?
              sigpic

Comment

It's not that people need a deadline to act like 'TG', that should be happening from all of us anyways. The real issues are no VOIP and broken admin tools. The comms between TG is fine if TS is being used but we cannot work with the other players on the server and not in the correct TS channel, which leads to a lot of frustration. Admins not being able to deal with people on the spot is always frustrating but for the time being we have to get over it, unless there is an admin on the server that you are playing on.
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Well, the suggestions made about password protecting the servers would fix those problems.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                    I'm currently typing this in a fit of despair. The TG servers are quite popular as they should be. It's hard for even us, supporting members to get on the server. We currently don't have the ability for SMs to have a reserved slot. I understand that. There are not admin tools for admins. Bunnyhopping and general rule breaking is much much harder to enforce. I understand that. In game VOIP really doesn't work and so we're stuck using Teamspeak. I also understand that.

Here is what I don't understand. There are currently over 5 people in my teams channel in Vent. 0 of them are communicating. If I were to switch over to the other channel it would be the same case. Now I'll give some the benefit of the doubt and say that simply their mic doesn't work while they're playing BC2, for some reason I have the same issue. However the simple lack of communication is quite ridiculous, not only by TG standards but simple multiplayer game standards in general. The BETA had much much better communication then now and that to me is just plain silly. There's still text chat, and if you played on my team tonight you might have noticed I typed out "A" or "B" directing where not only my squad was pushing or defending but where the rest of our team should as well, because those in Vent certainly aren't. Very displeased.

Tonight like many nights before, I experienced a solid night of nothing but loses. BC2 doesn't mix up the teams, I understand that. So I casually asked at the begining of the next round if some people would like to switch over and scramble up the teams. We were down 2 people and easilly could start shuffling people around. A couple of the other sides best players join our side, some of our players join the other side. It keeps things fresh. Well not only did nobody switch nobody even replied. :icon23:

I'm not talking about close wins either. I'm talking about conquest games with 100 tickets versus 0. It's a slaughter, no ifs, ands or buts. Please I'm asking you all, if your side is repeatedly winning and you and maybe some of your squad mates are doing an absolute fantastic job. Please switch over if there are spots available. Close games, win or lose, are a million and one times more fun.

Another issue I wish to bring up, is base rape. We all know what it is and we all know it's unacceptable here at TG. So why do I still see it happen in game? Is it just pubbies who aren't familiar with the TG ways? Nope I've seen TG members alike do it and that friends makes me very disgusted. Whiskey just updated the rules spelling out UCB abuse and still I see it done in game.

Some also think it's funny to grenade spam, and no I don't just mean hurling grenades and shooting your grenade launcher when appropriate. I mean people purposely throwing down multiple ammo packs, camping an overlook and repeatedly grenading the crap out of the enemy at spawn points, flag captures, etc. It's not defending, it's grieving.

Lastly I wanna bring up knives. The amount of knifing I've seen happen on TG servers is higher than any other pub server I have visited. And no I'm not exaggerating. I understand when you knife because you are out of ammo or you're lucky enough to sneak up on someone, etc. However I have seen people run head on towards you to simply knife you because right now it's practically an exploit in some situations, knowing you can absorb so many bullets close range but they can't survive a good stabbing. To me it's kill hunting and that is exactly the type of environment we wish to discourage at TG. I don't know if Battlefield has this gentlemen's rule but in CS:S it's generally discouraged to knife if you have a weapon (primary or side arm) that is able to fire. Perhaps something like that should be adopted here.

I joined my friend's server earlier this evening and I have to say I had a hell of a lot more fun there. A quick list of what his server includes, and what TG's servers currently aren't including:
                    -Tactics
                    -Teamwork
                    -Communication
                    -People willing to switch sides to allow for more balanced games
                    -No base rape
                    -Less bunny hoping
                    -Less Knifing
                    -Games that are simply more fun

I'm typing all this up not to attack admins but to give a wake up call to all TGers. This is not the TG way. The admins are trying. I've seen them all respond to those who are breaking the rules, switch sides to accommodate the repeatedly losing side, and lastly communicate. TG has set the bar for tactical, fun game play so why does the standard for BC2 seem to be set so low?

The next time you find yourself playing BC2, especially on a TG server please do the following:
                    -Communicate with your team
                    -Play the objectives, not the greedy knife kills
                    -Switch sides if you're repeatedly winning by a large margin or if the other side asks you to.
                    -Refrain from UCB base rape, bunny hopping and other cheap tactics
                    -Lastly inform others of this while on the server. Admins aren't the only ones who can inform pubbies and TGers alike about the rules and expectations of the server. You can too.

Thank you, sincerely,
                    -Sirus Barnabas Black
                    I'll respond were I can first off, I understand your pain in reguards to losing. I experienced today an 8 round streak were we striaght up got spanked every round. This even with good teamwork and communication through teamspeak. I witnessed multiply times a good 80% of our team defending one flag and get steamrolled right off of it. Looking at the team list both teams were even both in numbers and TG tag members. All I can say was that for thoes 8 rounds we were being soundly beaten. Its extreamly frustrating but other than asking that the teams suffle
                    members around I don't know how to fix it.

Base raping, bunnyhoping and the general asshatery on the server needs to stop and it needs to stop now. From what I've seen there is a lack of admin presense on the game(understandable they have real lives). Even today when we had an admin on "oniel" for what ever reason his admin tools weren't working in game. This is all well and good. The problem I'm seeing is that verteran members of the comunity arnt calling out this short of behavior when they see it. If you see people on your team were they shoulnd't be its not to hard to tell them in chat is realated to server rules. Then if this fails get the admins involved.

The last two issues reguarding weapons I'm going to have to go against you. BC2 is a ticket game, killing people by spaming grenades is going to win matches in conquest and espiciall rush, were if you get the plant off you going to do everything in your power to keep the defenders from disarming. I'll agree that knifing seems over powered, the best advice I can offer you is to play on the hardcore server were it doesn't take half a clip to kill someone. Knifing is not as effective in that arena.

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                      Well, the suggestions made about password protecting the servers would fix those problems.
                      It would also "fix" your unlocks right where they are now because the server would become unranked.....

Comment

Admin tools are steadily improving and you should see a dramatic improvement in our ability to admin the game in the next day or two. Up until this point we have been handicapped by the early nature of admin tool development. Besides rule enforcement supporting members can expect better access to the servers provided you jump on TS and talk to an admin.

Do note however that most of our ability to remove problem players has to come from the community teaching new players our style/rules and reporting issues to admins when we need to take action. Please make sure you are notifying us of issues on TS or reporting them in game through chat. I know the teaching part is tough without reliable voip but text does work.
                        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                          Admin tools are steadily improving and you should see a dramatic improvement in our ability to admin the game in the next day or two. Up until this point we have been handicapped by the early nature of admin tool development. Besides rule enforcement supporting members can expect better access to the servers provided you jump on TS and talk to an admin.

Do note however that most of our ability to remove problem players has to come from the community teaching new players our style/rules and reporting issues to admins when we need to take action. Please make sure you are notifying us of issues on TS or reporting them in game through chat. I know the teaching part is tough without reliable voip but text does work.
                          Perhaps you can copy this type of sticky into these forums?
                          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

I completely agree with Reaper. Lack of admin tools and VOIP makes its it more than just difficult to coordinate teamwork. The difference between pubbing and hoping in TS and playing with my IHS is a completely different experience.

As far as reporting, at this point it's almost useless the few times I've seen admins on they don't have the tools to do anything about any rule breaking. And lets face it, any new person coming to this server doesn't know the rules. How would they if all they're doing is just logging into a popular server?

Knifing in this game isn't about getting tags as already has been mentioned, rather it's useful and tactical. For example, lets say you run into the back of a building with multiple enemies facing out the windows. If I use my assault rifle I'll kill one or two and give away my position. However if I knife them one by one they'll have no indication that I'm up there. That's just one example I've had but people me there are many more. Simply put, knives in this game are really good and should be used for CQC.

I really don't get your complaint about using grenades to hold a flag. If you have them you should be using them. What exactly isn't "TG" about it? Hold a high locations and defending a position with any tools at your disposal is exactly what TG should be about. Would you complain if a tank of shooting at a flag from a far away position?

Until VOIP get fixed and admin tools are properly implemented there's going to be frustration and team unbalancing and other issues. Many of these things are due to faults in the game not necessarily from TG players. This game has only been out for a week it's going to take some time for people to understand the game better, and for the developers to fix the numerous issues in this game.
                            Last edited by austforbeer; 03-08-2010, 07:40 AM. Reason: type o's ect

Comment

I will say this though, some of the best gaming I have had has been with TG'ers on a pub server. I dont know why it is, but the games that I have had with Jeepo and asch and the gang on pub servers have been some of the best. Every once in a while we get steam rolled and do a bit ourselves but most rounds are decided by 1 or 2 tickets. On these servers we hardly see bunny hopping and all the other things that currently plague the TG servers.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X