Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grenade launcher + Improved explosives = overpowered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenade launcher + Improved explosives = overpowered?

I have been using this setup along with extra grenades almost exclusively for the past two days. As I kill more and more people with it I begin to notice more players using it on our servers. So understand, this is not a "Noob tube is freaking lame!" post.

The bottom line is it is just too effective with the destructible environments. There is no way to hide from it. With practice you can one hit ANYONE in range before they can even draw a bead on you. I have had many kills where a sniper takes a shot at me from several hundred yards away, misses, I turn and shoot a quick grenade and he is dead before he can shoot again. If they are behind any sort of cover, just aim at the cover and they die. With the improved explosives perk the splash damage is so big you can easily get triple kills on grouped up squads. With one grenade! Drop your ammo crate and you can level any building in seconds.

On one map me and Zhohar and one other assault all ran with this loadout, we easily held off an entire team with one medic backing us up. The splash damage from concentrated fire was just too much. If you thought rockets in 2142 were bad, you have not seen anything yet. Just wait till more people catch on. Right now rounds are leaning towards the team who has more assaults running this kit.

Its not as big an issue in hardcore mode where the regular guns do more damage. But in normal mode I can run around like Rambo, if you are not packing magnum rounds, and don't hit me in the face on your first shot, you won't survive the first grenade.

Re: Grenade launcher + Improved explosives = overpowered?

gee really.....the 498 kills you did on me with it didn't make me think that at all....... <------------that is sarcasm :)
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I'll give this set up a try tonight
      sigpic

Comment

I've been messing around with this also. And I thought those 2142 rockets were bad..............at least there you had to set up your own distance. Here once you get the grenade arc down, you won't need to fire off a shot. I was on a pub server today where 90% was assault. All you heard was ::thud:: ::thud:: ::thud::

I am not complaining about this..........yet. But it seems a bit too easy to get kills in this way. It kind of removes actual "infantry" play from the game at times, you just sit in a window and thud away.
        sigpic

Comment

I would like to see DICE revisit the 40mm GL damage, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Proud member of the 21st Death Dealers.
          Swift, mobile, on target.

Comment

I need my 40mm nub tube.. Only way to be even with all the guys running around with the M60:P

It's powerful but as long as I get killed by the regular gun more often then the 40mm I won't complain about it.. There is plenty more weapons out there that I feel is overpowered that I would like them too change before they do something about the 40mm..
            Last edited by Abel; 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM.
            Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

The fact that you have unlimited ammo helps too. If there was another class for "support" this wouldn't be such an issue!
              A Soldier's first battlefield is always his own mind.
              - Admiral Constaza Stark

Comment

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
                I have been using this setup along with extra grenades almost exclusively for the past two days. As I kill more and more people with it I begin to notice more players using it on our servers. So understand, this is not a "Noob tube is freaking lame!" post.

The bottom line is it is just too effective with the destructible environments. There is no way to hide from it. With practice you can one hit ANYONE in range before they can even draw a bead on you. I have had many kills where a sniper takes a shot at me from several hundred yards away, misses, I turn and shoot a quick grenade and he is dead before he can shoot again. If they are behind any sort of cover, just aim at the cover and they die. With the improved explosives perk the splash damage is so big you can easily get triple kills on grouped up squads. With one grenade! Drop your ammo crate and you can level any building in seconds.

On one map me and Zhohar and one other assault all ran with this loadout, we easily held off an entire team with one medic backing us up. The splash damage from concentrated fire was just too much. If you thought rockets in 2142 were bad, you have not seen anything yet. Just wait till more people catch on. Right now rounds are leaning towards the team who has more assaults running this kit.

Its not as big an issue in hardcore mode where the regular guns do more damage. But in normal mode I can run around like Rambo, if you are not packing magnum rounds, and don't hit me in the face on your first shot, you won't survive the first grenade.
                Explosives were already instant kill before the +explosives specialization. As for it being overpowered, you can effectively hold off an entire team with hand grenades too, so this really applies to the following:

Any explosive + ammo box. And since you don't need to be assault to have an ammo box nearby (just ask someone to drop you one), you get the picture. You say its not a big issue in hardcore, but factor in that people have less HP, and its about the same. Less HP means a poorly aimed explosive will still kill someone in the blast radius rather than hurt him in normal.

So basically, you can take an entire squad of any class, + handgrenades, add an ammo box, and create a wall of explosives. How to counter this? Go around. Unfortunately, most people don't really get this part yet. 4 guys can't cover the entire battlefield on most maps.

I think its more of the matter you had Zhohar and Amp on the same team that made it overpowered.

Comment

I have enjoyed the medic tree and the M60 is a darling

Now I am going to switch to the assault tree and give that a go
                  linking what you are saying to this thread
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...t-unlocks.html

is it rifle grenade launcher
                  plus
                  7. Specialization: Grenade Vest 67,600xp
                  Description: Doubles your 40mm and hand grenade load.

and also
                  8. Specialization: Explosive Leg Pouch 83,400xp
                  Description: Doubles the number of explosives and rockets carried.

and also
                  17. Specialization: Improved Demolitions 271,600xp
                  Description: Increases the damage of solider carried explosives.

is that the killer combination that you are talking about ?

Comment

You don't need the Explosive Leg Pouch, as you are not carrying anything beyond grenades. Other than that, yes that is the kit I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
                      You don't need the Explosive Leg Pouch, as you are not carrying anything beyond grenades. Other than that, yes that is the kit I'm talking about.
                      yeah i guess the Explosive Leg Pouch is for recon c4 and engineer rockets

as for points i am at 20,000 that is quite a way to 271,600 ! for the Improved Demolitions, but thats my goal now
                      enhanced 40mm nades and the M60 seem to be the stars so far in the game

Comment

Guys... I've got an idea. TG has to stop using these overpowered weapons until we can teach people out of TG to not use them ALLLLL the time

Comment

The solution I hope DICE adopts is to greatly slow the reload of the nube toob. If you have to sit on a box for 30 seconds to get another nade you won't be able to spam grenades at the enemy positions and might save the nade for a group or someone behind cover.

Comment

The solution is that we accept and adapt, not git rid of it. DICE has the power to balance the game and I'm sure they will but for now its what we have, or at least what Amplitudo has :)
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X