Battlefield Drops SecuROM DRM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Drops SecuROM DRM

Just posted today, and blew my mind when I read it.

Battlefield Drops SecuROM DRM

One day, EA will start caring about it's buyers.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Battlefield Drops SecuROM DRM

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    One day, EA will start caring about it's buyers.
    Doubt it. They've felt the sting from things like the mass disapproval of Spore's SecuROM, and other major complaints. They'd lose more sales if people spammed the Amazon listing page with 1 star reviews that address the SecuROM complaints. They're just getting (some) sense in them now.

But, if they somehow do, we will all be dead by that point. It's the Game Developers that will care, and will try to make a good game and continue to update it. EA will neglect us forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
      Doubt it. They've felt the sting from things like the mass disapproval of Spore's SecuROM, and other major complaints. They'd lose more sales if people spammed the Amazon listing page with 1 star reviews that address the SecuROM complaints. They're just getting (some) sense in them now.

But, if they somehow do, we will all be dead by that point. It's the Game Developers that will care, and will try to make a good game and continue to update it. EA will neglect us forever.
      They are keeping it on the retail version, and only doing this with the steam version. Either way both EA and Game Developers get their money, and we who use steam don't get limit installs and other stuff that's a pain. So it's all good actually!

Comment

I'm with superfast here, not sure what is all bad about this?

what blew your mind about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Superfast View Post
          They are keeping it on the retail version, and only doing this with the steam version. Either way both EA and Game Developers get their money, and we who use steam don't get limit installs and other stuff that's a pain. So it's all good actually!
          Yeah, it is good, I'm not saying it's bad at all. They'll probably remove it from retail at some point if people start complaining.

I'm just saying that EA is getting their moneys worth, and that is their drive in this matter. Game Devs are who we should be dropping jaws at, not EA.

Comment

Just one more reason to love Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
              I'm with superfast here, not sure what is all bad about this?

what blew your mind about it?
              It blew my mind because EA finally backed down. Steam has been saying for a long time they didn't need extra DRM, but EA and others insisted it still be included.
              Don't know if you heard, but UBI just started using a new system where you had to be online anytime you wanted to play a game, even single player. Then as soon as it started using it, just as many predicted, there were all kinds of server problems on UBI's end and people couldn't play their games.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I see, it is unexpected for them to drop it. Although it is a good move for steam users, it would be great to role it out to other users.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Don't know if you heard, but UBI just started using a new system where you had to be online anytime you wanted to play a game, even single player. Then as soon as it started using it, just as many predicted, there were all kinds of server problems on UBI's end and people couldn't play their games.
                  UBI's idea sounded good but unfortunately 1.it doesn't work against pirates at all, which was the original purpose of it, they always seem to find way around all security things. 2. Servers aren't stable enough to work 24/7, so people who paid for it have to wait while pirates enjoy their fun.

I was able to play bfbc2 so that didn't matter for me. I doubt there will ever be way to get rid of pirates, but its hard to tell developers to "live with it".

Comment

I'd just stop trying if I were them. Put some sort of unobtrusive service that does it's best to stop Pirating, without affecting regular uses.

They're trying to come up with preventive measures to stop people who are fluently able to hack and manipulate files and services. You're not going to stop them without basically crushing the toes of regular players too. Pirates will find their way around anything if they desire it enough.

Comment

Well I got my copy from D2D (as most my games are from and I honestly dont have too much of an issue with it. If I had 10 computers that I wanted to install the game on then maybe I would...plus, I've already had to do a reinstall and when I uninstalled, it automatically de-auth everything for me
                      |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

I got the retail copy because of the ease of installation and the fact that I don't use any of my auths if i use the disc-check method (it's only when you use the "online activation" method that lets you play without a disc, that uses an authorization) something I wouldn't have been able to do on the steam version.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                          I got the retail copy because of the ease of installation and the fact that I don't use any of my auths if i use the disc-check method (it's only when you use the "online activation" method that lets you play without a disc, that uses an authorization) something I wouldn't have been able to do on the steam version.
                          I do not use DVD/CD drives in my computer so I must disagree. You can always "deauthorize" the game.
                          "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

The point being, I don't waste an auth if my HD crashes, etc. Which was a problem with my Sacred 2 install. S2 had a previous version of this type of deauth system (back when Bioshock and Spore weren't letting you de-auth even on uninstall) however it required you to uninstall the product or use the deauth program securom made. If you no longer had the game in your registry files, the deauth program wouldn't let you deauth and you used up your install authentication. I'd rather much just have my DVD in the drive (there was a period of 2 years or so where the only disc I ever had in my computer was BF2 because of POE/PR, I didn't even know they removed the disc check in 1.50) then run the risk of losing my auths to a HD crash, which I've had happen twice in one year, losing 2/3 of my authorizations.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X