Your Input Needed: Balancing Teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Input Needed: Balancing Teams

We've been experiencing problems with teams being unbalanced. The admin team has been discussing these problems, and think there are two primary reasons behind imbalanced teams:

1) Joining the server through your friends list causes a numerical imbalance. (You go to your friend's team, regardless of the number of players)

2) Inconsistent Teamspeak usage causes a tactical imbalance. (Many players are understandably going out of their way to NOT be in the team-channel because A) it's filled with non-critical chatter, and B) they want squad level comms.

We've come up with a few ideas, but would love to get community input. A grass-roots solution is always better than one handed down from above. So, give this some thought and post some ideas here - no matter how crazy they may seem.

Re: Your Input Needed: Balancing Teams

http://www.wegame.com/watch/switching-to-even-up-teams/

Comment

1. As far as numerical balance goes, this is the easiest to fix. Just "Teams?" in chat or jumping to the other TS channel and saying "hey guys, we need another player or two" has fixed it in my experience.

2. This is when it gets tougher (as I'm sure everyone here has noticed). Like the above issue, someone needs to say something to the effect of "hey, we've lost X number of rounds in a row, could we attempt to even up the teams?" Even then, I know that it can be difficult to leave your squad and the people you have been coordinating with for the past couple rounds. A reminder keeps people aware and allows people to individually step up to even the teams. Doing this and disregarding your care for winning or losing (especially as everyone tries to rank up) takes maturity; TG has this ability.

Comment

on a personal note, I caused some imbalance last night switching sides to play with another 8th member, without first seeing what the teams looked like. After I was in I heard talk in TS about the imbalance. I started to switch, but those speaking in TS were already discussing switching to the other side and remarked that, "Well if we switch teams to the other side half the team will probably follow us. So I decided since they were the determining factor, I'd leave the decision up to them.

Plus, I'm really a hinderance to my own team anyways ;-)
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I was doing that Saturday night. After one switch, the server wouldn't let me switch anymore. An hour after my initial switch it still wouldn't let me. I had to DC to make it happen.

Comment

I agree with what DrBeat said with number two. When i see the teams uneven numerically im usually one of the first people who will go over and try to even them out. When i join a game i actually feel like i want to join the losing side or the side with the least amount of people in teamspeak and i actually have a challenge which is trying to beat the other team that seem a heck of a lot better then us by motivating others to win.
            |TG|badbest321

::

Comment

One good indicator is to look at the TS channels. If there are 10 in one channel and 3 in the other channel, then teams are likely unbalanced in the sense of (2) above. The reason is simple, one team is going to be a lot more coordinated than the other. Numerical imbalances fix themselves fairly naturally - it may take a round but it won't go on for 5 or 6 rounds or more - because when new people join, they're put on the side with fewer players. I suggest, as a rule of thumb, trying to even the teams up by trying to maintain a balance of TS users in each channel.

Comment

:icon_mad:Well im glad someone brought this up to the community. Because our community needs a wake up call. :icon13:Team balanceing is the number 1 gripe I see in game chat. It was ok at first but now its straight disgusting and seemingly typed in every round. It makes me want to puke everytime 1 or 2 players drop (leaving teams at 16 to 14) and imediatly all you see is Teams. Teams Teams Teams. Serously makes me ill. I wish a player before typing teams would give the server 2 minutes to fill back up. TG in BC2 is becoming a community of whiners and its gross. Even if your team is down by more then 5 players it will fill back up. Now the numerical unbalance (17 to 15) or (18 to 14 - havent seen this btw) is alittle more understandable but still only needs a short amount of time to correct itself. What I would like to know is how these people are even noticing this if they are playing a game. I say this b/c you cannot check the teams/score while dead. So you must be in the game. I think it is a case that one team is losing and wants to put blaim somewhere other then their sub par performance. (just a personal observation) Now I have joined many other servers to play (mostly b/c ours are full) and have seen similar problems with team count and yet... wait for it... NO ONE COMPLAINS... OMG can you believe it. people just go on playing the game. TG's growing need to catter to whiners needs to end as it it promoting excessive in game chat complaining and ruines my gaming experience. Bottom line is this. Numerical unbalance happens on every server. It is a natural part of non organized match game that has players leaving and joining b/c of RL issues or bedtime or other games. Again, even if your team is down by 5 players the server WILL fill back up in a round or two. Stop complaining, shut up, grip your gun alittle tighter and play harder for a win. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to keep the teams balances all the time, with teams only being 16 on 16 I think it is just more noticable then previous BF entries. PLEASE can TG return to mature players who strive for skill in play not fairness of team count and player skill. This community is asking for an impossible task to be handled by our admin team. On top of that the game naturally corrects itself over time. Please just play the game. On a final note if your only way to win a game is to borrow players from another team, YOU did not win. As far as skill unbalance or one team losing more then 3 rounds in a row - Think of Highschool sports, your team is losing the game because the other team has 3 all state players. Does your team A. Complain B. Borrow other highschools players or C. Play the game. let me know.

A harsh truth:
                If your team keeps losing mulitple rounds instead of blaiming the teams, player count, team stacking, Teamspeak, etc.. leave the game and let a more skilled player join to make your previous team better. I AM TIRED of skill being balanced by admins/whiners and not in game play.

When did TG become a place where each side takes a turn winning? Is that what we want? Ask yourself because this community seems to continually cast out highly skilled players for complainers.
                Last edited by LordMeatwad; 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LordMeatwad View Post
                  A harsh truth:
                  If your team keeps losing mulitple rounds instead of blaiming the teams, player count, team stacking, Teamspeak, etc.. leave the game and let a more skilled player join to make your previous team better. I AM TIRED of skill being balanced by admins/whiners and not in game play.

When did TG become a place where each side takes a turn winning? Is that what we want? Ask yourself because this community seems to continually cast out highly skilled players for complainers.
                  I don't think people use the team imbalance as an excuse for losing alone. But maybe people are just a bit too focused on it, not knowing that it will eventually even out. The fact that the game is new still for some may also add to this.

But in primetime where the server fills up instantly, this shouldn't be a big problem. Otherwise, announcing that you are switching over, so not the entire team does too, is smart. :)

Comment

The answer is not team balancing.

The solution is each individual TG player doing their best to support the community. Remembering that while we log in to the game to have fun, we want everyone else to have fun as well. If you join TS and see 8 TG on one side and 2 on the other, if you don't join the 2 you have made the wrong choice. Don't just assume side with 2 TG is the losing side. People WILL follow your lead if you step up. I have people I prefer to play with, but if the sides are un-even I don't think twice about fragging them from the opposite side.
                    Last edited by Amplitudo; 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

One note about in game, the "only one switch" can be quite annoying. Many a time, I am on the dominant side and someone asks for people to switch so I switch over and soon, many others do as well. All of a sudden, the other team is unbalanced but none of us can switch back.

Former TG-21st
                      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I think it has to do a lot with friends and how you join. A mix of both. Simple rule is be proactive and if you see either the other team lacking players OR your team beating the snot out of them round after round, then switch sides. I would love to see teams randomized after each round personally. However things have gotten MUCH better than they were release week. Lot of guys stepping up without even being asked.
                        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Actually you can check the teams/score when you´re dead, LordMeatwad. Just press the escape key.
                          Anyway I think what Amplitudo said is correct, the teams needs to be balanced by ourself, play to have fun and don´t be so concerned about winning. BC2 is a game where you can be happy with your own personal performance even if the team fails to win.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't really care that much when I'm on the losing side. It's when the team count is 10-16, and the dominant team is raping the spawn that I get pissed. Numerical imbalance is way worse in my opinion than skill imbalance, especially in hardcore which happens to be the only place I play.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'm not going to quote his whole text, but LordMeatwad speaks the truth.

It is amazing how quickly the numbers on each team change even in the same round. Last night someone was bitching about "teams?", and I hit tab to see that they were 4 guys down. Said on teamspeak "yeah, they are 4 guys down", and Dispo said "don't worry about it, they will balance out on their own. I hit the tab key again just to see if I should go ahead and switch anyway, and they were 1 man down. I'm talking about the whole thing happening in less than 20 sec. And it wasn't from anyone actually switching teams, it was new people joining.

That being said I have switched teams a bunch of times just so people would stop complaining. Asch and I both did the other night and squad up on the other team. So there are people are trying to keep things as strait as possible.

This game being the kind you can jump in and out of (unlike PR for example), the numbers are going to change rapidly, and complaining about it only hurts TG's image as a bunch of wineo's. Not saying there aren't times when it is a legitimate cause of a loss, but people seem to complain about it every round some days, and Team1 will complain about it one round, and the next round Team 2 is complaining about it. Guess what happens the next round................

As for causes discussed above, I think the fact that you can't look at the scoreboard when your dead or when you first spawn in is a huge part. If I came into the server, and we were 4 men up, I would switch. But you can't see the score till your already spawned in, and running toward the objective or getting shot at. To be honest, I never even think to look at the scoreboard unless someone complains about teams. You don't have time to look if you are fighting hard and at risk of being shot.

Edit:
                              While I was posting Spyder posted
                              I don't really care that much when I'm on the losing side.
                              a lot of nights I couldn't agree more.
                              Some of my best rounds both in enjoyment and points wise have been losses. You all do realize you only get 200 points for winning right??
                              200 points!!!!! Thats ALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

When you are playing your best and getting like 3-4000 points, 200 points doesn't matter much. Winning doesn't matter much except to stroke your ego. So please guys, try and have fun playing with friends a game you enjoy, and loosing won't matter as much and neither will how many people are on the other team.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X