New Battlefield Bad Company 2 maps should be free, according to DICE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Battlefield Bad Company 2 maps should be free, according to DICE

Very interesting news out of Dice, and I didn't believe it when I first read it:

"We don't ever want to charge for our maps and insisted to (publisher) EA that this attitude was crucial when it came to keeping our community happy and playing together."
    Now do you see why I couldn't believe it?????
    A dev crew that actually understands something players have been saying for years?!?!?!?!
    I just crapped my pants a little! :icon14::row__685:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: New Battlefield Bad Company 2 maps should be free, according to DICE

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    Very interesting news out of Dice, and I didn't believe it when I first read it:

Now do you see why I couldn't believe it?????
    A dev crew that actually understands something players have been saying for years?!?!?!?!
    I just crapped my pants a little! :icon14::row__685:
    Me too!

sigpic

Comment

Problems I have is so far the "new maps" are just switching around maps that have already been included on our discs since release day (IE switching CP to rush mode) and have just been awaiting an enabler patch from EA to switch them on. It took how many years to get a new map like Fallujah on BF2?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
      <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
      DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Fallujah? You mean Road to Jalalabad?

The Rush version of Laguna Presa covers totally different ground then the CQ version. I wouldn't mind if they did that for all the maps. The maps are enormous, and you could actually get different gameflow/play experience by setting up objectives in a different part of the map. It worked really well for Laguna Presa anyway.

Let's see how it plays out. I'll say this: it looks like DLC is something a game has to have now to be competitive. Let's see what they give us. Personally I want some new guns and some new maps, and maybe an effort to fill up the gadget slots a little more. Would be cool IMO.

Comment

Heh, the way I read that is that maps may be free, but that doesn't mean that they're not going to release new DLC (guns, etc) that they will charge for. And would they then bundle new maps in with the new content so that you have to buy the content to get the maps? I guess I'm just a little skeptical...

Comment

Maybe they are reworking existing maps for different modes, but it really creates a totally different experience, even if it is familiar territory. The Conquest map for Arica Harbor is a good example. That section of the map is my favorite in the Rush version, but the style of play is so much different in the new mode.

I would be willing to bet most developers would want to give new maps for free so they don't split the community (remember BF2: Special Forces? Armored Fury?), but the publisher needs to monetize it as much as possible.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

In this case, the new maps are only applicable to multiplayer. Couldn't the argument be made that they are already be monetarily compensated by the continued per-slot monthly server fees? Doesn't EA get a slice of that pie?

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                I would be willing to bet most developers would want to give new maps for free so they don't split the community (remember BF2: Special Forces? Armored Fury?), but the publisher needs to monetize it as much as possible.
                Nope ;) I've never got the expansions, because the 3-4 months I was playing vanilla was enough to make me shelve it until we got Tacmod, then PoE showed up.. then PR...

During my stint of Vanilla playing I can't say I played more than 3-4 maps, one of which was Karkand, because the community didn't seem to ever want to play anything BUT Karkand, Wake Island, or Dragon Valley or whatever it was. 24/7 Karkand servers because they were easy to farm for unlocks, or servers with it on rotation like 5 rounds.

Slot-per-month server fees what? So TG doesn't "own" thier own server machine like we do for PR/PoE/CSS/etc? That explains the poor ping and performance, paying a 2.25/slot server instead of a 200-300/month server.
                Last edited by Bisclaveret; 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X