The "teams" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "teams" thread

A thought tied to gameplay: I joined up on the server tonight at about, oh, midnight eastern tonight. The server was literally FULL of SMs...on one side. I'd say about 20 of the names on the server I knew, a few I recognized but had only seen once or twice, the rest were pubbies. I joined a team and got about three minutes of gameplay before we lost. No biggie, until people started mentioning in TS that the teams had been "stacked" for a few rounds and people were ragequitting left and right.

Now yes, I know we all hate "stacking" posts, myself included, but this one is needed. Over the next 14 rounds that I played, the team I was on lost them all. Frequently when I would check the scoreboard, we were down 3 or 4 players at a time. We also noticed that people would join the game and at the first available opportunity, switch to the team that was obviously winning, which wasnt us (this was also noted aloud over teamspeak). There were a few rounds where we got downright steamrolled. After 10 or so rounds, it started to get aggravating and a few of us started just chatting in TS because it was distracting us from the anger that was building (which we later got reprimanded for...another issue altogether, but seriously, enforcing STRICT comms at 2am eastern on a friday night? we werent swearing, it was completely civil, but it wasnt all squad related.)

So yeah, it happens, but we need to monitor ourselves and kind of keep the server on an even keel. When you have one team that is literally 15 or 16 TG-tagged players (the vast majority of whom are IHS members) and the other team isnt and the "visually" stacked team (that being the former) wins 15+ rounds in a row (with the same players), its something to consider. Yes, we all love to win. Yes, it gets us that much closer to our next unlocks. But we're going to start losing people if it keeps up like that.
    Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 04-10-2010, 05:55 AM.

Re: If you're a supporting member...

Good work admins and Panzer my norwegian buddy ;)

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    A thought tied to gameplay: I joined up on the server tonight at about, oh, midnight eastern tonight. The server was literally FULL of SMs...on one side. I'd say about 20 of the names on the server I knew, a few I recognized but had only seen once or twice, the rest were pubbies. I joined a team and got about three minutes of gameplay before we lost. No biggie, until people started mentioning in TS that the teams had been "stacked" for a few rounds and people were ragequitting left and right.

Now yes, I know we all hate "stacking" posts, myself included, but this one is needed. Over the next 14 rounds that I played, the team I was on lost them all. Frequently when I would check the scoreboard, we were down 3 or 4 players at a time. We also noticed that people would join the game and at the first available opportunity, switch to the team that was obviously winning, which wasnt us (this was also noted aloud over teamspeak). There were a few rounds where we got downright steamrolled. After 10 or so rounds, it started to get aggravating and a few of us started just chatting in TS because it was distracting us from the anger that was building (which we later got reprimanded for...another issue altogether, but seriously, enforcing STRICT comms at 2am eastern on a friday night? we werent swearing, it was completely civil, but it wasnt all squad related.)

So yeah, it happens, but we need to monitor ourselves and kind of keep the server on an even keel. When you have one team that is literally 15 or 16 TG-tagged players (the vast majority of whom are IHS members) and the other team isnt and the "visually" stacked team (that being the former) wins 15+ rounds in a row (with the same players), its something to consider. Yes, we all love to win. Yes, it gets us that much closer to our next unlocks. But we're going to start losing people if it keeps up like that.
    I think the stacking issue tends to get worse in BFBC2 because the lack of ingame VOIP basically. So TG'ers that we are we seek out the teamwork going on in TS and soon lots of people are on that team more or less. Solutions are as always the clear leadertypes need to balance the teams with their followers. And when VOIP gets fixed this will also help with the balance offcourse, since getting some teamwork going in a squad will be easier.

Comment

With only 32 player servers, holding 2 spots always empty is kind of lame. Oh and I have been a supporting member for a while but due to recent financial issues, I can not at this time but plan to in the future just in case anyone says my opinion does not count since I am not a SM.
      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
        just in case anyone says my opinion does not count since I am not a SM.
        You are a TG member, so imho your opinion still counts :D

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

With the 2 "empty" slots joining on Friends has become more of a problem once again. You might join on one and see its 16/16 - awesome... just then 3 seconds later the 2 slots on the enemy team will getcleared out for the scripts. So a 16/14 balance is harder to see with people constantly trying to load in and get kicked

Comment

My solution for teamstacking= I play on the side I load in on. Whenever I switch sides to even the teams, it ends up backfiring. Usually you will load on the team that is losing since they often have fewer players.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

<thread branched>

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
              My solution for teamstacking= I play on the side I load in on. Whenever I switch sides to even the teams, it ends up backfiring. Usually you will load on the team that is losing since they often have fewer players.
              Except that when you load off your friends list, you get put on your friend's team. A LOT of people know this and are joining this way (intentionally, so they can join-in on the winning team.... we all know which elite players are likely to be on the winning team)

I was on Ferris' team last night and it was brutal. I still had fun, but loosing every round for most of a night... well its a problem :D. I think it's pretty typical for one team to roll 4,5,6 rounds in a row. No big deal.... but last night was different :icon_lol:

What can we do to fix this problem when it comes up? Don't say "players on the winning team need to watch out for it and switch to the losing teams", because that just doesn't happen. Don't say "players on the loosing team need to talk more", because that's not a realistic expectation either. Let's call a duck a duck and come up with a solution that DOES work. Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                In what game? We've not had this console style friendslist game joiining before.. You will mostly be on the side with people in your friends list, which makes it more likely that 1 team is all friends and guest are on team 2. If your friendslist is empty or team has 16, then sure.

Anyhow, balance is something they are working on, if not done it already with R9, but I'll wait to see if it works.
                BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Re: The &quot;teams&quot; thread

In terms of what's possible, from an admin perspective:

- There's no 'shuffle' button in the admin tools - only way to shuffle teams is to restart the server and force everyone to rejoin (NOT using friends list).
                  - With the latest release of Procon, we can move players between teams.

Comment

I WAS ON THE WINNING TEAM SPAMMING SMOKE!

See people what smoke can do the the poor enemy team? Ferris is totally devasted :)

There's no 'shuffle' button in the admin tools - only way to shuffle teams is to restart the server and force everyone to rejoin (NOT using friends list).
                    Is there a restart server option? *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      In terms of what's possible, from an admin perspective:

- There's no 'shuffle' button in the admin tools - only way to shuffle teams is to restart the server and force everyone to rejoin (NOT using friends list).
                      - With the latest release of Procon, we can move players between teams.
                      That might present a possible solution too! Insomuch as it would mean more work for our epic script coding team, would it be possible to have a server executed script that would autoswitch 4 random players from each side at map change? A full squad being hopped around every round would not only keep up variety, but it would be a payoff in getting to play with people that you might not always get a chance to play with. Now, I realize that the downside would be that people would wind up having to change teamspeak channels with much greater frequency, but what can I say, theres a downside for everything. ;)

On a lighter note, Whiskey, you were freaking supermedic last night! :D

Comment

I don't join off my friends list. I thought there was a thread about that a while back and the consensus it was bad and would lead to team stacking. My suggestion to anyone still joining off friends list is: don't. If we all just join the server and stay on the side we are put on, things will even out in the long run.

Part of the problem may be that players often would switch sides in 2142 to play with friends or IHS mates. Switching sides to play with your IHS or friends was acceptable practice in that game. Carrying this practice over to bc2 would lead to more unbalance than you would see in 2142. A difference of 1 or 2 players in 2142 is not such a big deal. Doing this in BC2 can change the tide of battle dramatically.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I can say I was on the other end of the situation W-6 and some of gang is talking about last night.

I can attest that I don't join off the friends list but I admit I do my best to be on the same side as my IHS. If there is an unbalanced side where they are on, I will do my best to make it over there and pull a mutual win for the server.

VOIP would fix a lot of the communication side of things....but i do my best to play with 70th as much as possible. Just being honest here is all.

Comment

No one likes losing. Much as we address that on a community level here in this thread, it's constructive to address this at a personal level too.

You've got to look at your actions, emotions, attitude, words, and the impact of all that on other people .... while you are getting your butt handed to you. It's natural fact of life that you'll lose half the time: it's worth it to examine what, how, and why you do what you do when you start losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
                              No one likes losing. Much as we address that on a community level here in this thread, it's constructive to address this at a personal level too.

You've got to look at your actions, emotions, attitude, words, and the impact of all that on other people .... while you are getting your butt handed to you. It's natural fact of life that you'll lose half the time: it's worth it to examine what, how, and why you do what you do when you start losing.
                              How exactly does this offer a solution to anything that was talked about in this thread?

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X