too many chiefs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many chiefs...

Until they fix/enable/give up on in-game VOIP for this game, and at this point I'm almost willing to bet that it will be dropped altogether... Teamspeak is not a bad "replacement" for in-game comms. It's not the same as 2142 or BF2, certainly, but it will do.

But I have to say, being in TS can be such.. a bother.. let's say. This may bring about many sanctimonious replies about how I'm denigrating teamwork and spitting on the old TG flag, but so be it. TS is great for general conversations about what's happening in battle. Contact south of B, headed to C. Tank at A is tagged, 1 hit already. Building at A is coming down. Stuff like that.

But please for the love of all that's holy, would everyone in TS (or at least the more vocal among us) not constantly act like they're squad leader for the entire team?

When I'm in-game, I'm there to relax and play, try to have some fun. I'd rather not hear someone whining about needing a revive, or moaning about the lack of medics, or the lack of action when we need to rush, or need to defend, etc. As long as I'm with my squad, doing something relatively good, I'd rather not hear the constant suggestions and occasional whining about how we're sucking, or not doing this, or doing too much of that, etc.

This post was brought about by a discussion in TS tonight (Sat) on the Isla Inocentes (?) map - I don't know all the names yet, I just don't care - where people were complaining about our side not going for the objective when that was clearly called for... and suggestions being made to actually report them for this behavior. Not bunnyhopping, not teamkillling, not jihading - just not moving fast enough to do whatever certain people in the game think is the "objective" that must be destroyed.

This would be funny if not for the fact that people were actually seriously saying this. There were some voiced opinions, that that was pretty ridiculous. I agree. Keep the chatter to a minimum. And people, please - save your Squad Leading tendencies until they actually get VOIP working.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Re: too many chiefs...

our community is straining under the lack of VOIP....it is the problem of pratically everything.....I can trace all the flare ups to the fact that we do not have VOIP....
    our community never talked about imbalance in BF2142 when there was voip....I had never heard of a problem of imbalance before in bf2142....

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
      our community is straining under the lack of VOIP....it is the problem of pratically everything.....I can trace all the flare ups to the fact that we do not have VOIP....
      our community never talked about imbalance in BF2142 when there was voip....I had never heard of a problem of imbalance before in bf2142....
      There was plenty of team stacking threads in 2142.

Comment

You don't remember the numerous team stacking threads in the bf2142 forum DocGuo? You even started a thread titled "Team Stacking and Unfair Games" on 2/26/09. http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...air-games.html lol

But I don't think this is what the OP is talking about. There's too much chatter from a few people in TS. Set up whisper lists people.

Comment

The OP is also saying that they don't want 1 person to act as team Squad Leader, or commander if you will. But without people stepping up to help organise the team, then it's just madness. I would say if all squads had a vocal representitive, then 1 person wouldn't have to try and do extra and make decisions for everyone. Each squad would simply call their objective, or request help in an area, for another squad to pick up on. If all squads are silent, and 1 person asks everyone to make an effort on 1 objective, then he is talking sense, and no-one is helping. I won't stop asking for everyone to move on something if I don't feel they are doing anything, or spread to thinly, OR if TS is completely silent of any comms.
          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

I'm one of the guys acting like a commander in TS . I would rather have someone telling me to defend A instead of B then a disorganized team running around like headless chickens which happens quite often when no one is stepping up to lead the team.

I should write something more but PM hit the nail here don't need to repeat what he already have said.
            Last edited by Abel; 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM.
            Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

At the moment we have everyone in one channel, with several people trying to direct the whole team and large amounts of squad level chat that mean nothing to the wider team. Occasionaly things improve and there are only a few voices on teamspeak for squad to squad comms and there is no general chat, but that is infequently.

It could be different if we all upped our game and had 2 channels of comms for
              1. within squad
              2. squad-to-squad
              the technical solution has already been found in teamspeak
              Last edited by Exploding_Silver; 04-11-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

While a technical solution does exists I would hardly call it practical. Yesterday when I switched from one side to the other to get away from the chatterboxes we didn't go a round when someone dropped out of our squad and another person added. Hard enough to guess which side to choose when sometimes people's TS3 names don't match their in-game names but to adjust whisper lists mid-round as well?

Radical suggestion, come back to BF2142 people. We've had our time with the shiney, shiney. :D
                "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I know this isnīt a "true" Battlefield game and I understand itīs a more action oriented game but...

When you had someone as squadleader as in 2142 that you joined because you liked their style, it wasnīt a problem to follow orders. Perhaps you didnīt always agree with the orders given but since you joined the squad you respected the SL and followed them.

When someone starts giving orders in TS to the whole team I personally find it kinda presumptuous that you expect someone to follow them. Why should I follow your orders just because you showed up to the party? And it almost always ends up being a shouting match between the most vocal persons in the channel and almost never helps tactics wise. And as the OP states, the really off putting when someone enters the channel and starts criticising your gameplay.

It works best in the channel is when you talk to YOUR squad, never mind that others can hear you, simply address your squad and keep the chatter to a minimum.
                  sigpic

Comment

Now you know why this game is called "Bad Company"!

I do agree that VOIP needs to be fixed asap as listening to 16 people on the channel gets confusing as you dont know if their comments are directed at you or a friend that's in their squad. I can not distinquish the voices with the players names except for a few individuals and that's why I usually announce "This is OldGunney ...." before saying something relevent about gameplay.

Comment

With all due respect I find value with open chat comms not to just your squad but to your team. As far as people giving orders, I view it more as providing guidance and for the most part providing battlefield intel.

I keep coming back to this and it appears there is a difference of opinion here with some...case in point: If we are having a strong rush at point B at North UAV side, it is my obligation to the team to report that specific type of movement with the enemy team and I would hope that someone would do the same to help the main line position themselves to help defend the objective accordingly.

In other words, if there is a piece of trash on my lawn and my neighbor blatantly sees it....I would hope he/she picks it up out of respect or lets me know as a result.

Comment

ok...I might have exaggerated slightly....but I'm still willing to say that I never felt the same way about team unbalancing in bf2142 as I did here in BFBC2......it feels different and it's still being talked about....if you look at the times team unbalancing has been brought up in 2142 and here in BC2 I think you would notice a difference....

sorry thedogwarrior for shifting the post...

Comment

Originally posted by xBadger View Post
                          With all due respect I find value with open chat comms not to just your squad but to your team. As far as people giving orders, I view it more as providing guidance and for the most part providing battlefield intel.
                          I think it is the difference between the informative, the imperative, and the derogatory. I don't think the OP was complaining about informative chatter, is a tad grumpy about the imperative chatter, and shunning the derogatory.

The informative is - "Enemies are moving on Bravo."
                          Imperative is "Someone needs to get to Bravo?"
                          Derogatory is "Why is our team so lazy that noone is going to Bravo?"

I've heard all three in TS. I have no problem with the first. The second is ok in light measure (better some attempt at coordination than none at all) but if there are two competing voices on direction then they need to clarify their team. The third, which happens all too often, really shouldn't. We may all think it from time to time but we don't need to express it since some people listening were occupied with other things, like rezzing the bloke who is being derogatory. Yes, true story, and I was the rezzer, and was not pleased that netting 3+ rez badges that round was "lazy".
                          "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

that's the problem of broadcasting your voice to so many people at once....greyed you should never take it too personally since that person may be directing their disappointment at other members....people want to vent their anger (none of us are always so patient at watching our team not work together)
                            but having a community where everyone has an equal opportunity to broadcast their opinion leads to some very derogatory remarks....it's impossible to avoid....within VOIP...it's only confined to your 3 other SMs...

with TS being the main comm channel....this shouldn't be a surprise to all of us that it's become so cluttered and messy...we're imperfect and even within this community it sure would be nice to have a gentlemen's agreement work but those agreements work on something that is being enforced and patrolled...
                            I don't think what we want to hear on TS channels is possible in the state we are in right now....sure you can ask nicely...but somehow I feel I have no place to ask other TG members to keep the chatter low (it's a sentiment reflected in the other teamspeak thread)...that job is given to an admin....a neutral party....the fair adjudicator....they already have enough to deal with...so yeah....
                            Last edited by TheSc1entist; 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Greyed I totally agree with your 3 perspectives above....we are all here to have fun and compete. There is no room for the derogatory and even the remarks that imply the derogatory. Last I saw on the entry splash screen it said teamwork and maturity on it.

I had to politely ask someone last night if something was a matter b/c there was some whining going on not just in TS but publicly in chat to the other team.....there's absolutely no room for that in my books. Counter whatever they do and do your best. If I get sniped by a NS2k across the map, Gustav'd/40mm, or attacked by 4 squads of medics bearing M60s.....just have to do a better job next time to neutralize that. If its a legitimate complaint, there's a PM option on the boards for you to use and direct over to our leadership team.

Being positive helps more than hinders....think someone mentioned that in this thread somewhere. I'll stop hi-jacking Dog's thread and apologize now :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X