No announcement yet.

What is your preferred game mode/type?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your preferred game mode/type?

I realized, as I read through the thread on server setup suggestions (say that three times fast...), that it's difficult to really get a picture of which game types are more popular with the community. So instead of forcing us to sort through post after post, I figured we could all participate in a poll to make things easier. Please respond as to which game type(s) you enjoy. It'll be interesting to see the results.

Note: I'm only including the main game types in this poll, as I didn't feel server-setting granularity was necessary. That's what the server configuration thread is for.
    Conquest
    27.14%
    Rush
    31.43%
    Regular
    25.71%
    Hardcore
    15.71%

Re: What is your preferred game mode/type?

Oh.. I do like the old conquest mode but then again Rush can make your heart pump in a way that conquest never can do..
    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Vote moar hardcore! :row1_7:

We haz muzak!! :icon_razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWV__SMt7M

Comment

This is my kind of hardcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzVdZ4ddd04 ... but BC2 hardcore is still awful. :(

Comment

Rush is one monotonous run n gun Unreal UCB camp fest. I don't like being forced to play it.

Comment

The thing I enjoy about Rush (if it is a good game) is that the rounds last a good amount of time and you get to see more of the map with an intense focus on certain areas as the fighting moves along. It also gives clear objectives and I feel it was implemented way better than conquest was on this game.
            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I enjoy the normal mode, and enjoy Rush. I don't mind Conquest.

What I like about Rush is the condensed, streamlined fights. Everyone must focus on those 2 objectives. Stalemates are formed and broken by carefully placed shots and giant explosions. Here's hoping to a mix between the Rush and Conquest gamemodes! ;)

Comment

You forgot about squad deathmatch and squad rush ;)

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                  The thing I enjoy about Rush (if it is a good game) is that the rounds last a good amount of time and you get to see more of the map with an intense focus on certain areas as the fighting moves along. It also gives clear objectives and I feel it was implemented way better than conquest was on this game.
                  This.

To me any PvP game which implements conquest is really, really, shallow. Yes, that includes my beloved BF2142. (EDIT) Er, to clarify, the game mode in that particular game. BC2 and BF2142 both have other game modes so the games, in those modes, aren't shallow.

The reason is simple, the basic premise of conquest is to avoid conflict. Here's why. The most common setup is with 3 points. Let's call them A, B, C. The enemy has A and B, you have C and you need to take another point to gain ground in whatever game mechanic the developers have implemented. A is strongly defended, B is lightly defended. Which do you go for? B, of course! Why go against their main force when you can just mop up a few stragglers?

A is solely defended. B, of course! Why fight when you can have it for free.

At no time in a conquest style map, when you know how the points are defended, will anyone say "Guy, guys, they're at A, let's hit them there!"

So the end result is a whole bunch of running around hoping you never see the enemy!

If that weren't bad enough there's companion problem on defense. "Well, someone's gotta guard B." Say the points are fairly linear but there's no point lockout on what you can take. Someone's gotta stay back in case there is an unexpected breakthrough. This is especially pernicious in the BF series today with the spawn-on-a-person mechanic. A lone person can quickly become 4-6. So the smart defensive play is to have people hang back from the main action. If there's no breakout guess what they do? A whole lot of nothing.

This is why most modern FPS games include mods other than conquests. Mode which are normally more popular than conquest.

Why?

Conflict.

You can't avoid the enemy. You can't just use the default conquest strategy of "Let's not go there as that's where the enemy is." Nope. When your objective is behind those enemies, you must engage them and you must defeat them.

CTF, Payload, CP (AAS on PR, Rush on BC2) all have objectives which concentrate the action into fronts. Makes the teams face one another instead of dance around one another. Ensures that even defensive action is going to see action because you can't just "Cap B and C and hold."

To win you must fight. Any game mode that discourages that conflict is flawed.
                  "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I like Hardcore... but only when there's enough people in TS to make a squad or two... other then that, Conquest is awesome :)
                    "Anyone" can run in and get a few quick kills... but it takes a "Team" to get in and out alive.
                    A tank is more then just a weapon to a dedicated Tank Driver... its a friend that can not be replaced... and a coffin, for his/her corpse.

Comment

Hardcore is fun when organized, but it lacks the pitched battles that regular entails. Medics can't really keep the front moving like they can in regular. I enjoy playing both, but I feel much more useful playing medic in regular than in hardcore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosati View Post
                        Hardcore is fun when organized, but it lacks the pitched battles that regular entails. Medics can't really keep the front moving like they can in regular. I enjoy playing both, but I feel much more useful playing medic in regular than in hardcore.
                        Totally disagree on this, medics make or break assaults on hardcore. Even if it's just a handful of revives, it can really mean the difference.

The lack of a minimap makes finding bodies a lot more difficult and revives uncommon, which means when a revive does happen there is a high likelihood that the enemy is no longer looking at them or their direction.

Granted medkits aren't as functional, but that just means you don't have to have medkit perks and you can change it up a bit.

Comment

Where is the option for both?

This is going to show a split in what people like, but I chose both Conquest and Rush, as I like them 50-50. This could feed info to say half of us want a server with just conquest and half with Rush. But no split.
                          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            You forgot about squad deathmatch and squad rush ;)
                            Having played neither, and not having seen them in the server rotation thus far, I figured I'd leave them out for simplicity's sake.

Originally posted by PM07SNV View Post
                            Where is the option for both?

This is going to show a split in what people like, but I chose both Conquest and Rush, as I like them 50-50. This could feed info to say half of us want a server with just conquest and half with Rush. But no split.
                            I chose both, as well. The original purpose of the thread is less to help judge what the server configurations should be and more to get a very broad idea of what people in the community do and don't like in the way of the more common (in my opinion) game modes. Really, I was just curious. :row__734:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X