Time of Day / Weather Map ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of Day / Weather Map ideas

Do you guys/gals think it would be cool if Dice made some Night maps? And/or maps with rain or snow storms??
    Please comment and/or post other ideas :D
    "Anyone" can run in and get a few quick kills... but it takes a "Team" to get in and out alive.
    A tank is more then just a weapon to a dedicated Tank Driver... its a friend that can not be replaced... and a coffin, for his/her corpse.

Re: Time of Day / Weather Map ideas

Could be pretty cool to have both some night and varient weather maps, although id prefer they made a whole new map as set during nighttime than simply take the ones that already exist and change them

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
    "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Well as if the glare or bloom isn't bad enough already. Night maps would be cool if we had night vision goggles. Or I guess you could just shoot at muzzle flashes. It would also be fun to sneak around and motion balls would be critical for not getting encircled. Same with rain maps. Sniper whoring would double in these environments I would guess. Imagine how easy it would be to hide, especially in a down pour.
      aka spartan421
      Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

We do have one night map already--the snow covered rush map with the submarine base. Nelson Bay, I believe. That's actually one of my favorite maps...the undulating terrain makes for some entertaining firefights.

I like the weather idea, however--maybe snow/fog? That should crank up the intensity a notch and avoid any problems with sniper whoring...

Comment

At least I won't have to worry about packing smoke grenades
          aka spartan421
          Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

We tried the night maps with NVGs thing in PR. It didnt work well. When you had your NVGs off, you could see the shadows of trees against the slightly lighter sky (and by slightly I mean SLIGHTLY) if you looked really hard, but everything else was pitch black. If you had your NVGs on, it was standard green NVG looking, visible tracers, etc. But it was giving people killer headaches and making some people nauseous. Thus, the idea was scrapped.

Comment

I dig variety on maps. It is very possible and I am curious how this engine would handle those effects. Also taking a day map and making a true night version with proper lighting and even some new toys would give things a whole new experience if the map was designed right.

It won't be long until we can get in game weather and daytime cycles in these multiplayer games. The tech already exists but is a huge resource hog which at the end of the day is not worth it (being a resource hog) from a developers point of view.
              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

If there's one element I miss from Battlefield style games it was the day to night cycle that Joint Operations had. Fighting from dawn to dusk and then from night to dawn again was such a great feature.

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                  It won't be long until we can get in game weather and daytime cycles in these multiplayer games. The tech already exists but is a huge resource hog which at the end of the day is not worth it (being a resource hog) from a developers point of view.
                  Actually it will be quite a while. MMORPGs, where one would expect true day/night cycles and weather effects, have had a spotty implementation at best. The day/night cycles change the graphics nominally and weather is often purely cosmetic with no real impact on game play. In fact most MMOs eschew weather effects entirely even though having them in often helps with immersion completely.

Planetside had some weather effects but they were so random and unimportant that they were largely ignored. I think they were later scrapped completely.

With that said we have both already. Nelson Bay, as pointed out, is a night map. White Pass has some snow on it. Atacama Desert's dust can be quite maddening at times.

The smaller multiplayer games probably won't implement it for years, if not a decade or so, to come. The larger players where immersion really is a draw need to step up and do it first; and consistently.
                  "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I would love to see a river rush map, where there was this big river and mcoms on each side and the attackers have to fight their way up the river taking mcoms along the way.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I just want some bigger BF2 size maps.

Night maps with accompanying NVO's usually don't work out to well. I remember about half my old BF2 clan refused to play any of the Special Forces maps due to lag create from the nighttime effects and visual problems.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I would like more night maps, however any snowstorms would be a bad idea. On White Pass, which is snowing with a bit of wind, you can already practically not see 20 meters ahead of you. Think of how the visibility would look in a real snowstorm. (However, that could make for some interesting rush maps, with the attackers nearly invisible).

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Actually on of the coolest weather effects is in the single player campaign. There's one level where you have to make it off a mountain top during the middle of a white-out blizzard. You can barely see to the next part of the path and you have to run from heat-source to heat-source or your mask ices over and your aim starts to shake from the shivering. I think if you're out long enough you start taking damage.
                          "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X