TS chatter and "pubbie" talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS chatter and "pubbie" talk

I've noticed more than a few times in TS people will mention pubbies in the main channels. This is usually mentioned with some disdain, talking about the pubbies not contributing, or in general not cooperating with their squad- or teammates.

I'd like to recommend we don't use the word "pubbie" in TS, as occasionally, there may actually be pubbies in channel. It doesn't promote TG to talk down about anybody who doesn't belong to TG as being sub-par in terms of performance, gameplay, etc.

We were all "pubbies" once, let's try and remember that.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Re: TS chatter and "pubbie" talk

I think "pubbie" isnīt used to single out a specific player, itīs more the behavior you describe, "not contributing, or in general not cooperating with their squad- or teammates".

And how do we define TG as a community unless there are people outside of it?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
      We were all "pubbies" once, let's try and remember that.
      QFT. +rep

Comment

Yes, the term "pubbie" has garnered a negative connotation, although it isn't meant that way sometimes. Kind of like Newbie=Newb=Noob. A term that at one time meant someone new to subject X now means someone that is...well, a noob. While we may mean "someone not a member of our community", the term Pubbie can come off as "one who is not worth a crap and is beneath me".

What's in a name? WTF, it's not a BFD. AFAIC just call them NTG's if we want to be PC IMHO. Otherwise BIOYA. :D

Comment

I usually refer to everyone outside of my squad as a Blue, or blue guy.

Everyone on the other side is referred to as a hacker, cheater, or occasionally a more colorful word depending on the channel I'm in.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post

Everyone on the other side is referred to as a hacker, cheater, or occasionally a more colorful word depending on the channel I'm in.
            that made me laugh.....well played
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I just use pubbie as a synonym for non-TGer. The negative connotation might just be the way you perceive the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post

Excellently funny man..

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
                  I just use pubbie as a synonym for non-TGer. The negative connotation might just be the way you perceive the word.
                  I think dog is talking more from the particular context within which the word is used in the TS channels.

"No one is rushing the objectives."
                  "What do you expect from a bunch of pubbies?"
                  Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I usually make an attempt to give pubbies a chance and try to lead them using text and set an example. You'd be surprised how this works once in while and you feel like special forces leading native tribesmen into battle. Of course this is usually an exercise in futility but it's fun if something happens. Usually you can get people to start rocketing m-coms at least.
                    aka spartan421
                    Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

i hear what you are saying but anyone that joins \TS is no longer a PUB they are on thier way to a TG player

a real pubbie would never join us on TS unless they are looking for more in thier gameing exp

i hear what you are saying but there is way to many more problems with TG guys doing bad stuf on our servers then saying pubby on TS

Comment

If someone took the time to get onto TS then they deserve to be upgraded from the "pubbie" class of statements. In general, I refer to a pubbie as one who can not follow orders because they are not on TS. Due to this, I feel like I can justly stereotype all pubbies together as it gives an easy label (ex: if you mention the pubbie squad then it is quite obvious which you are referring to) and it is nice to have people to whine about without actually having to do it to their face. Random scapegoats for the win :)

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I applaud any effort to encourage class and civility, though I doubt anybody listening in on TS is actually offended by the use of the term "pubbie."

I'm probably a fine example: I don't post much and I'm not a supporting member (I just don't participate enough to justify it at the moment), which places me outside of the inner circle (so to speak), but I've held a forum account here for years and I wear the TG tag on the BC2 servers--primarily so that other TG community players will recognize me as somebody who uses TS and knows/supports the community ideals. As far as I'm concerned, a pubbie is just a random drive-by player coming in off the server browser (particularly one who ignores the game objectives in favor of stat padding), whereas anybody who bothers to show up here and/or on the TS server is already well past that.

Of course, I don't intend to diminish the merit of thedogwarrior's original point: when you're trying to build and sustain a community, extraordinarily exclusive behavior is obviously not the way to do it. I've seen plenty of previously flourishing communities choke themselves off in precisely that manner (my own long-dead Counter-Strike clan is a perfect example). Every group requires occasional influxes of fresh faces to remain vibrant (to account for attrition, at the very least), and most of those faces are going to come from amongst the "pubbies" themselves. Therefore, it would certainly be prudent to present a welcoming demeanor to random players if/when the in-game VOIP is ever fixed. :)

Comment

Good post! Using the term pubbie or noob reminds me of playing on other servers than TG. I think it's one of the many small things that make us different. We try to respect people and not call them names even if they are new or don't play TG-like. This creates a welcoming atmosphere that many of us also remember meeting when we first discovered TG. I would go with just taking about them like players and similar descriptive terms, even if they can't hear it, because we and others can.

Comment

If being on TS is a prerequisite to not being called a pubbie there are a few TG tagged people that are pubbies :)
                              aka spartan421
                              Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...