Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS chatter and "pubbie" talk

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
    I usually refer to everyone outside of my squad as a Blue, or blue guy.

Everyone on the other side is referred to as a hacker, cheater, or occasionally a more colorful word depending on the channel I'm in.
    So true!!

Comment

Just to be clear, are you suggesting we ban the use of the word "pubbie" altogether or just it's use in a negative context? I agree that we could use less griping about pubbies on the server or blaming pubbies as a reason for why we lost, but removing the term from our vernacular altogether seems a bit excessive.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I think the key point here is becareful who you talk about in TS because they may be there listening to you.

I had a situation like this recently. After a round a TG member was bad mouthing his squad. It just so happend that I was a member of his squad in that round and had been following him around and supporting him the whole time. That kind of attitude led me to not wanting to be in his squad anymore :) and I later sent him a pm reminding him to watch what he says about people in TS.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

It seems that most use of the word "pubbie" is with a definite negative connotation, at least in my experience on TS. It seems to me that as we put so much emphasis on being "TG" and promoting "TG" that we treat all players with respect, and make TG an inviting place to play and potentially become a part of the TG community - that we should extend this behavior to TS, since from time to time non-TG (I had to stop myself from writing "pubbies" there, I must admit) will find their way into TS.

My feelings on this relate in part to other issues I've had with some people on TS taking the role of self-appoint commander or team leader a little too seriously. Not everyone plays this game for the same reasons - granted, when you're on a side you're going to (hopefully) try and help your side achieve the objectives - but I don't want to always be told to defend a certain area, provide more meds, etc. I stick with my squad, play as best I can, and try to contribute to my squad and my team. Much of the constant chatter in TS is driven toward achieving the goal as the speaker best sees that occurring. As people get frustrated, they'll frequently denigrate the play or "lolly-gagging" (I actually heard that in TS the other day) demonstrated by the "non-contributing" members of the team. When I've heard "pubbie" mentioned in these contexts, and especially at the end of a particularly bruising round, it's definitely a negative term. Not all TS chatter is like this by any means, and I think some games roll quite well with the correct amount of tactical updates and suggestions for a team.

The real reason I posted this is I actually replayed a recently FRAPS'd round, and at the end, someone said we did pretty well, even though we had "one pubbie on our side"... Someone else in TS piped up, "correction, you had two" or something to that effect. Just made me really think about how when I first played TG a few years back, I probably wouldn't have returned if the general community talked down about me, my play, etc.

We just need to remember, they could be listening, and in the best TG fashion, we need to lead by example and draw them into the game, our tactics and style of teamwork.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

I think some of this pent-up frustration with "pubbies" is because without working squad-level VOIP at the moment, it is easy to get frustrated when you have pubbies in the squad and you are unable to get them to move together with you as a coherent squad which is not fun when you are trying to coordinate efforts over TS and the pubbies are not in the channel.

Comment

Fl1p that's a very valid point. Never being able to talk to or get the attention of some non-TG folks in your squad is very frustrating.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                I think some of this pent-up frustration with "pubbies" is because without working squad-level VOIP at the moment, it is easy to get frustrated when you have pubbies in the squad and you are unable to get them to move together with you as a coherent squad which is not fun when you are trying to coordinate efforts over TS and the pubbies are not in the channel.
                This.

Comment

I agree with that as well but here's a tip:

Ask if the people in your squad are in TS. That way you're covered. I mean I'm always in TS before I even launch the game so I know who I'm probably going to squad as well as who's in channel, but if you see some one join your squad just shot out to see if they are on TS.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Pub= any public server
                    Pubbie= any player on public server
                    |TG| tagged player in a public server = A pubbie who is a focused on teamwork unlike the rest of pubbies.
                    |TG| tagged player on the private server getting ready for a scrim or match = Defenetly not a pubbie.
                    sigpic

Comment

For anyone who cares, henceforth, and forthwith, I will refer to anyone not in channel but on my team/squad, regardless of tag ethnicity, as NIC.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X