The Current State of BC2 Communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State of BC2 Communication

We need to prepare for the possibility that in-game squad VOIP may NEVER be a realization.

The current setup:

Teamwide VOIP on TS3 that many of the team may or may not choose to join. Sometimes communication is great, but much of the time not so much. Lack of communication can lead to poor performance of a team that in addition to a bad loss can lead to that team constantly dropping players that are either leaving, or choosing to join the side that is communicating better, which in turn can lead to "teamstacking" for lack of a better term.

Possible problems with the current setup:

SOP not being followed...

Examples of what we do NOT want to hear broadcast on team-wide radio:

- "This game has pretty bad language, huh?"
    - "spawning in now"
    - "man that Bradley is totally owning us!"
    - "ohhhhh!!!"
    - "got to admit, this M1 is NICE"
    - "why are games always Russian versus US?"
    - "I just had to stab somebody three times!"
    - "ah man, I was changing my options!"
    - "it's pretty hard to see people in this brush huh?"
    - "hahahahaha, I tagged an infantry, someone take him out with a rocket!!"
    - "man, this turret is all glitchy"
    - "what squad are we again?"
    - "I'm in the UAV now"
    - "good shooting"
    - "is the bloom excessive for anyone else?"

Examples of things that HELP your team when broadcast over team-wide radio:

- "need help at B flag"
    - "squad Alpha defending B"
    - "BMP is darted"
    - "enemy UAV up near the water"
    - "full squad flanking along the pipes"
    - "tank ready to move on MCOM B, need infantry backup"
    and...

-People not communicating at all while in TS.

-People not communicating because one or two people are doing so much communicating no one else can get a word in edgewise.

-People choosing not to join the teamwide channel and/or sit in another for various reasons.

-Confusing communication. People communicating local intel to a select few and not realizing they are confusing/distracting others in other areas of the map due to a lack of proper Voice Procedures.

So what can be done about it?

-Nothing, the current setup is the best we have to work with ATM.

-Enforce the SOP better and strongly encourage everyone to use teamwide channels. Many don't join the team channel and join their own because of constant chatter, bickering, and complaints that can sometimes plague it.

-Learn the proper use of Voice Procedures.

-The use of "Whisper Lists". Has been brought up before, but never really caught on, and can be difficult to do on the fly.

-Revert to squad channels rather than teamwide.

-Run two voice programs simultaneously. One for teamwide, one for squad.

-Put whatever comm procedures we currently or decide to use in the text for the loading screen, the welcome message, and the @RULES text to encourage potential TG members to join us in good voice communication.
    Yes. They are fine the way they are.
    24.53%
    No. Something needs to be done.
    75.47%
    Last edited by Harlequin; 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM.

Re: The Current State of BC2 Communication

I wish TS would simply make a new program where you could have 1 subset channel in the main channel ex for squads - you could press one button to talk to your squad and another for the team as a whole.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

ahhh you mean the the beloved Channel Commander Feature!!! :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Whatever the case, it is probably already embeded somewhere but not yet used.

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Napoleon View Post
          I wish TS would simply make a new program where you could have 1 subset channel in the main channel ex for squads - you could press one button to talk to your squad and another for the team as a whole.
          We essentially get that once in-game VoIP is fixed.

Comment

In-game chat works for me in some servers and not in other. It would be nice to make an easier way to see who was talking - I have two monitors so I can glance over and see who's speaking in TS, but it's not very convenient and often ends in my death because I'm not paying close enough attention.

The way we did it back in the BF2 days was to have individual squad channels available in the TS server. If a squad wanted to just talk with each other, they'd move into one of the squad channels. This makes entire-team communication difficult, but that's what the commander was for. Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by PsylentStorm View Post
              We essentially get that once in-game VoIP is fixed.
              .... if that will ever happen :(

Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Let's be honest: if there's no indication that a VOIP fix is actually in the works, how many of you will continue playing this for more than another month or two? I doubt I will.

As for the current state of affairs, I don't think it's a good idea to complicate things further (e.g. running two voice programs or creating squad-level channels). That's going to require an elaborate hotkey setup and we'll invariably have people ending up in or transmitting over the wrong channels on a regular basis. The best solution is to stick to a team-wide channel and impose a loose form of voice procedure. In my opinion, attaching squad names to transmissions ought to be enough. Besides, it can be useful to receive information from teammates outside your squad in another part of the map, and team-level comms are the only effective way to get that without somebody in a commander-like role relaying messages.

This would definitely help a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by akhbhaat View Post
                  ...how many of you will continue playing this for more than another month or two? I doubt I will.
                  Ok... for the rest of us that will be playing this game longer than that, comms needs to be sorted out. I think squad channels in TS is the best way to go. Since there is no commander in the game we don´t need a "Channel Commander Feature" and if squads really have to communicate with one another there´s always text chat.
                  When/if VOIP is fixed this is how it will work anyways, I for one will not log into TS very often when VOIP is available.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Humjaba View Post
                    The way we did it back in the BF2 days was to have individual squad channels available in the TS server. If a squad wanted to just talk with each other, they'd move into one of the squad channels. This makes entire-team communication difficult, but that's what the commander was for. Just something to think about.
                    No way, dude.
                    In the BF2 days, the in-game voip did all that *FOR* you.
                    Remember?
                    It gave the SLs and CO one channel, and gave the SL and his squad a separate channel.
                    BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

Is TG still really active with BF2? I've been pondering picking up the 4-pack on Steam, but if ppl really aren't playing I won't waste the cash.
                      **Ne Molesti Te Deprimant**

Comment

That's "BC2", reforger, not "BF2". As in, "Battlefield: Bad Company 2", not "Battlefield 2".
                        Which isn't to say no one is playing BF2 - but this thread and forum are BC2, not BF2, mate.
                        BF4: Indiscrimin8

Comment

TG is very active with BF2, just not vanilla. Project Reality is HUGE.

Comment

Also, If you want to get BF2v only get the original + Spec Forces - the two other expansions are free with the 1.5 patch.

Former TG-21st
                            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by Indiscriminate View Post
                              In the BF2 days, the in-game voip did all that *FOR* you.
                              It gave the SLs and CO one channel, and gave the SL and his squad a separate channel.
                              Wrong, BF2 gave all the SLs a channel to the CO. No SL can talk to any other SL through in-game VOIP.
                              A long-run flaw in the system.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X