How 40mm rounds brought us home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 40mm rounds brought us home

As most of you don't know, in March 2009, we moved to Bangkok for my wife's job and were gonna stay for a few years. See someplace exotic, live it up, save some money, that kind of thing. It was hard to leave BF2142 behind :), but life's full of compromises. Things were going kind of OK for a while until my wife decided that her job was taking her away from the family, and we decided to come home earlier, to leave Bangkok at the end of May 2010.

Now, I don't know if any of you have been following the situation in Thailand, but things got worse progressively. Starting in mid-March, red shirt protesters moved into town. They were generally peaceful, but they disrupted daily life. However, on April 10th, the red shirts clashed with the authorities. We figured, hey it's between the protesters and the police. Plus it's in another part of town.

On April 22nd, some fools fired four 40mm rounds into a crowd of civilians at a sky train station not 500 meters from our apartment, killing one person and injuring about 80. Well I really freaked out after that and arranged for us to get the **** out of there. And so we did, leaving Thailand before the end of April.

If we had stayed, we would be in a government designated 'live fire zone', aka killing zone right now, huddling in the hallway of our living room with our 2 year old boy. I cannot put into word just how amazing it feels to be living stateside (Portland, OR BTW), knowing the s*** we'd be in if we had stayed 'to see how it unfolds'.

So here we are, safe and sound, living a normal life, watching the story in Bangkok with a bizarre feeling of horror and relief.

And as an added bonus of running back to the States, I get to get online with some old buddies for some BC2 action! My PC should arrive tomorrow. See you then!

Re: How 40mm rounds brought us home

It'll be great to see you on the battlefield again Bleeding.

Comment

Welcome back! Glad to hear you made it out of there ok.

Comment

Bleeding, you sir are a sight for sore eyes. Welcome back.

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright!
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Knee! so glad to hear you and your family are ok!

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Glad to have you back safe and sound!
              ˇTogether Everyone Achieves More!

Comment

Glad you are safe and home! Now I can shoot you! Virtually of course. ;)

Comment

You'll soon find out that those 40mm are going to hunt you down in game too :P

Comment

Originally posted by HellHarry View Post
                    You'll soon find out that those 40mm are going to hunt you down in game too :P
                    ^^ This. :D

Comment

Bleeding! Glad to see you and your family are safe and sound and hope to see you in-game soon! :)

Comment

Bleeding! Welcome back hoss! Glad to know you were safe and sound. I was actually worrying about you for the last few days, not having known you were already back. Jerk. :)

Looking forward to seeing you in game!
                        sigpic

Comment

We <3 you!
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

As a father of two, I can't begin to imagine what the must have been like. Welcome back and I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

glad to know one of our own is safe and back in the states!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X