Rush Mode Favor the Attackers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Mode Favor the Attackers?

After checking a bunch of random people's Rush mode W/L ratios on BFBCS.com (which is the only site I've found that tracks Rush separately) it seems everyone, with very few exceptions, has a much higher W/L ratio as attacker than as a defender.

In fact most have a really great ratio as attacker and really terrible ratio as a defender (like me 4.50/0.47). I just find it odd that the team that has limited tickets and has to do the "rushing" has the advantage vs. the team with unlimited tickets and can dig in.

Why is this, and was this intended, or just the way it turned out?

Re: Rush Mode Favor the Attackers?

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say it has to do with the Defenders having only the option of preventing damage, no recovery or anything else. So with unlimited Mortar Strikes, easily destroyed buildings, and the general map design giving the high ground to the Attackers more often than not, the targets are easily picked off. Additionally, subsequent sections are always reset to a default value of 99 tickets, regardless of if the Attackers completely dominated or the last Attacker on the last ticket pulled it off. Defenders might rule the roost but the one squad that makes it through can wreck their day quite handily.

If I could change the design, I'd make it +50 tickets (give or take, and up to the maximum of 99, of course) for a successful strike rather than a guaranteed reset.

:

Design limitations aside, Rush is, in my opinion, probably more dependent on the entire team working together, at least as opposed to Conquest. Squad Alpha might be utter beasts and destroying the Attackers but if they're in a forward position, they still have to call on everyone else to deal with stealth bombers. Conquest seems to give a little more leeway on the teamwork, letting individual squads dictate overall flow in segregated pockets around the map.

:

That also said, you're looking at global stats. 1337snipz0rinater420xx and his cronies couldn't possibly be bothered to defuse the bomb they're standing 15' from in a PUG setting.

Comment

If you think about it then it makes sense. It generally takes some kind of organization on defense to keep the attackers from blowing the M-Coms where all it takes is for a single lone wolf to break thru and blow them.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post

If I could change the design, I'd make it +50 tickets (give or take, and up to the maximum of 99, of course) for a successful strike rather than a guaranteed reset.
        I was under the impression that it goes back to 75/+25 tickets whichever is higher.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
          I was under the impression that it goes back to 75/+25 tickets whichever is higher.
          Yeah, the Attackers definitely don't get all 99 tickets back every area.
          ¡Together Everyone Achieves More!

Comment

It may, I haven't been paying particular attention to it. Took a break from the game for a month so I could get reacquainted with the patch changes, so I've forgotten how it works exactly.

Comment

Oh, definitely. For several reasons:

1.) It's possible to destroy the MCOMs in several ways, from a distance and otherwise, especially on certain maps (destroying the building the MCOM resides in, and hitting it with C4 or mortars).
              2.) The defenders don't actually spawn right on top of them--they spawn back a bit. This means that the a successful assault that kills a lot of defenders will give the attacking side a lot of time to set the charge and position themselves to defend the counterattack. They can also generally predict the direction that the counterattack will be coming from.
              3.) Because there's no need to be concerned with tickets, defenders rarely seem to utilize the medic train that their attacking counterparts often use. This makes it much easier for the attackers to clear their opponents off of a spot than vice versa. Funny thing is, the medic train is actually even more effective for defenders than it is for attackers...the first little island on Isla Innocentes is almost impenetrable if the defending team goes pure medic.
              4.) Due to the time/distance constraints they're working against, organization is much more crucial for the defending side than the attacking side...and on a VOIP-less server open to the public, organization is hard to come by...
              4b.) On most servers, setting a charge has a tendency to draw the entire defending team towards the MCOM that's being bombed, while leaving the other one completely undefended. It doesn't take more than one or two guys to exploit this, so most of the attacking side will engage the entire defending side at the other MCOM, and may very well fend them off (as they have the upper hand once the charge is set), while the second MCOM is then almost invariably destroyed regardless of what happens at the other one.

All of that said, a well organized defensive side will give the attackers a lot of fits despite their advantages, and should actually win more often than not. All it really takes is a team that hangs back a bit with a clear line on the MCOMs (to keep enemies off of it while avoiding exposure to easy mortar/grenade/rocket attacks) and doesn't flock and panic right into a killing zone when a charge actually is planted.

Comment

#1 Snipers
                #2 Not defusing bombs
                #3 Not covering those who are disarming and instead you end up with 3-4 people trying to disarm at once - 2 max gentlemen
                #4 The switch kits button being the SAME as DISARM bomb

I could list more i'm sure but those would be the top four.

EDIT: added #4.

Comment

If your team isn´t very good/organized you can still be successful at defending.
                  If your team isn´t very good/organized and you´re attacking you won´t stand a chance, unless you use the lonewolf C4 methods.
                  sigpic

Comment

My stats read for a huge difference in win to loss ratio as well but honestly that just seems wrong from how I recall previous games. To me it seems that I win a lot less attacking on Rush as it is rare that I ever see a game go to the final board as attacker or defender.

My theory is perhaps the stat is pulling in each leg of the RUsh map to be a separate win loss. If that is the case then to me those stats would make a lot of sense as I feel that I tend to win most of the time on defense.
                    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post

Isn't that the way it is now?

Comment

Also don't forget the lack of a start timer. In almost every case where I'm on the defending team, at least one and sometimes both MCOMS have had charges set at them before I can even spawn and my load time is better than average from what I can tell.

I also find the equipment load outs to be very unequal on certain Rush maps - Valpariso being the most obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
                          Also don't forget the lack of a start timer. In almost every case where I'm on the defending team, at least one and sometimes both MCOMS have had charges set at them before I can even spawn and my load time is better than average from what I can tell.

I also find the equipment load outs to be very unequal on certain Rush maps - Valpariso being the most obvious.
                          Pretty sure there is a start timer now, I always have to wait 4 or 5 seconds when I load up, you must be loading slow.

Comment

There is a start timer now. Has been for a few weeks, in fact.

BTW, how do you figure that BFBCS tracks Rush mode separately? Right now my stats are 131 wins, 130 losses. In the "Team Stats" section my wins are 79 attacker and 52 defender for a total of 131. Losses are 48 attacker and 82 defender for a total of 130. However I have played on TG's servers primarily. That means my 131 wins and 130 losses are for both Rush and Conquest modes. Since the Team Stats section matches that it is clearly not for Rush stats only.

My hypothesis? Conquest counts as Attack for both sides while Rush has Attack on one side and Defend on another. So the only time you win or lose as a defender is on Rush but you win/lose as an attacker on both map modes; thus skewing the numbers.
                            "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I have noticed that to0 and personaly have a 2:1 win ration as attacker over defender

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X