Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building up morale in a losing team?

Gents --

It's often the case that I walk into a losing team, and it's often the case that there exists a defeatist attitude -- "Oh, their team is stacked, they've won 5 rounds, why even bother trying?"

I really don't like that attitude, and I want to spread an attitude of "We might lose, we might win, whatever the case, we'll give them one hell of a fight!"

How do we build morale? What specific ingame actions can we do to change a team channel's attitude around? What can we do to get a fighting spirit in people?

I've noticed a *huge* boost in morale when two smart shooters are converted into medics to keep a push going, to keep people alive. Medics are a huge boon to morale, and it's an ingame action.
    Is it solely an attitude that people spread with their voice, or can ingame actions build morale too? What difference can a single person make? How do we get the snowball rolling, to get more people to be infected with a fighting spirit?

We need more ideas like this, to turn down teams into fighting teams.

Re: Building up morale in a losing team?

The old saying goes, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. I make it my mission to stay positive in TS. I might be smacking my fists on my desk or pulling out my hair, but you would never know. Why? It isn't constructive or helpful to be negative; you only hurt morale and make the team play worse.

Comment

As much as it is a break in what many consider to be comms SOPs, whenever I encounter a situation like this, I make it a point to boost the morale of those around me. Often tossing a little pebble can make big waves. Quick messages likt "thanks for the revive, lets get em!" or "nice shot! keep it up!" being peppered in comms when a team is feeling a big slump can help boost people's spirits. Now, I'm not advocating that everyone does that, its not suited to all of us and it can clutter comms if too many people are doing it. But if you notice that its dead silent or people are complaining, pipe up and try and get the ball rolling.

Comment

I usually say something like "MEN! Fix Bayonets!" Then I scream C'CHARGE!!!' Usually it makes for a good laugh when I am the only one that charges and gets slaughterd. Lightens the mood for my team.
        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Well, Abel and a few others gave Scrim Team Alpha some interesting Swedish moral boosts about 30 minutes before the scrimmage but lets not go into those. I personally find that trying to encourage people through TS is usually less effective then having a single coherent squad make a smart flanking push - that usually gets people A: excited and B: involved in the match.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

The morale is always high when we have 10+ people per TS3 channel communicating and laying out ideas how to counter the superior teams attacks. I personally prefer playing against stronger team as i like challenge and i can learn a lot from skilled player by playing against them. I know that 10 death streak can be painful but its surly not us much painful as hearing your team mates whining about team stacking, or uneven teams (where there's only two players missing) and destroying teams morale by giving up early and handing victory to opponent on a silver platter.
            If you would like to whine do it here in the forums so we can have lot more of good close score games which at the end don't really matter if lost or won.
            sigpic

Comment

Heh, I always tried to organize bayonet charges as the Germans in Day of Defeat.

Yeah, we can be encouraging to people, set an example as a team player by reviving, supplying, throwing motion mines. I think people feel alone when they are getting steamrolled. It's so nice when someone takes the initiative and does what needs to be done. That's probably why my class stats are roughly close together. A lot of people seem to get stuck with a class they want to play and can't sacrifice for the team by switching to something else. I'm sure if you took ownership of your squad and started providing leadership that would help too.
              1. Provide leadership
              2. Do what needs to be done
              3. Thump your spear into the ground. "THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT. THIS IS WHERE THEY DIE!"
              aka spartan421
              Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

I usually suggest that we should attempt to lose with dignity and give the other team a good fight by setting achievable goals.

When it is clear the teams are stacked and you are going to lose, suck it up and say something along the lines of the following:

"Alright, lets see if we can just hold this one flag, screw em, they may win the war, but lets hold this one objective."

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Whenever it feels like your team is overwhelmed because you're undermanned, less talented or carrying extra non-TG players who aren't interested in teamwork, I always think the key is to stay positive by focusing on the objectives and what you have to do. Focus on doing whatever you have to do to help your team, help your squad, improve communications and become more effective as a whole. There are so many things that you can do on a team thats losing badly: Re-organize squads to gather up all the TS people into the same squads, focus on winning the battles that you can win, try out all the tactics that you can think of for winning your objectives, if TS is quiet step up and reignite the comms, and most importantly, do what PennyFlame said and just dig in and give them your best fight.

At the end of the day that's really what it's all about; giving them your best fight and knowing that regardless of whether you won or lost you did your best to work as a team and fight admirably. Squash the negative attitude because that is more of a killer to your team's spirit than any of those other factors. Negative attitudes are contagious and make it that much harder for your teammates to have fun. Above all else, it is still a game and games are supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun maybe you should take a break from the game and come back later.

On the flip side, if you're on a team that's steamrolling the other team round after round (i.e. Winning by 40+ tickets every round) you should strongly consider switching teams and seeing if you can help out the other side or at least mix things up. I've seen a few people do this a number of times and it's really an example we should all follow.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                    On the flip side, if you're on a team that's steamrolling the other team round after round (i.e. Winning by 40+ tickets every round) you should strongly consider switching teams and seeing if you can help out the other side or at least mix things up. I've seen a few people do this a number of times and it's really an example we should all follow.

This can be tough to do for some people though. Not because of a feeling of indifference to the team that's losing badly, but because they've been ON that team (or have switched to it) so many times in the past that dammit, it's nice to win every once in a while.

Comment

Sometimes it's all about consolidation. I've been involved in several instances where we were pushed all the way back to a single MCOM - getting our collective asses handed to us if you will - then just the idea of having your full team defending a single area inspired everyone and we held and won.

I've also found that one or two players with enough situational awareness to actually see what's going on can help to bring back a disorganized team that is just running everywhere with no real purpose. Things like having a good run in a vehicle after your team has seen your armor completely decimated due to sheer stupidity multiple times in a round can make a huge difference. Even a well-placed mortar barrage or some smart UAV use that focuses soley on spotting can be enough of a spark to turn things around.

Comment

*tongue-in-cheek* And just how many rounds is adequate before someone is to make this magnanimous gesture? I only ask because I've played for several hours getting consistently beaten.

I guess I could always do the opposite and switch to the winning team to help bring down their overall skill level...

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                        This can be tough to do for some people though. Not because of a feeling of indifference to the team that's losing badly, but because they've been ON that team (or have switched to it) so many times in the past that dammit, it's nice to win every once in a while.
                        qft.
                        Last edited by draeh; 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM. Reason: don't want to speak for others...

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                          I guess I could always do the opposite and switch to the winning team to help bring down their overall skill level...
                          LOL...I've thought of this very same thing before. Since I suck, aren't I actually making things even worse by switching to the side that's losing and bringing my suck with me?

Comment

If the teams are skill-stacked and TG-stacked on one side with everyone on Teamspeak you WILL lose. There is no point. Sure, you could make it harder for them I guess, but if a team is winning 5 times in a row they usually will continue to win unless the teams get mixed up.

Comment

Whenever it feels like your team is overwhelmed because you're undermanned, less talented or carrying extra non-TG players who aren't interested in teamwork, I always think the key is to stay positive by focusing on the objectives and what you have to do. Focus on doing whatever you have to do to help your team, help your squad, improve communications and become more effective as a whole. There are so many things that you can do on a team thats losing badly: Re-organize squads to gather up all the TS people into the same squads, focus on winning the battles that you can win, try out all the tactics that you can think of for winning your objectives, if TS is quiet step up and reignite the comms, and most importantly, do what PennyFlame said and just dig in and give them your best fight.
                              This to me is the best morale booster. To me, a combination of "accomplishment" and teamwork is what gets morale going. Accomplishment doesn't necessarily mean completing objectives, but actively trying to accomplish them.

The biggest reason I leave servers is when it feels like my team isn't really trying... when only a squad's worth of attackers are pushing, or if the defenders are being too passive. I try and lead the charge sometimes, and nothing worse can break my morale when I find no one supporting me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X