This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mines on Mcon Stations

I'm not sure this has been discussed and I know there's a "Mines and the UCB" thread but I was just wondering if there's a rule on whether or not mining the mcon with what are clearly meant to be anti vehicle mines was ok. I get killed by them a lot lately and many times they are our own teams mines. My personal opinion is that they should be used for their intended purpose and that's anti vehicle but I wanted to get the final say from our admins on this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Mines on Mcon Stations

I'm not sure why a defending team would place mines on or around the mcom but an assaulting team will place mines on the mcom along with c4 for the extra explosive damage it causes.
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Bear, I believe Dragun is referring to placing mines around the area of the Mcom to keep ATVs from making quick dashes in. I found them in the pit at B on Valdez's first pair. A few times.

The bad part is that mines do move with gravity and nearby explosions. In the pit the Mcom is at the very bottom of the grade, so everything moves that way, plus mortar strikes set mines off.
      theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
      E Pluribus Unum
      Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
      Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoredBear View Post
        an assaulting team will place mines on the mcom along with c4 for the extra explosive damage it causes.
        Well that looks like someone using weapon in a way that it is not intended... AT mines are for vehicle destruction not to upgrade C4 power. This fall under using weapon the way they are meant and we can have that debate again...

Comment

before we start off on another long thread...

let's all take a closer look at the primer...the sops....and all of the ideas behind why we play the way we do here at TG...
          from that I think we can all make a wise choice on what we would like to see on the battlefield in regards to mines on the MCOM stations: don't do it.

let's close this thread.

Comment

Yeah Mines on Mcoms are not the way to go - just like MotionMines thrown with bait into the Reactor core

Comment

Originally posted by Lyramion View Post
              Yeah Mines on Mcoms are not the way to go - just like MotionMines thrown with bait into the Reactor core
              It's been a while since I've played 2142, but wow, woulda never thought of that.

Comment

Agreed. AT mines should be placed defensively the way they were intended. Not used as a replacement for C4 while assaulting.

Comment

To be fair, they do the same damage as C4 and are just as dangerous to the user to try to use. In fact, looking at the stats, the only difference between the two is how they're triggered.

The real reason they should be disallowed, however, is not that it's cheesing the game mechanics to use them this way but that they're persistent through multiple tickets, unlike C4 which despawn when the user respawns as a new soldier. Meaning the Defenders have no counter against them: The bomb can be un-set-up-us, C4 can be removed by killing the user before they detonate, and instant damage attacks can be stalled by eliminating the source--a ninjangineer can lay out a bunch of mines on a suicide run, maybe setting up the bomb while he does it and the Defenders can't remove the mines without damaging the MCOM, making the tactic a particularly potent form of mechanics cheese.

Basically, the way I'm defining this usage makes it a suicide tactic, which is clearly labeled as against the rules when any player joins the servers. E.g., it's easier to understand and enforce as a rule.

Comment

I personally could care less since in real war mines are banned I believe. Other than the fact that they stay through multiple lives I see no real advantage to using them. Also in war, I see the mine use as being a kind of IED type thing where when going for the objective you use what you got. I use mines a lot and love to place them inside the enemy comfort zone but have not used them in the way described in this post. Again, it is no big deal as it is not something cheap or giving a huge advantage IMO so really I could care less.
                    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

But they do give you a HUGE advantage.. Someone trying to C4? shoot him and wait 15 seconds problem solved.. Someone using mines? Shoot him and then there is nothing you can do.. They won't go away unless he deploys mines somewhere els...
                      Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Mines are like the gift that keeps on giving, after you've been killed a few times, then BOOM, vehicle destroyed. I've never placed them near an MCOM... It's dangerous enough just placing on roads, as I'll suicide if my own team hits them with a grenade or a mortar strike.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Abel I guess you are right given how long they last that eventually they will blow. I won't be doing it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                            I personally could care less since in real war mines are banned I believe.
                            I hope ya'll pardon the hi-jack but that's very surprising. Can you post a link / more info on this?
                            Far as back in my childhood, landmines in Croatia/Bosnia were placed and a real threat. I would be surprised anything has changed in the past 15-20 years.

(On the thread, I think it's pretty clear cut that TG should use AT mines against vehicles, and not MCOMs.)

Comment

I guess the ban is not official yet but it appears the US is in compliance. http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2010/03/0...-ban-landmines

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X