Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the TG BD2 Server Stinks to High Heaven

Why?

Because the teams are, up until late in the evening always imbalanced and more often than not it's really bad. The reason everyone has been giving for this is that the losing team continually leaves the server rather than getting their butts kicked but I think it's more complicated than that.

I've noticed two things in particular. The imbalance occurs usually during the earlier part of the evening before most supporting members are on. This imbalance is not near as noticeable or bad on other servers that do not have reserved slots. I know because I play a lot and I play on other servers more than I do the TG servers because I'm not a supporting member.

Let me explain why I think this is happening. Early in the evening the server fills up, one team is slightly lopsided which is going to happen. Server is sitting at 30/32 and I'm sitting there going back and forth between my favorites and history waiting for the server to get to 29/32 so I can join. I join up, but the slot I'm filling is most likely on the losing team. This is being magnified many times over as people join the server, except that most times they are joining the losing team simply because those slots are the ones that are more likely to become available. It's only until later in the evening when more supporting members get on that the server begins to become balanced.

The only reasonable solution is to remove the reserved slots or open a second server that is the same play-style as the first, i.e. not HC, no kill cam etc and make it open to everyone. Until you do this you will continue to leave a bad taste in people's mouths. No one wants to play on a server and get waxed over and over unless they are a glutton for punishment like me...but even I get booted right in the middle of every other game in the early evening.

I don't say GG just because it's the right thing to do at the end of a good waxing. I say it when it's actually been a GG and I say that rarely on the TG server these days. It's too bad, because this community is great, but Server 1 stinks to high heaven.

Re: Why the TG BD2 Server Stinks to High Heaven

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of this.

One side has to win and one side has to lose. It's as simple as that. Sometimes it is a complete shellacking and sometimes it's a one point victory.
    That's the nature of the game.

I also see plenty of TG players voluntarily switching teams to better balance the game - the 70th is very good about this. I rarely see this type of behavior
    on other community or clan servers.

Not to sound rude or anything, but if you don't like the servers, don't play on them.

Comment

Sorry about your experiences on the server, but I've experienced the same thing on other servers as well. It's going to happen, and often, unless someone really checks it, it's not noticeable to the winning side that it's really even happening. People rotate in and out, and only those who have been on for a while notice that one is stacked pretty good against another.

When you play are you in our Teamspeak channel? The info to join is given at the load of our server screen. Being in there can help get the word out about one team being stacked or constantly rolled over - plus it can help with in-game comms of course, and typically with one side's performance.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

While it can be considered a problem, the limitations of team switching doesn't allow us to rectify the problem.

The TG community as a whole is very good at recognizing when a server is lopsided. We recognize this both by TG tags and TS involvement. We do our best to switch around, but due to the limited team switches, we can't exactly move at will to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
          I also see plenty of TG players voluntarily switching teams to better balance the game
          Prove it.

When #3 actually has players on it (I don't play on X-Men mode, sorry), every time I've played here with more than one [TG]-marked player that isn't DeadMedic, the side with the better [TG] players always gets more [TG] people. Calling them out on it in-server gets laughably ignored.
          And then for quite some time, #3 seemed to be the stomping grounds of some group tagged [-BAH-] or something like that (at least when people still played on it regularly). It was astonishing to see how fast the server would recycle (and dwindle in number of) players when every Rush map was destroyed in 8 minutes or experienced total lock down depending on the orientation.

Not to sound rude or anything, but if you don't like the servers, don't play on them.
          To be honest, I don't play on #3 if I recognize too many [TG] names from my blacklist. DeadMedic can offset some of them but not all of them, and that's really disappointing for me. I shouldn't be avoiding members of the community while trying to enjoy the server.

The entire reason I was excited to see TacticalGamer servers on the list was because of my old Natural Selection days when the games on the TG server were so insanely well-balanced and fun, especially compared to the random chaos found elsewhere. Unfortunately, Wyzcrak and Apophis, as well as others I don't remember the names of at this time, don't seem to be BC2 players so I don't expect to see the same happening on these servers.

Comment

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that it really isn't the players, its the game. Because of things like low player count, no integrated VOIP, low ticket count, and the games being so fast paced, one bad player, or one flag cap attempt that doesn't work, or a bad start, or a crucial vehicle being suppressed, etc. has an enormous impact on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
              Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that it really isn't the players, its the game. Because of things like low player count, no integrated VOIP, low ticket count, and the games being so fast paced, one bad player, or one flag cap attempt that doesn't work, or a bad start, or a crucial vehicle being suppressed, etc. has an enormous impact on the game.
              I think you nailed a big part of it. A lot of bad game design decisions lead to this being such a big issue.

But in response to the OP when I can actually make it on the TG server, many of the better players are more than willing to switch teams most of the time. Until the game allows randomized teams, this will continue to be an issue but TG as a whole does an excellent job with this now. It USED to be a big problem but I just do not see it much unlike most pub servers where it is all steam rolling all the time.
              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Lead by example, and be the change you want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                  When #3 actually has players on it (I don't play on X-Men mode, sorry)
                  Was that really necessary? The fact that you speak so lowly of something you don't prefer instead of having the open-mindedness to say that it's built for some and not others says a lot about your viewpoint about things you don't agree with. I'm nowhere qualified to arrive at any accurate conclusions based on forum posts, but based on that alone, I'm guessing you see it more of a problem than it actually is due to your negative game experiences.

Hardcore isn't my thing, and I'm sure many TG players are the same way. Likewise, there are those, like you, who like the hardcore style. I bring this up because I can't speak on the behalf of the HC server, but in servers 1 and 2, things do become unbalanced at times, but the TG community does an excellent job of doing what they can to rectify the situation. Like the posts above, we're pretty limited by the game design. Even if we wanted to, there are things we can't control to balance it. We can't switch if we switched already. Autobalance prevents us from swapping players if the teams are relatively even. I'm not quite sure what more we can do to try and balance the servers.

Again, I'm speaking from my own experiences, but everytime someone points out a team imbalance, someone always acknowledges it and there's a gradual move to fix it.

Comment

Rather than make ill-founded conclusions on one aspect of my post that was designed to do two things--that is, one, to signify which server I'm talking about having particularly egregious issues and two, preempt any asinine suggestions of "lol, maybe don't play HC, lol"--and make dismissive commentary on a problem that keeps being brought up for discussion, you might spend the time to understand what I'm saying. But hey, whatever, I give. Trying to voice criticism and concerns isn't as important as performing sycophantic sophistry.

Yes, I'm being rude but reading this tripe
                    sincerely pissed me off. Perhaps my time with TacticalGamer on Natural Selection and my experience with Wyzcrak, Apophis, and the other wonderful admins and members in that part of the community was a completely aberrant experience to the whole. I'd love for things to be overall better but when I read stuff like the quote from the members, it's nothing but insulting and makes me feel like it's a waste of effort and time.

Comment

This used to be a HUGE problem but now it's not really an issue from what I've seen lately. Now, I admit, I could have just been playing during some prime hours but it seems to me that when the game started to allow for a bit more flexability the problem severely lessened. So: I blame the game design more than I do the players.

Comment

One possibility is that I did play on another server recently which would randomize the teams every 3 rounds. So it is possible, when I relocate the server I will get the info necessary so we can contact them about how it is done, assuming anyone is interested.
                        It's not what you know,
                        It's not who you know,
                        It's what you know about who you know.

[TG]BlackBart / [TG]FatalCure

Comment

We have the ability to randomize teams now. However if we use this plug-in to randomize teams people will need to remember to switch TS channels every X rounds or things could get confusing.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                            We have the ability to randomize teams now. However if we use this plug-in to randomize teams people will need to remember to switch TS channels every X rounds or things could get confusing.
                            I think at this point randomizing teams every few rounds would be detrimental unless we can add a pre-round timer. I personally can simply alt-tab and change channels or use hotkeys to change channels, but some people may have slower computers where it takes a while to get out, change channels, and get back in. Also, every time autobalance switches squads etc, we usually spend around 4 minutes trying to find out what team is in what channel (easier with more people in TS), so a new general agreement or TS SOP would have to be made which could be a lot of pointless hassle for the admins. Finally, I feel that balance has become a lot better in the last few weeks. This could work, I just do not see much of a reason for it at the moment.

BTW, congrats on finding out how to do it troublesome :)

Former TG-21st
                            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Just to throw this out...given that each team in TS is listed as Team 1/Team 2....can we by default rename to Russian/US?

Would that tweak help out any?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X