Balancing teams in servers - an open letter to the 70th by a forum noob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing teams in servers - an open letter to the 70th by a forum noob

Hello TG community, I'm quite a noob around here since I don't post that much, though I read a lot of what is posted (in fact I only think I posted concerning the TGU, asking if there were going to be classes for bfbc2 bacuse I was really interested in that). You might have met me ingame or heard my outrageous italian accent in TS at times, but that's about it, I haven't contributed much to the community, I'm not obviously a well known member etc. but I thought I'd share with you what happened today on the servers.
    I don't want this to seem like an accusation of some sort or anything like that, that's not the purpose of this "rant", I just want people to reflect on the consequences of their actions. I have absolutely nothing against anyone, nor the awesome impression I had concerning TG in these months of lurking in the forums and playing in the servers is worsened in any way. I just want to make observations that I think might be helpful in further improving the quality of play in the servers.

Let's cut to the chase: this evening, as many other evenings, I joined server one and TS, finding two very actve channels on both sides. I joined in an d things weren't looking great at all for our team the 70th as a whole was on the enemy's side and they were easily dominating us. Ijoined in helping as I could and trying to communicate as much as possible in TS etc. The usual, after all it's a lot more common to join in on the weak side so no big deal at all. But during the next round: same setup, same result of total ownage, and the next one likewise, and the next one and the one after that. As a result the number of people in our channel started to shrink, with some TGers leaving replaced by the usual random user. After the 5th round played the same way there was almost no communicating in our channel, a big deal of frustration etc.
    This went on for a while (I'm not really sure on the amount of rounds but you get the picture) unbtil the 70th left alltogether. This resulted in one team full of angry non-tgers going against what was left of the other team, with almost complete radio silence on both TG channels, I switched teams to balance but this summed up with some non-TGers baseraping on a conquest map and sadly no admin available had as a consequence the number of players cut in half and both channels almost empty and completely silent, this at the time of the day that is usually the most crowded.

Basically what I want to say to the 70th is that I completely understand your wish to play together which is totally legit, and I'm not accusing you of being "too strong" or some other sillyness but after 4 or 5 rounds where you see there is absolutely no match and the games are totally one-sided I believe as TGers you shuld look to balance things up somehow. I understand that these things are less noticeable while you are winning rather than when you lose, and I know that playing together with your squad is great also to try tactics, to have a great time together with people you are close friend with etc. but I believe part of being a mature gamer is recognizing that and trying to balance things up after a while, especially knowing that you 4 together in those conditions were absolutely game-breaking, because as you see by what I wrote above not only do you spoil the fun for others (I was first in points of my team in at least two of these rounds we were losing so I had some kind of personal "consolation" in my individual actions, and I didn't have fun, I can't immagine how "bad" of an evening it was for some of the guys who were managing to do less) but you also ruin games that go beyond the ones you play. This whole rant ihas the 70th as the subject only because that was my experience today, I think the considerations might be applied to everyone here uf they dinf themselves in that kind of situation :)

I hope I didn't sound like a whiner, those aren't my intentions, I just want to play like all of you here I think the best games I can and as we can all agree on thos eare the ones where there are plentyof people in the TS channels, there's communication etc. and this wants to be merely an observation to help improve the quality of play.

I hope I didn't bore you too much with this lenghty message, and I hope that my shaky english hasn't faulted me for trying to deliver the correct message, and not to upset anyone because this is clearly not what I want.

Re: Balancing teams in servers - an open letter to the 70th by a forum noob

If anything the 70th are the trailblazers of switching sides and they should be given a medal for doing so!

And welcome to TG ;), stay a while on the server each day and you may see what it is I am talking about!

Comment

I know I know have seen them doing it many times and this is not against them or anything they were only the ones that happened to be in that position this night nothing more nothing less, and I'm not referring to switching sides when teams are uneven in terms of numbers, I'm speaking concerning switching sides even if there is only a one-player difference if the previous games have been unbalanced.
      I have experienced myself TGers always being the forst to try and even things up number-wise, I'm just saying that if I'm one of the best players on a team that has dominated the last 4-5 rounds I should try to switch side to balance skill-wise even with no huge need number-wise

Comment

I'm just saying that if I'm one of the best players on a team that has dominated the last 4-5 rounds I should try to switch side to balance skill-wise even with no huge need number-wise
        This does happen, just keep playing on the server for a few weeks and you will realize that the winning team for 4-8 rounds do mix it up and switch around.

Comment

I actually pay attention to that stuff, because the 3rd used to always be accused of that when in reality, we worked to avoid that. Anyways, I really do not see any particular IHS consistantly playing on one side, nor do I begrudge them when it occasionally does happen. Unfortunately, if you are a casual gamer like me, and come on and suffer through that, it does appear as if stacking is a problem.

As far as the 70th, most of my matches last night had them split between both teams. Of course that may have changed after I left. I see them bouncing between teams at times when it is unbalanced, probably a bit more than other IHS. Yeah sometimes the balance is off, but I noticed one or two key people joining and improving communications and intel often helps even things out significantly :)

If my team is losing really bad consistantly, I will take the intiative to switch to the winning team to even out the teams, on occasion.
          sigpic

Comment

When we join the TG server, we initially look at Teamspeak and see which side has the most players on Teamspeak. That usually gives us an indication on which side is not doing so well.

From there, we'll enter the server and look at the current matchup and see if one side is losing by an unreasonable amount of tickets. We then move to that side if we are not there already.

If the side that we are currently on sweeps the floor in roughly four consecutive rounds, we will switch sides. If the matchups are fairly even, we will stay. There is not one person in the 70th that will sit on a side that is completely crushing the other team for consecutive rounds.

What I personally will not do is switch sides after one to two wins in which we dominate the other team. I am not going to continually switch sides every round because that side loses. I usually see the other team balance out after about three to four rounds. If they do not, I will switch.

Comment

I know that the situation here is far far better than anywhere else and again haveing played two or three months I know that the 70th is probably the worse example I can make in terms of average behavior throughout the games, it just happened to be the experience I had today, and today it crushed the activity in the server for a while

Comment

I only switch sides to make sure I am playing against Gunney.

on a more lighter note, i would agree with Tllyx on this. I can see how it affects both sides as it can get boring and frustrating for others.

I was taken back by your subject title at first but appreciate you being honest and candid about your experience as this thread has developed. Just like others have commented, my experience has been that the IHSs have been pretty good about trying to balance things out on this server.

Comment

Yeah, 2nd part of the title isn't really appropriate,I'll go ahead and delete it as I think it may mislead in understanding the concept I wanted to write

Edit: I can't rename, or if I can I don't seem to find how :S

Comment

I honestly feel sorry for the 70th at times. Even a few of them, when together, have the ability to skew the tables to the point that people become demoralized. I am not sure how I would handle not being able to play with my closer friends, knowing we'd catch heat for doing so...other than pub random pub raiding :-p

It is a mess, but sadly there isn't much any of us can do about it. Heck, most of the time things are going down hill, people can't switch due to team population limits. Just keep comms moving with good information, try to motivate, don't voice negative thoughts in a constructive manner, etc, etc. More importantly, when you reach the point you can't deal with it anymore, realize it is a game and pull the plug for a bit. I have heard a few people get really close to exploding on TS in the few weeks I have come around...it's worrisome.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                      If anything the 70th are the trailblazers of switching sides and they should be given a medal for doing so!

And welcome to TG ;), stay a while on the server each day and you may see what it is I am talking about!
                      I second MrMojay on the medal and your welcome. The 70th are also good at passing on their experience and knowledge. Most IHS's and TG'ers are good at trying to balance teams but the game mechanics do not always make this an easy or simple task and can take a few rounds to sort out.

Being rolled a few rounds in a row can be really annoying but I'm a stubborn sod so usually stick around and enjoy the challenge of trying to find out why we lost and give the other team as hard a time as possible. Here is a great post about how to not to lose horribly against the 70th :)

I look forward to squading with you dagdam0r.
                      We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

hehe looking forward to play with all of you and get to know you all better :)

"Being rolled a few rounds in a row can be really annoying but I'm a stubborn sod so usually stick around and enjoy the challenge of trying to find out why we lost and give the other team as hard a time as possible."

Hehe I tend to behave like that too, that's why I sticked around for all those games despite a bit of frustration XD

"I honestly feel sorry for the 70th at times. Even a few of them, when together, have the ability to skew the tables to the point that people become demoralized. I am not sure how I would handle not being able to play with my closer friends, knowing we'd catch heat for doing so...other than pub random pub raiding :-p"

I completely agree with this one, and that's why I did not want to be a thread that was accusing the 70th, as I agree with the fact that they have the right to do so, they are really impressive when they are together, especially when they attack on rush XD

Comment

Originally posted by xBadger View Post
                          I only switch sides to make sure I am playing against Gunney.
                          NO, no, no, you stinking Badger! I switch sides so I can get the glory of killing YOU! OldGunney does a little dance when this happens and it happens A LOT! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh the thrill! The Ecstasy! My blade is thirsty for more! Dang, OldGunney is drolling on himself again!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubernoobie View Post
                            I honestly feel sorry for the 70th at times. Even a few of them, when together, have the ability to skew the tables to the point that people become demoralized. I am not sure how I would handle not being able to play with my closer friends, knowing we'd catch heat for doing so...other than pub random pub raiding :-p
                            Well I don't feel sorry for them :) But this is very true, the 70th works well together, plus some of them *cough*Zho*cough* have achieved an almost mythical status in TS at times. "Oh no, Zho's on the other team" "Zho is at the MCOM" "Zho's sneaking around the East (North/West/South) side. Sometimes it's like the other team just gives up and stops even communicating.

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                            NO, no, no, you stinking Badger! I switch sides so I can get the glory of killing YOU! OldGunney does a little dance when this happens and it happens A LOT! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh the thrill! The Ecstasy! My blade is thirsty for more! Dang, OldGunney is drolling on himself again!
                            I think we all do this. :D
                            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

What I'd like to know is, why was I left out of this comment, in that when the team I'm on rolls over the opposing team a few times, people aren't complaining about that dang Dog and his uber skills? Or maybe they are in TS and I don't hear it?

Seriously though... It does get frustrating at times, when one team rolls over another consistently - regardless of 70th involvement or not. Often when teams appear stacked, they don't stay that way. More often than not, it's a factor of the Rush mode I think, in that the Attackers seem to have the advantage more often than not. Things tend to balance out after a while, and if it's gets so frustrated as to actually make you angry... I'd recommend disconnecting for a bit.

This has been a very good thread, very honest comments Dag, and good responses throughout.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X