Thoughts on Mumble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Mumble?

I'm sure at this point many of you have heard about it at this point, as it's been discussed in the other TG subforums, but I was wondering what the TG BC2's community's feelings were on Mumble. Given the lack of VoIP in BC2, I figured a discussion on these forums would be more relevant than other game subforums.

Since we already have a nice fully-featured TS3 server that does an excellent job of opening up communication, I'm not saying Mumble is necessary by any means, but it does have some interesting features that I'm curious about, namely, Positional Audio.
    - Directional audio: distinguish which direction communication is coming from
    - "distance" audio: the farther the communicator is from you, the softer his/her voice is.

For certain games Mumble can enable you to hear the people playing with you from the position they are located in in the game.[2] This not only includes giving a sense of direction but also of distance.
    I have yet to use Mumble with BC2 (let alone install it), but I think it's something that *improves* communication, since we can hear where the communication is coming from. I guess I consider it extra "information" that we normally can't communicate concisely on TS.

Pro's:
    - Hear approximately where communication is coming from letting us instantly know where help is needed
    - More "realistic"
    - Provided you stay with your squad, Mumble acts as an indirect squad VoIP given distance audio (hear your squadmates loud & clear)

Con's:
    - Already have a TS server setup for TG/No Mumble server setup
    - Since loudness fades over distance, that's communication lost that TS3 already provides clearly

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are...

Re: Thoughts on Mumble?

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
    Con's:
    - Since loudness fades over distance, that's communication lost that TS3 already provides clearly

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are...
    You can create (or the Mumble admin can) channels that act in the same way as TS3. In other words you can have SL only channels, where you hear stuff from different SL's where ever on the map they might be.

The Mumble thing has been brought out in this forum aswell in the past. The problem then was that Mumble didn't keep up with frequent BC2 patching, hence making it unusable. I have no idea if they finally caught up with the patches though.
    [S7]Hablos
    Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

Just after BC2 was released the mumble team released an update that, they claimed, would make mumble work with BC2 for directional audio
      I tested it with the TG admin team and it didnt work
      So I raised a ticket with mumble and they updated the plugin
      We tested again and it still didnt work
      i fed this back throught the mumble ticket system again.
      There was no update from mumble
      About 2 months ago i stopped watching for progress

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...72&atid=768005
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumb.../topic/3594242

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
        Pro's:
        - Hear approximately where communication is coming from letting us instantly know where help is needed
        - More "realistic"
        - Provided you stay with your squad, Mumble acts as an indirect squad VoIP given distance audio (hear your squadmates loud & clear)

Con's:
        - Already have a TS server setup for TG/No Mumble server setup
        mumble allows for both local and broadcast (aka force center) of voice. In PR there is a Squad Leader channel that allows for TS like non-local chat between squad leaders. Then there is the general channel the SL channel is tied to, so someone in the SL channel can hit one key to talk to all SLs no matter where they are and then another to talk to people near them including SLs and non-SLs. TG PR also has the teams on separate overall channels so one team can't hear the other on local as a kind of 'hand signal' workaround that also avoids a lot of taunting and annoying behavior.

Plus it transmits faster, pretty much real time, while TS has a second or so delay. I've never had one of those interrupt, pause, talk at the same time, pause situations in mumble. I prefer the TS interface though so I'd rather they just reduced the time and added local speech :)

Sorry to hear the updates aren't doing any good Silver, even the reduced latency isn't worth it without the local.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X