July 30th Mumble update & BC2 = testing needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 30th Mumble update & BC2 = testing needed

Mumble updated the BC2 plugin on July 30th and initial testing show it works but needs further testing

Download and install v1.2.2 from here
    http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
    When installing tick the box for positional audio and set a push to talk button

The way positional audio works is twofold
    1) its directional, if the person in the same mumble channel as you is on your left in the game, then you hear their voice in your left ear, etc. In our testing this worked.
    2) its distance orientated, the further away they are the fainter their voice is and there should be a point where you cant hear them anymore. In our testing we had their voice get fainter but not cut out at a certain max distance

I have a 8 slot mumble server you can test on

Log into mumble then boot up BC2 and join server, if you alt-tab at that point, it should say "Battlefield Bad Company 2 linked"

Go into configure / settings, then click advanced on the bottom left (marked in red)
    Then test different settings, the ones we started playing with are indicated in the pic

So test away and report findings back here

you can also use my 8 slot BC2 server to test, I have turned off autobalance, so you can easily get on the same side and test away ! Goto server browser and click "reset" to clear filters, then search for server word "Silver" to find server Exploding_Silver, password is "awesome"

ps thanks to DrBeat for aiding in the initial testing

Re: July 30th Mumble update & BC2 = testing needed

These settings seem to work

The key is the combination of min distance / max distance and minimum volume
    So at 50m the volume is 0% and at 1m the volume is 100%
    It seems there is a quirk where if minimum volume is above 0%, you can hear people across the map
    So try these settings, they worked in our testing
    Thanks to Damonte and jazy and bigeye for testing time

Comment

So how'd it work...?

Any crashes?
      Any problems?

If not, please get TG onboard with this!
      Skud

Comment

I feel like the best overall scenario would be to have teamspeak running for regular strategy/communication, and then mumble assigned to a different button for the times you need to say something like "any medics nearby" "can i get some ammo", or "look out!". Unless mumble has this dual functionality built in? I just feel i wouldn't want to give up being able to speak to everyone on the team at once without forming a huddle in game, lol.

Comment

downloading noW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone give it a go...

Comment

Originally posted by Dismay View Post
            I feel like the best overall scenario would be to have teamspeak running for regular strategy/communication, and then mumble assigned to a different button for the times you need to say something like "any medics nearby" "can i get some ammo", or "look out!". Unless mumble has this dual functionality built in? I just feel i wouldn't want to give up being able to speak to everyone on the team at once without forming a huddle in game, lol.
            Mumble has a "force center" feature where everyone in the channel can hear you, regardless of position. Squad leaders could use this to great effect.

The normal locational could be used just in squad.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              Mumble has a "force center" feature where everyone in the channel can hear you, regardless of position. Squad leaders could use this to great effect.
              The Squad Leader Radio (force center) is something that was put into Mumble for PR. It's not actually on the regular 1.2.2 version of mumble.

My friends and I checked this out last night and it works really well. You still need two forms of communication to use it though for reasons already stated above.

As a side note make sure the "Positional Audio" box is checked on the Audio Output tab and the rest of the screenshots that silver posted are good to go. Also, a few of us didn't have the "Transmit to Game and Link Position" under Plugins even though it's enabled by default, so check that if you cant get the positional to work.

Cheers.

Comment

ok I will ask the "dumb" question.....why on earth would you want software that doesn't let you here a squad mate if there to far away? Especially in BC2.....say I am dead and see that B is blinking even though my squad is at D....I spawn in and theres a whole squad, I key up to say theres a large push at B and no one hears me?
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                  OK I will ask the "dumb" question.....why on earth would you want software that doesn't let you here a squad mate if there to far away? Especially in BC2.....say I am dead and see that B is blinking even though my squad is at D....I spawn in and there's a whole squad, I key up to say there's a large push at B and no one hears me?
                  I'm guessing it's supposed to mimic a more realistic battlefield in which everyone and their cousin doesn't have a radio.

One of the reasons I've suspended BC2 is with VOIP not not in the picture and TS being used instead, it gets a little annoying hearing about localized battles in another part of the map where you and your squad aren't.

The whisper list thing for squad comms would solve that in TS but never really caught on, this Mumble thing would be another remedy for that if everyone embraces it. In the end I guess it just doesn't bother a lot of people.

Comment

Basic benefits:
                    > Easier revives
                    "Need a revive"
                    "where?"
                    "hereeeeeee"
                    *ZAP*
                    > Teamwork is easier since you can work in small groups and communicate locally amongst each other
                    > Overlay actually works and is free
                    > It's positional audio - which in itself is amazing and creates some good times

I'm not for regular 1.2.2 mumble replacing TS, but with both you can get a greater experience. If someone did a BC2 version of mumble like they did for Project Reality with Squad leader radio and separate grunt/squad leader channels, then I think TS would no longer be needed.

Comment

Except how do you define who is the SL and who is the grunt in BC2? Since you can spawn on anyone of the 4 people in the squad and anyone can set the objective marker.

Comment

Call a vote, start your squad and declare yourself SL, take turns?
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Leadership is not determined by silly roles based on pixels on a screen.
                          Skud

Comment

so uh... it works then, or?

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                              Except how do you define who is the SL and who is the grunt in BC2? Since you can spawn on anyone of the 4 people in the squad and anyone can set the objective marker.
                              Someone will claim "I'm calling the shots" or whatever they prefer to say, but it shouldn't be that hard to get someone to step up and work out strategy. BC2 is also nothing like PR, I don't see BC2 SL's being as crucial in the overall plan other than saying to their squad "we need more RPGs and mines, planting won't be possible here". The squad leaders role would be more of "this is what they want us to do, this is what we need to do, and this is what we are going to do. (they being other squad leaders in the squad leader channel)

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                              so uh... it works then, or?
                              If you are asking if mumble works positionally with BC2, then yes, it does.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X