Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did they go a little overboard with the vehicle perks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they go a little overboard with the vehicle perks?

Initially I thought the vehicle perks were really a cool feature for the game. After playing for the past few months, however, I find them to be more and more frustrating.

Certainly having to chose between some the "perks" make sense - extra damage, increased armor, infantry sensor, zoomable optics, etc.

But some of them really should be standard - altfire and smoke especially.

I just find that having to sacrifice basic functionality for special add-ons extrememly frustrating.

Re: Did they go a little overboard with the vehicle perks?

Actually... I was a bit surprised.
    I like the whole weapon config stuff... it's a great piece of advance in FPS. But vehicles? I don't know... Another driver, some other weapon specs? Not too realistic!

I liked the system in BF2. BUT... in BF2 tanks were much more vulnerable because of stronger and more air support and the jets. So...
    You're right I guess. The basics should have been mandatory
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, plus having to edit a config file to turn you turret in a 360 in less than a minute.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I understand why they did it (creating trade-offs), but I get what you are saying about alt-fire and smoke.

Comment

I think the trade-off is a major game balancing issue -- and that DICE jumped the right way on that.

Just think: If smoke was a standard feature in all vehicles, then your best strategy would be to fire it off as soon as it recharged -- at a guess, every 45-60 seconds. Even if you only blew the canister when you knew you were traced, you'd still be effectively untargetable by infantry rockets (with the exception of the AT4). The only time you'd die to direct infantry fire would be if you were really unlucky or really inattentive.

Of course, why would anyone not opt for smoke while driving a vehicle? The decision is pretty as clear-cut with the MBT, but much less so with the APC, in my opinion. Having alternate fire as your APC driver perk turns your vehicle into a viable tank killer.

The same goes for having alt-fire as a standard setting: The APC would gain a massive advantage, out of proportion with any other vehicle in the game.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
          --BlackMirror
          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
          --Blackraven93

Comment

Well... If smoke was standard the tracer should of course stay in place even after the deployment.
            And 60 seconds is a long time... ;)
            sigpic

Comment

If i only had smoke and alt fire as default and then picked sensor to counter sneaky snipers i would go at least 20 and 0 every single round :-)
              sigpic

Comment

Just get rid of all perks! Smoke and Alt Fire should be enough :]
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                  If i only had smoke and alt fire as default and then picked sensor to counter sneaky snipers i would go at least 20 and 0 every single round :-)
                  How is that any different than what you do now?

Comment

I think alt-fire and smoke should be standard and adding a perk like optics would be great even though I mostly operate in the third person view. However, I think there is an imbalance between armor and the anti-tank weapons available. Never mind the tracer dart/rpg/gustav trio, there is no warning given about proximity mines. Even in bf1942 a skull and bones icon would pop up if a mine was near and 2142 a motion mine warning would sound. In this game there is no countermeasure unless you spot them. I know I've destroyed lots of armor with mines that I purposefully obscured from view and have also been on the receiving end.
                    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
                    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoredBear View Post
                      In this game there is no countermeasure unless you spot them. I know I've destroyed lots of armor with mines that I purposefully obscured from view and have also been on the receiving end.
                      BC2 mines have nowhere near the engagement range of 2142 mines. BC2 mines can be destroyed by pretty much anything, whereas 2142 mines required one to sacrifice an equipment slot to an anti-mine kit.

--BlackMirror
                      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoredBear View Post
                        I think alt-fire and smoke should be standard and adding a perk like optics would be great even though I mostly operate in the third person view. However, I think there is an imbalance between armor and the anti-tank weapons available. Never mind the tracer dart/rpg/gustav trio, there is no warning given about proximity mines. Even in bf1942 a skull and bones icon would pop up if a mine was near and 2142 a motion mine warning would sound. In this game there is no countermeasure unless you spot them. I know I've destroyed lots of armor with mines that I purposefully obscured from view and have also been on the receiving end.
                        Try using the sensor perk HELM. It gives you a nice, loud and clear voice warning about all explosives in your proximity and exact location on the minimap. However you need to be extra careful when driving full speed, you might have not enough time to make a full stop.
                        sigpic

Comment

I could not agree more that alt fire and smoke should be standard. The vehicles are so gimped that it might actually make them more worthwhile.

It would help out huge with the entire AT balance and give the AT4 way more appeal. It also brings a little more skill to the defender requiring them to be selective of when and how they use smoke. This works, it has been done before.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Avid tank driver and his 2 cents below:

Please... PLEASE give the tank smoke as a standard perk. Altfire/optics/everything else can stay as a 'choose your poison', but... for the love of God give us smoke. If the only way I can realistically avoid tracered AT weapons is by hiding right next to a huge cliff or building, it severely gimps the effectiveness of the armor.

While I'm at it, the main cannon on the MBT really needs to get a larger splash radius. I shouldn't have to headshot enemies with the tank in order to kill them. Cannot recount how many times the shell will land 5 feet away and the enemy in question merrily waltzes onward. There's a reason I run the rapid reload perk 24/7.
                            Last edited by LordKelvin; 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM. Reason: Clarification.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Is this something that the server admins have control over, or an "I wish they would" like VOIP?

--BlackMirror
                              --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X