3D Spotting Feedback Poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Spotting Feedback Poll

What is the general consensus on the "3D spotting system" on the server?

3D spotting is the system that after spotted, a colored triangle appears over the person's head. This system does not affect the regular spotting that places the hostile on your mini-map.

Vote and discuss!
    Strongly Dislike
    31.03%
    Dislike
    16.09%
    Don't care either way
    10.34%
    Perfer
    20.69%
    Strongly Perfer
    21.84%

Re: 3D Spotting Feedback Poll

I like how it helps with teamwork. We specifically know what things like "Contact to our left" means when we see them. It helps with teamwork and communication.

On the other hand, it feels like a wall hack. There are many times I saw a red triangle through fences and trees that I wouldn't have seen normally, so I just shot under the triangle just to see if I'd get a hit. If I did, I'd just keep shooting, not knowing whom I'm shooting at. I've got lots of kills this way, and every time, it feels very cheap (I'm not gonna stop shooting an enemy, c'mon now).

I wish there was a way to limit the 3D spotting to what people can see visually, and not through trees and walls. Since this is the case, I opted to dislike 3D spotting. Spotting shouldn't be any less effective since we can still see the spots on the mini-map.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
      On the other hand, it feels like a wall hack. There are many times I saw a red triangle through fences and trees that I wouldn't have seen normally, so I just shot under the triangle just to see if I'd get a hit. If I did, I'd just keep shooting, not knowing whom I'm shooting at. I've got lots of kills this way, and every time, it feels very cheap (I'm not gonna stop shooting an enemy, c'mon now).
      That's exactly how I feel. A red triangle sitting behind various fences, trees, or brush pops up in your view because someone on your team spotted them, so you start single shot firing at the triangle until you get a kill confirmation or you realize they're behind a rock/wall. Or, maybe you saw slight movement or even a vague outline of a person 150 meters away and so you hit 'Q' and of course a red triangle pops up confirming your passing suspicion. I do this all the time when I play because the Q-spotting system is there, I've learned how to use it to my advantage and I would even say that I rely on it quite a bit, but it definitely feels dirty. Personally, I think we should do away with it because it feels more like a wall-hack than a teamwork mechanism to me.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Mhh... it depends on the system you assume it uses.

Is it a satelite-guided tracking system which provides soldiers with information about location and movement of once tagged enemies?
        Or is it just a visualized soldier's knowledge thing which shows further information of spotted enemies? (If a teammate spots an enemy he might as well forward the movement of the enemy even though we don't hear it)

I generally like it and of course it's very useful. Does anybody know if the triangle shows up if nobody of the own team has a direct line of sight to the enemy anymore?
        If someone HAS a direct line of sight, he/she could of course tell the exact location to a gunner, even though the gunner does not have a direct line of sight.
        "Enemy's hiding in the shed" for example. The gunner could just concentrate the fire on the shed and kill the enemy even though he does not see him.

Mhhh... we could of course extend the rules that enemies behind cover may not be engaged if a soldier does not have a clear idea where he is even without the 3d spotting...

I guess after all it's a matter of conscience ;)
        sigpic

Comment

I second the wall hack sentiment. I feel that the purpose of q-spotting is to share information with your team, and not to paint a magical target over the enemy.

Comment

Personally, I over rely on it because one of my mouse buttons is assigned to the Q spot. When I use a sniper rifle it certainly helps as it provides a better reference point for headshots. It becomes a disadvantage when I jump on a hardcore server with no triangle marker even though I still receive points for spot assists. Maybe a temporary hiatus will make things interesting. Also, would be helpful for armor that are trying use cover and smoke.
            "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
            "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Let's do away with the hit indicator as well, then. That one's even more magical and even more of a crutch.

I'll put it simply: 3D spotting is the biggest difference between normal and hardcore modes as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to play hardcore, I'd be playing hardcore.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                I'll put it simply: 3D spotting is the biggest difference between normal and hardcore modes as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to play hardcore, I'd be playing hardcore.
                I disagree. Easily the biggest difference between normal and hardcore is the lack of minimap and the amount of hitpoints. To me, losing 3D spotting would not be that drastic and would emphasize the use of real situational awareness.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                  and would emphasize the use of real situational awareness.
                  How?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

I personally do not care much about it, the targeting system makes no difference to me.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I see what you're saying about it being "wall hackish." But I look at it this way, both sides are equal when it comes to spotting so there is no unfair advantage.

I feel that it's an important aspect of the game - especially when used by the UAV (which, if you think about it makes perfect sense). I can equip zoom optic, sit back out of danger, and light up the enemy position like a Christmas tree.

I would assume that would be useful to my teammates on the ground.

Comment

PLEASE GET RID OF IT!
                        It degrades teamwork AND tactical play. It is the very antithesis of Tactical Gamer and should NEVER be a part of our servers by choice.

It allows for careless play, unrealistically fast play, destroys the possibility of thoughtful teamwork, invites the immature and discourages the mature, and causes bromhidrosis.

This red tag feature should NOT be subject to popular vote. Tactical game play and teamwork are the principles of TG, and the red tag is merely a hack. The core principles of TG are not subject to mob rule, and neither should such an option that inhibits teamwork.

For those who maintain it encourages teamwork, they need to explain how knowing were the enemy is, independent of the team, is a positive force.

It is beyond argument that the current style of play is barely able to support anything like meaningful communication and teamwork -- the extremely high frag rate speaks for itself in this regard.

It should be obvious that we need to SLOW DOWN the pace of BFBC2. Not knowing where a deadly enemy is will definitely slow the game down and allow for better tactical execution and teamwork.

As it is, BFBC2 is far worse than BF2, which did indeed evolve into a reasonable team-based tactical game. Unless the red tag is drop, there is little hope that BFBC2 will reach its full potential here at TG.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                          I disagree. To me, losing 3D spotting would not be that drastic and would emphasize the use of real situational awareness.
                          This is the very heart of the matter. Situational awareness must come by team comms, not by a gamey red dot. Otherwise, we are where we are right now -- a very gamey, ridiculously fast paced game that has little in comon with teamwork and tactics.

It is sad to see such a great graphical game otherwise reduced to a frag-fest by poor design.

We can do better, and TG should strive for that which is more, not less, difficult.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                            Let's do away with the hit indicator as well, then. That one's even more magical and even more of a crutch.
                            I agree. TG SHOULD always be hardcore. Otherwise it merely invites the medicore and discourages the tactical, teamwork seeking player. TG should stand for hardcore teamwork and tactics. Anything that can be done to promote these core values should not be a matter of debate.

Just do it, Admins.
                            sigpic

Comment

i personally don't like it for the simple fact that it gives away your position too easily. For example a sniper that is hiding deep in a bush with just his barrel sticking out, without the triangle you might just run past him if he has a good spot. My point is that there is no point in trying to hide with it on because no matter how good your spot is you will always be marked. That is one of the reasons that i don't snipe anymore

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X