Does Punkbuster work in BC2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Punkbuster work in BC2?

The reason i ask is because while playing last night we had a non TG guy in our team that went 26 and 1 in a round and 32-8 in second round and was accused of cheating by other team. He might of been cheating, but looking at a players K/D ratio, or getting your hole squad wiped out by single guy does not prove he is cheating. For all i know he might of been skilled legit player who might of even become a SM someday. I am not sure if he just left in the middle of a round or was banned/kicked by admin but from my little research that i did it seems that Punkbuster does a pretty good job and scanning memory for active processes that affect your game files so the cheaters do get kicked and their GUID banned automatically.
    All that i ask is to please don't jump to conclusions when you get shot in a head three times in a row.
    sigpic

Re: Does Punkbuster work in BC2?

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
    The reason i ask is because while playing last night we had a non TG guy in our team that went 26 and 1 in a round and 32-8 in second round and was accused of cheating by other team. He might of been cheating, but looking at a players K/D ratio, or getting your hole squad wiped out by single guy does not prove he is cheating. For all i know he might of been skilled legit player who might of even become a SM someday. I am not sure if he just left in the middle of a round or was banned/kicked by admin but from my little research that i did it seems that Punkbuster does a pretty good job and scanning memory for active processes that affect your game files so the cheaters do get kicked and their GUID banned automatically.
    All that i ask is to please don't jump to conclusions when you get shot in a head three times in a row.
    Ostry this post is directed at me, to answer your question we did not jump the gun. I contacted an admin when we suspected it and he watched and filmed the player for a good 15-20 minutes. At that time I got back into the TS channel with the admin and he concluded from watching him that it was "blatantly obvious" he was shooting us as we were behind cover, through smoke, sprinting, and even when he had very little line of sight on us....each time resulting in an impossible 1-2 bullet headshot. It wasn't even suspect man....it was obvious. This is the 3rd hacker I have had the honor of getting out of our server and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. the first 2 we actually looked up on PB bans and found they had bans in several other titles. Please do not assume it's a matter of someone telling the admins he's hacking and we ban him....our admins do a wonderful job of being VERY careful before they hit the kick/ban button. To clear up what PB does on our server is best explained like this:

there are several website dedicated to selling there hacks in popular titles for $$$. I checked one out and it even had video of the cheats in action, it was very sophisticated and had a built in installer for the cheats. PB updates all found cheats monthly.....this particular company would sell you the cheat to use for 1 month....once it was detected it would uninstall the now "detected" cheat and prompt you to install the new and improved undetected cheat back onto your pc,,,,,all for the measly monthly fee of $7.99. So yes PB does work but with cheats such as this for $$ they truly can't keep up. Will they get some of them....absolutely....will they get all of them...no. Beside, the round after Ostry I believe you went 36/1....I didn't get you banned :)
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I've only seen one or two show up on our #1 and #2 servers over the past few months.

When we were running our hardcore server, however, I would encounter them frequently, particularly towards the end before we stopped running #3. Hardcore seems to attract cheaters as I'm assuming it's easier to get the quick kills.

On one occasion it wasn't so much the K/D that tipped me off, but it was other things like: three guys on the top of the leader board with similar names/same clan tag running in a locked squad. Come to find out they were sitting on top of the construction site on Arica stage 2 knocking guys off in the US spawn with pistols.

A tad suspicious, no?

Comment

According to punkbuster, yes.

Punkbuster also streams the BC2 Master Ban Index online.

No anti-cheat program will ever be perfect though.

Comment

LOL anyone else notice that foreign countries seem to have more bans?
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
            Ostry this post is directed at me, to answer your question we did not jump the gun. I contacted an admin when we suspected it and he watched and filmed the player for a good 15-20 minutes. At that time I got back into the TS channel with the admin and he concluded from watching him that it was "blatantly obvious" he was shooting us as we were behind cover, through smoke, sprinting, and even when he had very little line of sight on us....each time resulting in an impossible 1-2 bullet headshot. It wasn't even suspect man....it was obvious. This is the 3rd hacker I have had the honor of getting out of our server and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. the first 2 we actually looked up on PB bans and found they had bans in several other titles. Please do not assume it's a matter of someone telling the admins he's hacking and we ban him....our admins do a wonderful job of being VERY careful before they hit the kick/ban button. To clear up what PB does on our server is best explained like this:

there are several website dedicated to selling there hacks in popular titles for $$$. I checked one out and it even had video of the cheats in action, it was very sophisticated and had a built in installer for the cheats. PB updates all found cheats monthly.....this particular company would sell you the cheat to use for 1 month....once it was detected it would uninstall the now "detected" cheat and prompt you to install the new and improved undetected cheat back onto your pc,,,,,all for the measly monthly fee of $7.99. So yes PB does work but with cheats such as this for $$ they truly can't keep up. Will they get some of them....absolutely....will they get all of them...no. Beside, the round after Ostry I believe you went 36/1....I didn't get you banned :)
            I disapprove any sorts of cheating but i am also very skeptical person i nature and i hope you guys will understand and won't mind me asking what kind of admin tools were used to watch this guy since there is not spectator mode or battle recorder. I am pretty sure that admins do a great job enforcing rules and keep cheaters out. I would not be a part of TG if they didn't, but after all we are all humans which tend to make mistakes and i am still not convinced that this guy was in fact a cheater.
            Let me also point out that 3D spotting is in fact in game wall hack (you can see it trough anything). Everyone can use it, but when used by sniper with spotting perk it can put red triangles over half of your team (best used in UAV). The bottom of that red triangle points directly to your head and with destructible environment (bullets do go trough walls, smoke etc.) its no biggie to get a head shot. So maybe you guys were spotted most of the time.
            sigpic

Comment

yes we could have been spotted....but not to the point where he wiped out 3 squad mates with a 1911 in less than a second, on several different occasions....add to that the fact that within 2 minutes his score went from 16 kills to 26 kills. That's a pretty impressive streak in anyone's book I would think. Also the rest of my TS channel started lighting up like a Christmas tree with everyone reporting head shot kills from this guy, on everyone. I can understand being good....but he was being godly.....as to what was used to film them/watch them you would have to ask the admins.

Comment

In that case HE probably got pissed and turned his hacks on.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                  LOL anyone else notice that foreign countries seem to have more bans?
                  Yeah, mostly Russians.
                  sigpic

Comment

The answer to your question is: nothing....

Nothing except going in-game and watching. We'll often times jump in the same squad and just follow them around. As you mentioned, we don't havr BR, but if we get a report in time, we can do almost as good. Other than that, we can check a players IP address against PB and cross-reference that against prior bans; however, this is often hard as IPs are usually very easy to change.

Long story short. Report suspeced hackers as quickly as is prudent. BUT DO NOT DO IT IN-GAME. Always use the admin channel or ask to speak with an admin privately.

Sent from my Archos5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless a person using hacks is being very subtle, it can be pretty easy to detect. One time me and Unload were on opposite sides of a map and we got headshotted by the same person using an M14 within seconds of each other. Obviously, while POSSIBLE, it was pretty suspect. Another tip off is when a sniper is getting a really high kill count. We all know a good sniper can get incredible k/d ratios, but they generally can't get 50+ kills in a round because it takes time for them to legitimately acquire a target, sight them, and place an accurate shot on them. Lastly, I think the most obvious clue is when a person goes on a 60 kill rampage in one round and then promptly leaves the server. As if anybody could be that hot in a round and then not want to stick around and ride the streak. It's because people using hacks know that they can never stick around on one server for very long or they will eventually be detected and banned.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I was on the guys team. Followed him around and watched him try and shoot at people through hills who weren't spotted, twitch around a couple times acquiring different targets, accidentally acquire tanks as targets a couple of times and shot his rifle at them(this is mainly how he died), sprint 150m a throw a grenade behind a rock where an enemy who wasn't spotted and hadn't fired his weapon was hiding. He did all these things while out in front of the rest of the team. No one was covering his flanks or spotting guys sneaking up on him.

I was gonna record a video of him using x-fire for documentation and instructional purposes but it turns out my game doesn't run too great while trying to record full res. I kept getting shot and couldn't get to him so I gave up.

I definitely understand your reservations Ostry. We have quite a few players here who no doubt have been accused of hacking elsewhere who are legit, I keep these things in mind and consider that the player may have extremely good reflexes, superior situational awareness, or maybe just some great hiding spot on a map. I think some people might share an opposite opinion of my willingness to act on suspicion of cheating as I prefer to have 1st hand proof since if they appeal the ban I can't go back and review a battle recorder to check for myself later.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

ostry i completely agree with you and i have seen some excellent players while playing bc2, however i was on the receiving end of the guy that is being discussed. But when myself and the 3 members in my squad are gunned down all at the same time by a 1911 when we have automatic weapons, in 2 seconds or less we get a little suspicious. So we waited until the end of the map to see if it was a coincidence or suspected hacking, before contacting an admin.

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

I apologize for hacking last night and killing you all so quickly. Especially Voodoo and Ostry. I just couldn't resist the temptation.

Oh wait, I was playing Men of War last night :row__542:.

Kidding aside, the admins have the experience to decipher and handle possible hackers/cheaters. Many of our own TG players have the ability to put up big numbers of points with + k/d ratios and are not kicked or banned even though there maybe accusations. Or else I wouldn't be here :icon_wink.
                            Last edited by Zippy; 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

:icon_frow
                            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                            sigpic

Comment

Last night we had a kid (180sniper) playing on server 1 and using TS3. Every single round he spawned instantly after loading by passing 60 sec countdown timer. By the time our team even spawned he had both M-Comms armed or one flag taken. He was warned but he insisted that he does not know how to stop the instant spawn and just kept on doing it. After third time admins were alerted and he was banned. Good job guys, there goes one more in the books.
                              Must of been extra pissed as his team lost each round regardless.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X