Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

    DICE messed up. VOIP does not work. There are no squad leaders. It sucks.

    Yet, we can fix it. TG can make it work. How?

    1) TS squad channels - we have them on server #2. Get in a channel for your SQUAD. Here's how: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ml#post1462027

    2) Leadership - if no one is taking charge of your squad, if your TS squad channel is quiet or filled with noise, YOU take charge. Don't ask your squad if they 'want to attack alpha?'. TELL them: 'attack alpha'.
    If your squad is not in their own channel, tell them what channel they need to move to, and then move there yourself.
    If you've never done it before, you'll be surprised at just how good TGers are at following orders.

    3) Follow orders - If someone is taking charge of your squad and issuing orders, do what they ask.
    Even if they just offer a suggestion like 'how about alpha'. Back them up. Say 'lets hit alpha'.

    4) Don't contradict your squad leader. Don't say, 'bravo is a better choice'. You had your chance to lead the squad (see #2).*

    *Exceptions may apply. Feel free to say ' you know there's a T90 covering alpha, right?'.

    -----

    Anyhow, that's what I think. To me, playing alongside a communicative squad of TGers is the pinnacle of gaming. I feel that the recent changes to server settings have really improved [email protected] However, I think that there are several more steps that we can take, and squad play is one of them. There's always room for improvement right?

  • #2
    Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

    I was with bleedingknee doing this last night and I found it to be a much more satisfying gaming experience to have squad voice comms, than teamwide voice comms. Combined with the longer spawn time and 3d spotting removed, it was all a good gaming time. It is like bleedingknee says, theres a natural ebb & flow with squadleaders, its about just seeing the opportunity and taking the decision for the squad.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

      I was also in the squad, we seemed to be much more coordinated and effective. I do believe we also need to communicate with the rest of the team, maybe in the future we can use whisper since we have time to set it up before the game actually starts.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

        Played with Skud and Ostry tonight, sticking to squad comms. With good teamwork and comms, it's more ideal than team-wide comms. It placed more of a focus on sticking together and focusing on the same objective as a squad, as opposed to relying on someone else from the team doing it who isn't in your squad.

        The biggest negative I see in using squad-only comms is the communication from squad to squad. This is where the lack of a commander hurts this game. Often times a team is too reactionary and sees a flag being lost. Since we don't have a commander organizing everything, more squads, while internally coordinated, will react, leaving a flag/area undefended. We need to find a solution where we have some sort of unofficial command chain to better organize the squads within a team.

        I've got a whisper-list question... what's the best way maintaining it from session to session? It seems like the whisper lists are saved, so you can just save each team's whisper list to a different key and you don't have to set it up anymore. The problem is that you have the same whisper list function to different keys depending on your team, which isn't easy to remember. Does everyone else just keep a single whisper list for team-wide comms and just edit it everytime they join the server (and if they switch teams)?


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

          Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
          Played with Skud and Ostry tonight, sticking to squad comms. With good teamwork and comms, it's more ideal than team-wide comms. It placed more of a focus on sticking together and focusing on the same objective as a squad, as opposed to relying on someone else from the team doing it who isn't in your squad.

          The biggest negative I see in using squad-only comms is the communication from squad to squad. This is where the lack of a commander hurts this game. Often times a team is too reactionary and sees a flag being lost. Since we don't have a commander organizing everything, more squads, while internally coordinated, will react, leaving a flag/area undefended. We need to find a solution where we have some sort of unofficial command chain to better organize the squads within a team.

          I've got a whisper-list question... what's the best way maintaining it from session to session? It seems like the whisper lists are saved, so you can just save each team's whisper list to a different key and you don't have to set it up anymore. The problem is that you have the same whisper list function to different keys depending on your team, which isn't easy to remember. Does everyone else just keep a single whisper list for team-wide comms and just edit it everytime they join the server (and if they switch teams)?
          The team-level communication is where I see the greatest challenge, too.

          To set up the whisper list once and for all, you will need to set up two; one for Team 1 and one for Team 2, with separate shortcut keys for each. Then assign all the squad subchannels (not the individual people in them, but the subchannels themselves) to the appropriate whisper lists, and you should be good to go.




          Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
          --BlackMirror
          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
          --Blackraven93

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

            We could set up a separate squad leader channel for each squad leader (with only the squad leader in channel) in addition to the squad channels. The squad would have a whisper to their squad leader. Each squad leader would have a whisper to their squad and whispers to one, some or all squad leaders. An additional whisper of all channels could be added but use discouraged. A tactical coordinator (commander) who could be a squad leader or squad member would whisper to one, some or all squad leaders with orders.


            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

              Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
              The team-level communication is where I see the greatest challenge, too.

              To set up the whisper list once and for all, you will need to set up two; one for Team 1 and one for Team 2, with separate shortcut keys for each. Then assign all the squad subchannels (not the individual people in them, but the subchannels themselves) to the appropriate whisper lists, and you should be good to go.
              My problem with that is that naturally a person is naturally trained to use the same button for the same function. For example, most people use LMB for shoot, and always use this button regardless of kit or team. I'll naturally bind a key for whisper team. In the heat of the moment, I'm not going to remember which team I'm on, and thus press the appropriate button. I'll end up pressing the same button I'm used to, and may end up whispering to the enemy team.

              In the end, voip fix is really the key. Once that's fixed, we no longer have to worry about whisper lists... but not sure how we'll handle the command structure.


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Further Improving [email protected]: Squad Leadership

                If you don't like the idea of two hotkeys you could setup two whisper lists but change the hotkey for whatever team you are on that night to your desired 'default' button. It would take just a couple seconds to change.
                |TG-12th|mantis

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                  If you don't like the idea of two hotkeys you could setup two whisper lists but change the hotkey for whatever team you are on that night to your desired 'default' button. It would take just a couple seconds to change.
                  Ahhh genius! Wouldn't have thought of that.


                  Comment

                  Connect

                  Collapse

                  TeamSpeak 3 Server

                  Collapse

                  Advertisement

                  Collapse

                  Twitter Feed

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X