Profiles in Excellent Squad Leading: BleedingKnee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profiles in Excellent Squad Leading: BleedingKnee

The following is a series of three videos that profile the communication and leadership style of [3rd-SFD] BleedingKnee.

BleedingKnee has been a member of TG since January 2007, is 37 years old, and has made 871 posts to TG forums.

Last night was one of the first times in recent memory that I found myself in BleedingKnee's squad, and I immediately recognized the presence of a strong, effective squad leader.

Keeping in mind that there is no one best style of squad leading, and individuals do gravitate toward leaders that match their game style, BleedingKnee provides an example of methodical advances, high situation awareness, and good communication habits that create cohesion and sit rep within the squad.

As a result of our use of an isolated TS squad channel, and layered advance and defence positioning, we were consistently able to maintain positions, effectively advance, and keep the squad operational on any given objective/area for extended periods of time. This is not to say we were perfect (I myself can be seen making many errors in the videos).

The videos that follow were recorded on 28/09/2010 and selected out of 42 individual FRAPS video files (118Gb total).

The videos are not high drama, and are mainly intended as a research resouce for the study of communication and leadership in FPS military-style online games.

(Best viewed in HD)

sigpic

Re: Profiles in Excellent Squad Leading: BleedingKnee

BleedingKnee is awesome. Nuff said :)

Comment

Very true, hes one of the best
      sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I learned from the best here at TG.

Comment

I swear, Knee, you'll be the reason I start playing this game again after swearing off it at least twice!

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
            I swear, Knee, you'll be the reason I start playing this game again after swearing off it at least twice!
            What am I, chopped liver? :D
            TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Comment

Originally posted by Crux View Post
              What am I, chopped liver? :D
              More along the lines of wombat juice!

Comment

Now that VOIP is fixed :), it's a whole different game.

Comment

WHAT?!

Fixed as in totally and completely fixed? Or fixed as in people are using TS (and actually using it and changing channels appropriately)?

Comment

WHAT?!

Fixed as in totally and completely fixed? Or fixed as in people are using TS (and actually using it and changing channels appropriately)?
                    Sadly, the latter. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a great thing we're doing, but I wish it were truly fixed in-game.

Comment

To be completely honest, it's nice not to have to deal with a chatterbox over voip who won't shut up. Teamplay is more difficult without voice communication, but is still possible. My gaming time is so sparse most of the time I don't want it cluttered with off topic cacophony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sting79 View Post
                        To be completely honest, it's nice not to have to deal with a chatterbox over voip who won't shut up. Teamplay is more difficult without voice communication, but is still possible. My gaming time is so sparse most of the time I don't want it cluttered with off topic cacophony.
                        You are missing an important tenant of TG: communication.

TG strives for meaningful communication. If you get on our teamspeak VOIP channels you will hear orders like 'hold this ground and cover alpha'. And 'Sting97 spawn in as medic'. No way to do that without voice comms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sting79 View Post
                          I'll assume that you have chatterboxes in general in mind, as in the recorded instances above what is found is disciplined comms relevant to situation awareness, team cohesion, and tactics.

You will note that on occassion BleedingKnee even tells the squad what the next move will be -- this is excellent and follows best-of-class comm use and squad leading.

If we were to quantify the comm record above, I suspect that any off-topic noise would be marginal as a percentage. Like it or not, these videos arguably capture disciplined and efficient comm use (not perfect, but definitely a useful method of SL comm use).

But you are right, CONSTANT chatter by one person, SL or otherwise, is never warranted, and always a pain. When faced with that I just find another squad.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm ready for a good dose of that meaningful communication, plan to look you guys up this weekend! Bring the smelling salt though, I may faint dead away when I hear a squad leader actually lead. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X