Attack helicopter team effectiveness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack helicopter team effectiveness

As someone who flew the bf2142 gunships a lot as a pilot, I just wanted to share my thoughts on being effective with the attack helicopter. My results have been mixed so far. Just like the gunships in 2142, the gunner is the primary q-spotter. However with BC2, the roles have changed in terms of the gunner not having a tv missile which was very effective against aerial and vehicle targets. The pilot now has the responsibility of destroying armor and so the gunner must prioritize as such. Gunners should first q-spot armor targets which show up in the pilot's heads up display as a triangle. Once this is done the gunner can move on q-spotting and strafing infantry (the most effective role for the mini-gun). In addition, if armor is heavily damaged the mini gun operator could finish off the vehicle or fleeing infantry. I know this sound like common sense but the pilot should try and avoid flying over the enemy positions. Yesterday, I witnessed a pilot who did this and kept the helicopter at a high altitude to avoid fire and it was obvious his gunner was q-spotting a lot and the pilot would fire missile volleys which was devastating against the Russian armor. Another thing this pilot did was to "slide " the helicoptor to the left and right while keeping the helicopter over friendly territory. It's has been best I have seen so far.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

AB
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Re: Attack helicopter team effectiveness

My experience with the apache has been using it as a defensive tool. I hover high and slide from side to side mainly to avoid RPG's and tracer darts.

As a defensive tool, I generally stay back behind the outskirts of our base and let my gunner tear people up. There is no point in charging the apache into the enemy base and getting torn up by AA and MG's when you can beat the attacking team into pulp as they try to take your objectives. The attacking team has to come into your base in order to take the objectives if they want to win.

What I like my gunners to do are to spot all enemies that they see and to keep a good eye on and around the objectives.

I always keep an eye on the location of the AA vehicle. Where I put my apache usually relies on where the AA vehicle is.

Comment

On Port V -

Again, staying around the outskirts of the base in friendly territory keeping an eye on the objectives. My gunner should be doing the same. You can always count on enemies coming from the barrels northeast and from the hill to the northwest.

Watch for the AA vehicle spawn. Always know where that vehicle is. If I see people falling down the hill running up the beach, I always make a check to see what that AA vehicle is doing before I fly around the beach side and let my gunner go on a turkey shoot.

Another good tactic is to hang out behind the hill just northwest of the base. You can hover up, shoot at armor and hover back down. The effect of this is that that vehicle backs up and repairs or he remains there and gets hit by RPG's and more rocket's. His call. While doing this, your gunner can focus on the infantry behind the two big pipes or those running down to the beach.

The main thing to remember is that your main job is to ensure they do not get those objectives.

Once in game voip is working, it will be much easier to let your gunner know where to be looking.

Comment

Once the full game comes out, make sure that the two people are carrying different vehicle perks. If you're both carrying extra armor, you don't get double plus super extra armor, but if one is carrying armor and one warhead, you get both extra armor and more powerful weapons.

Although, for the Apache, one should carry VALT, as that allows the gunner to fire tracer darts with RMB and the Pilot to fire guided AT missiles which lock onto the tracer in question (or any tracer). Also, the tracer like any tracer can be locked on by all the Engis on your team. So if you have a really pesky AA vehicle, smoke in low and fast, dart him, and then run away.

I think VAlt and VArmor will be the default loadout for a gunship team. Vzoom will be quite useful for tanks and Bradleys, along with VAlt.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't tried locking on to vehicles that are tracered. Does this work if infantry traces a vehicle?

Comment

Tech,

Your description of the locating the helicopter is exactly what I witnessed the other day. I would still prefer my gunner to prioritize targets: armor then infantry. I find the pilots view a little obscured and because I play at low resolution and settings the orange diamond is more helpful to me. This is video by Mantis has a perfect example why the helicopter should avoid enemy held postions. The helicopter flew very low and allowed itself to be darted and so long helo. By keeping the enemy in front of you and only exposing the front of the helicopter reduces the surface area for a dart to hit.

The doomed helicopter happens about 4:19 in to the video.

Comment

Agreed. Armor should be taken out first. Most of my armor killing comes from them charging into our base though. If there's a good situation where I can get over there, destroy a tank and get out, i'll take it. Generally when the rest of the armor is down. Mind you, I won't go too far. I draw a line right at the entrance to our base where the two Z concrete barriers are located. I usually don't go past there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tllyx View Post
                Hmm, I haven't tried locking on to vehicles that are tracered. Does this work if infantry traces a vehicle?
                Not in the PC beta. The VAlt specialization unlocks the Hellfire guided AT missile for the pilot fired by RMB. You cannot get it in the PC beta.

More details here http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...icle-info.html

Comment

Compared to the gunships of 2142 the helos should be less lone-wolfish and more of a defensive vehicle, seeing as they don't have shields. Is this correct?

Aliases I go by:

DeTeR

L1QuiiD

SK37CH

Comment

It's is situational because this rush mode (and the lonewolfing term is very loaded). Like Tech describes the Apache is defending objective A and B in the harbor. I think conquest mode will have the helo assaulting and defending. A helo asset squad will have more latitude on prioritizing what targets to eliminate first along with supporting ground forces just like the gunships. There are no shields. There maybe a countermeasures unlock in the specialties that help the chopper with breaking missile locks.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoredBear View Post
                      It's is situational because this rush mode (and the lonewolfing term is very loaded). Like Tech describes the Apache is defending objective A and B in the harbor. I think conquest mode will have the helo assaulting and defending. A helo asset squad will have more latitude on prioritizing what targets to eliminate first along with supporting ground forces just like the gunships. There are no shields. There maybe a countermeasures unlock in the specialties that help the chopper with breaking missile locks.
                      Smoke screen will be able to counter tracer dart (for its duration?). Other than that there seems to be no measures to avoid instant death from RPG. You can't land for repairs easily anymore, and having much slower movement than gunship in 2142, even tank shells are major thread to you especially when playing defensively. I can see apache being the one vehicle that can hold major enemy pushes and eliminate important targets. Right now it is extremely powerful vehicle, with both guns able to wipe whole squads and still being thread to enemy armor aswell.

Comment

Just remember there will be stationary AA's in the release..
                        Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Every map will be unique in the way that air vehicles will play. As a pilot, your major threats are going to be AA vehicles, stationary AA, and MG's both stationary and mounted on vehicles. It's a good idea as a pilot to recognize where the stationary AA / MG's are at because that will change your flying tactics drastically. You will not always have the same gunner and you will have to let that gunner know where to fire first before assaulting a position with a chopper. VOIP will be crucial between pilot and gunner.

Once you know the map and where the stationary guns are at, then you can judge what angles to use to assault on vehicles and infantry.

As always, the map is constantly changing as the battle moves on. Your tactics will change from minute to minute and you must be able to adapt to the way the battle is going.

Notice I do not say anything about infantry being a threat. As a general rule, you should be high enough, moving or far enough back from the enemy that they can't tracer dart or RPG you very easily. It does and will happen but using those measures you can reduce the amount of times it does happen. Remember, your gunner can see a LONG ways away. You don't have to be in your enemies ass to shoot them.

Comment

When using pilots' rockets you are forced to take either very sharp diving angle or fly low, at these times I've seen many pilots make minor mistake that ended up them being hit by rpg or tank shell. Also AA gun and tank secondary gun can do some damage if you aren't able to get away quickly, when at very high this is usually the case (taking note that few people actually predict the movement of apache with AA, rather than shooting where it is at the moment).

How the maps look at the minute I'd bet that apache has to stay at the distance in order to be most effective though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixa View Post
                              When using pilots' rockets you are forced to take either very sharp diving angle or fly low, at these times I've seen many pilots make minor mistake that ended up them being hit by rpg or tank shell.
                              Exactly.

That's how I have seen most apaches die so far. The rockets on the apache are pretty accurate from a distance. May as well use that to your advantage.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X