Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General State of Smoke in BC & BC2 Smoke Launcher Attachment

The general State of Smoke

Smoke in BF2 and 2142 was absolutly HORRIBLE (but for mods like POE of course). The smoke produced by the Grenades was meager. A few fluffy puffs and gone. Futhermore the value of the smoke was HIGHLY dependant on peoples grafic settings. I showcase evidence A) from an old youtube video of mine:

BC2 Smoke Launcher Attachment

After a few thousand points Assault in BC2 you will unlock the Smoke Launcher Attachment. It will replace your 40mm Grenade Launcher if you select it. This will bring tears to the faces of Assault players because you lose your fancy instakilling weapon that defines your class. Yet with the right Strategy the Smoke Launcher Attachment will pay off itself - not in direct points and kills - but in Victory.

The State of Smoke in BC2:

- Smoke in BC2 is THICK. It covers a wide area and even at TOTAL minimum grafic settings it will be fully functional.
    - Smoke in BC2 can be quickly spread in a wide area. If you carry the grenade Ammunition upgrade you are able to quickly spread 4 loads of smoke around you.

Strategy and actual usage:

A very limited number of Assaults per team should be toying around with Smoke. You really donīt want to lose your teams killing power over this,

You DO NOT want to fog your own team. You are NOT Ninjas that toss Smokebombs to your feet and turn invisible. You will steal your own teams line of sight while the enemy team will happily continue to spam hurtful things into your cloud.

So what is the best application for Smoke? Very simple - you want to rob the Line of Sight of a number of enemy soldiers to make dealing with the rest easier.

- A prime example here would be rush mode. While your team attacks A - you cover key positions of B in thick smoke so their LoS to A gets heavily disrupted.

- In BC2 whole squads often camp in buildings and it can be a long and difficult quest to clear the building out. Cover their window openings with smoke for them to be unble to shoot out of there.

- When you defend on Rush mode there is a big area you cannot enter from the enemies spawn location. Often Snipers and other long range supporting Soldiers camp up there. Rob their LoS with Smoke. Be sure to aim wide - you donīt want to deliver the enemy Smoke for their advance - just to keep them from shooting out.

- Despite what I said earlier about not shooting at your own feet, it can be a viable tactic if you just armed an mcom and your Squad is in the building protecting it. The enemy will come rushing in and the Smoke in there can cost them a few expensive seconds making out the dangers that lurk in there.

>>>>>> Conclusion

Smoke in BC2 is viable. Itīs not a thing that guarantees you wins but can help you overcome key positions while being outnumbered or in a natural lack of cover.
    Last edited by Lyramion; 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM.

Re: General State of Smoke in BC & BC2 Smoke Launcher Attachment

I hadn't even bothered with the smoke attachment for fear that it would be unchanged over 2142. Reading this gives me ideas!

Proud member of the 21st Death Dealers.
    Swift, mobile, on target.

Comment

One argument for smoking your own position is that it prevents the enemy team from "spotting" you with the red triangles. It's a great use of the vehicle smoke perk.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Question though, how big of a hit on preformance is the smoke going to take?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The games engine and effects are already souped up enough as it is. Smoke doesnīt give you any notable more lag than you already might have

Comment

Hmm. I've been using smoke and I don't really find it very "lasting". It does work immediately but the wind seems to blow it away after a few seconds.

Comment

Bringing a Smoke Launcher on an assault is undeniably one of the most tactically sound choices you can make, if you know how to use it.

Tips:
              1) Always get the smoke closer to the enemy than yourself. Also, if possible, ensure that for them to see out of the cloud they must leave their position and move forward to a spot where they are significantly more vulnerable.

2) Always make pushes when the smoke is up. This is reverse-concealment, fellas; it is like using a bush to cover your advance the entire way up. You can cover a good distance of No-Man's Land with good smoker launcher use.

3) Smoke launching Assaults tend to be more effective if they orient their fighting style for long range, focusing on being able to accurately shoot targets while launching the smoke from farther out, letting others push up while they lob enemy positions.

4) Don't forget to cover your flanks in No-Man's Lands. Yes, get one at the enemy's doorstep, but also make sure to cover the LOS from the other side of that field so that you aren't getting shot in the side while you push up.

Comment

Something that can be added to that is "Q"ing your targets before the smoke starts. This way the assaulting team can still have some sort of visual reference as to where the other teams players are moving.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                  Something that can be added to that is "Q"ing your targets before the smoke starts. This way the assaulting team can still have some sort of visual reference as to where the other teams players are moving.
                  Though I agree, it should be implied that you Q spot everything you see ever.

Comment

Agreed, however, EXTRA emphasis should be put on doing it before a smoke screen.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

/me wants to know what it looks like for 32 smoke grenades to go off :D

Comment

Not significantly more interesting than one at your feet.

Comment

my view, in general smoke is a weak toy, however, there is a small number of situations where smoke is like the magic spell for victory, eg on m-com that is totaly exposed or over windows of dug in squad
                          good post lyra

Comment

Not impressed with smoke at all. I tried it today, with my graphics settings I can see right through it. Sure it is annoying, but I can still see targets through the haze.

Comment

The ambient smoke of tanks exploding and desert sand blowing and whatnot is already vision-occluding enough that I want to scream sometimes, so I can imagine that a well-placed smoke nade would fudge my vision to the point of hair-tearing frustration.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X