X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marksmanship Specialization only affects Iron Sights

From the Assault Rifle section.

Edit: Better pic

"Field Notes: This specialization significantly improves the accuracy of your assault kit's assault rifle. However, to benefit from this perk, you must fire the weapon while zoomed in, using the weapon's iron sight." - Prima Strategy Guide

I can only assume this is true for ALL kits, not just assault. I don't actually have the guide. It's found here: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...360309287&mt=8

Added:

From Envisionimage
    Last edited by Avs; 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM.

Re: Marksmanship Specialization only affects Iron Sights

Since this is a slot two perk, are we to assume that it also works while zoomed in with red dot or ACOG sights?
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

The way I understood it, is that only when you zoom into your red dot, ACOG, irons sights that is when you get the benefits of the Marksmanship Spec. Otherwise if you spray from the hip your accuracy will suffer greatly. I could be wrong though.

Comment

I'll get around to testing it when I have this unlocked. Only working with the default iron sights doesn't make sense.

Comment

That guide may be based on a pre-release version of the game.

"OP IS WRONG.

Prima guides are often written using builds of the game that are not final.

Thus, at one point DICE put the accuracy specialization in the SAME COLUMN as the scopes.

LATER, in the FINAL BUILD of the game, they moved the accuracy spec to a different column.

So that Prima guide is written AS IF you have to CHOOSE BETWEEN the accuracy spec OR the scopes.

Now you can have BOTH."
          "Yeah, the in-game descriptions are often, uhm lets say, not very accurate; for example one of the lmg's says that it's best fired while in prone, or the m14 that only has a 10 round clip, but is described as having 20."

Comment

I think the marksman perk work while you go run-and-gun rambo style. It may be some sort of placebo effect but it seems as the spray don't spray as much:P
            Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

All right, seeing as how I have no idea how he tested it, I'll do a real test tonight and will report. Thanks guys.

Comment

So, it does seem like the marksmanship perk affects all scopes. But the difference is so small that for me, I find it rather useless as a perk. Testing full auto spraying, the bullets spread builds just slightly slower, with bullets flying all over the place after two seconds. So all it really does is delay the maximum spread slightly when continuously firing. Anything short of that and there is no difference. For example, take any assault rifle and burst with it. Its accurate. Putting this perk with an assault rifle and its not really helping. You burst, and it's still accurate. Hip firing did not seem to change at all. People also claimed that the M60 is more accurate with this perk. Using a ACOG scope on the M60, I notice the kick is exactly the same with and without. Maybe this is a graphical oversight or the kick of the gun doesn't correlate with spread. But crosshairs do right? Cross hairs are smaller when hip firing but still expand to the maximum. Still, the M60 is extremely accurate without, and even using iron sights, with/without there was so little difference in real combat (ie. bursting 10-25 shots).

If that was too long to read: Perk provides negligible benefits either way (scope or ironsights).

Comment

Which is why you should pack magnum bullets if you really want an improvement to the performance of your main weapon. A boost to both damage and effective range make sniping people off the roof of C warehouse on Panama Canal a joy... with my assault rifle. :P

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Recoil does not match the deviation of the bullets.
                    Recoil is the gun's kick, deviation is the bullet's path out of the gun. They act independently of another, and recoil only affects deviation by raising the sights.

To test it properly, you should be doing something like a burst at or above 100m, both regular and accuracy enabled, and see the difference in hit/miss ratio.

Comment

Use the LMG and spray at long range with that perk and you'll be sniping on full auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                        Use the LMG and spray at long range with that perk and you'll be sniping on full auto.
                        Not true, and that statement contradicts itself. The bottom line is, use it if it gives you that psychological edge. It is debatable whether this perk or damage perk is more effective, but no you cannot "snipe" on "full auto". In my testing, I can still hit 100m targets with ease regardless of perk with different sights. But shots on full auto (more bullets = more chances to hit), will eat up your 100/200 round magazine quickly. Any medic who is actually shooting a lot knows how fast they run out of bullets when spraying.

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                        Recoil does not match the deviation of the bullets.
                        Recoil is the gun's kick, deviation is the bullet's path out of the gun. They act independently of another, and recoil only affects deviation by raising the sights.

To test it properly, you should be doing something like a burst at or above 100m, both regular and accuracy enabled, and see the difference in hit/miss ratio.

Yes, I understand this. But you also realize that if the gun kicks up, the bullets will also tend to shoot that way too. I do notice that for the first part of the bursting, deviation tends to match the kick. In the latter half, bullets will hit in places where you aren't aiming (bursting -> spraying). Because ACOG and Red-dot scopes change the kick of the bullets, recoil or whatever you want to call it changes how well the perk works. They are different, from each other and the iron sight. This is why the effectiveness of using this perk is different for scopes compared to ironsights. And that's why I mentioned it.

You cannot test proper burst accuracy at 100m due to the way the client does not show each bullet hit registry on the wall, and that the hit registry in the game isnt at 100%. The best you can do is calculate spread, as the perk is designed to reduce spread, which is what I've done.

Comment

I don't think you grasp what I was referring to, but I'm not all that sure I comprehend what you're saying you understand...

Deviation makes bullets land where you're not aiming.
                          Recoil pushes your aiming point (scope, ironsights) up/sideways/etc.

If the game had no deviation, then your bullet would only land at the center of your crosshair/aiming point.
                          If the game had no recoil, then your aiming point (your ironsights or your scope) wouldn't budge, but your bullets could still miss your target.

This specialization should only be affecting deviation; whether it is affecting the initial deviation, the change in deviation, the max deviation, or a combination thereof, is not readily apparent.

Comment

Which is why I see people getting head shot kills with LMGs from a single burst of fire while I with my medkit couldn't hope to do the same at that range.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X