Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tactic! Use Carl Gustav with EXPLMK2 (Explosive Demolition Specialization)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tactic! Use Carl Gustav with EXPLMK2 (Explosive Demolition Specialization)

It's not a secret that destroying M-COMs can be done with RPGs and C-4 but when was the last time you actually tried this method...did you question the effectiveness of the tactic...did you think that it was tactically unsound? did you think that it was boring and defeated the spirit of blowing up an M-COM?

Well...ask no further because I and along with a few other TG'ers used this to great effect in pushing through the Valparaiso Map....

OTHER MAPS require you to shoot down the building....while this is a direct assault on the M-COM station for buildings that cannot be destroyed...

Let's take a quick look at the kit load out for 1 squad as it only requires 1 squad:
    2 engineers....2 Carl Gustavs....EXPLMK2....along with EXTRA EXPLOSIVES specialization (optional)
    1 Medic
    1 Assault

Estimated Time to take out M-COM if constantly shooting at Obj: less than 5 minutes....under good conditions...

Why it WORKS:

-War is chaotic...in the middle of chaos, you can exploit the defending team's confusion.....you must find a place where the enemy will never expect you to hit the M-COM...if you want a general guide on where you can hit the M-COM:
    1.) find a place where you can duck and hide (behind a tree/under a rock/behind some cover....)
    2.) find a place where the enemy can't reach you so easily
    3.) find a place where you have direct line of sight with a portion of the M-COM....even the corner of the M-COM station takes as much damage as the side of an M-COM

THE rest is up to you on finding locations to hit the M-COM...be creative and sneaky like a ninja!

Why it's RISKY:
    -You are at the mercy of the fact that your team can effectively distract the defending team
    -It takes time and sustained effort to destroy an M-COM...you are usually in the same place firing over and over UNLESS the M-COM is exposed from all sides....

Why it's WORTH IT:
    -You are for the most part far from the action...shooting RPGs at a defenseless M-COM....
    -You must shoot down quite a few defensive emplacements to reach the soft mushy M-COM....
    -You are as good as a mortar strike if your team decides to arm anyways..the explosive damage is enormous and can take out an entire squad
    -You CAN DO this for any map even if the objective is in a building that cannot collapse...
    -You save your own lives not attacking the M-COM while the rest of the team runs interference...
    -We have a tracking M136AT4 with its own guidance tracking system...the possibilites are just boundless...

Re: New Tactic! Use Carl Gustav with EXPLMK2 (Explosive Demolition Specialization)

Do tracer darts stick to M-COMs??

Comment

Re: New Tactic! Use Carl Gustav with EXPLMK2 (Explosive Demolition Specialization)

unfortunately....no....but the Gustav has a small "bullet/rocket drop" and has a slightly faster reload...it flies very straight and true and is very predictable...the RPG-7 feels sluggish in the hand...

Comment

It's true. I was on the defending team against this tactic earlier today, and while it takes them a LONG time to do it, inevitably they always managed to destroy our MCOMs with 20 or so tickets left for them, which they used as a buffer to get into position to shell the next set of MCOMs.

We killed SO MANY of the attackers but we just couldn't stop the AT spam on the MCOMs.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Raises the question though, is it a TG tactic? Feels somehow dirty to me. I mean, if a building comes down in the fight fair enough, but that seems underhand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
            Raises the question though, is it a TG tactic? Feels somehow dirty to me. I mean, if a building comes down in the fight fair enough, but that seems underhand.
            HMMM... not sure what a "TG tactic" is, but... let's see...

Does it require teamwork to execute tactic? yes.
            Is it defensible? yes.
            Does it require teamwork to defend tactic? yes.
            Does it leverage a quirk in the game engine? no.
            Is firing rockets at something you're trying to explode reasonable? yes

so uh... yeah ;)

Comment

6 C4 placed directly on the crate deals exactly half damage to the crate.

Please keep these questions in the "Ask a short question" threat in general discussion, so that other threads may stay on track.

Comment

the design for attacking M-COM rests on two pillars of tactical maneuvers:

1.) GO in..ARM...Protect the M-COM
                --------------------------------------------------------
                2.) STAY FAR AWAY
                2a.) Destroy building
                2b.) Destroy M-COM by actually destroying M-COM.

From what we've played...the C-4 tactic has been used less often...it is unfortunate because it was a valid tactic but received initial complaints...
                they "fixed" this problem by increasing the strength of the M-COM stations...

The result is a shift away from directly placing damage on the M-COM....and to draw the enemy out of it's "turtled" position...

This is a tactic to kill an objective when your team is unwilling or incapable of mounting a big assault on the objective...
                This is a tactic that should be used in conjunction with your team constantly putting pressure on the defenders to move forward...

It's always best to mix tactics and strategies and this is just another alternative that can be easily carried out by 1 squad to effect a large amount of change...

You always want to ask...what can my squad do right now to change the face of this battle?

Comment

This tactic can be applied as a single person but will require a few favourable conditions to be met first. A downed assault whose kit you can steal for the ammo and, as mentioned, a team running interference and good cover. I've singlehandedly taken out both A and B MCOMs on the final stage of Isla Innocentes using this method due to the excellent cover the hills provide (specifically the rock around the middle at the top) and the great sight range. All you have to do is find an assault kit, throw down the ammo box and just start bombarding the MCOM while picking the assault kit back up often and tossing another ammo box to prevent it from disappearing. Of course this is much easier and much more effective with a squad than on your own, I simply wanted to point out that it is possible to accomplish alone.

Comment

RPGs do more damage though FYI. The Carl Gustov is good for infantry because it does more splash damage which isn't needed for a single inanimate object.

Personal thoughts on bombarding and destroying buildings from afar? I think it's crap. Buildings are already pathetically weak and get destroyed at the drop of a hat. I've seen way too many games where legitimate charge plants get wrecked from friendly fire because someone decided to call in a mortar strike or rocket the target. I say if you can push in, push in. It's a lot more effective and saves your team from your team killing hand. If you're stuck and you need to soften up their defenses a bit then it's a legitimate tactic. I wouldn't encourage it though personally.

Comment

It's a cheesy method, but it takes a lot of coordination and the hope that the other team doesn't have squads that get sent out after you. I doubt pub players would be down with this considering the medic and assault won't be getting too many points out of this.

Comment

that's why it's a secondary tactic that should be employed MORE OFTEN for late game strategies....I see teams charge into destructible buildings all the time not knowing that they could save lives by protecting a squad capable of taking out the M-COM with RPGs or Gustavs....

The RPG is better but for long distances it takes much more precise calibration for height...it's much harder to hit...

It's a legitimate tactic during any kind of play...you're leveraging your inherent attacking stance against the fact that some good teams actually can defend the objective well...if you can bring a "two front" assault with both the short and long range methods...you are forcing the defending team to balance their positions and own method of countering the assault team

Comment

I don't know all the map names, but can see this as being very difficult/impossible to defend against on some MCOMs, and for me spoils the design of that map. Would spoil rush mode for me, and stop me playing it if this was common.
                          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Hell, all Rush maps have at least one MCOM situated in a collapsible building that the opposing team can simply bombard from afar.

Comment

that's why this tactic forces the defending team to rush out in front and eliminate the squad(s) that are employing this tactic....when a denfending team can both secure it's front lines and the M-COM they are pratically assured victory...if not...they will surely succumb to this along with some other tactic.....

we shouldn't be viewing this as a one-sided advantage....it's never easy to hit those M-COM stations from a safe enough distance....when you use this tactic you are at the mercy of getting rolled by a defending team that's attuned to eliminating far away targets...

This tactic is meant to defeat the defenders forming an impenetrable wall that often surrounds M-COM stations...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X