Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demolition and you! A basic look on the destruction system in BC2.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demolition and you! A basic look on the destruction system in BC2.

Greetings there fellow TGers. I have been looking lately on the battlefield and I see people destroying walls and blowing them up with grenade launchers and sometimes with C4. But have you ever thought how to most effectively take one of those buildings out. I went on a server by myself and experimented a bit.

WARNING: This is a long read and it may be updated and get longer with more sections.

-----------------------------------------
    Index:
    1.How the engine works.
    2.When does destruction 2.0 work?
    3.Fastest way of destruction.
    A.)Grenade Launcher
    B.)Rocket Launcher
    C.) C4
    4.Changes and updates to the document and what needs to be done.
    -----------------------------------------

1. How the engine works.

We look at a normanl two story house, let's say for example on one of the winter maps. The physics engine in the game doesn't take usual physics into account when it comes to houses.
    First example would be if you take down all the walls on the lower floor. If we look at physics, the house would already collapse under itself because of the weight above it or fall off onto either side.

After continuing to blow off the uper walls, the house started cracking and falling down after 3-4 walls on the upper floor was blown off. I then repeated the same process vice versa, going from the upper walls/roof down to the lower walls.

In conclusion with this: The houses have a hitpoint system dependant on walls. They will only start coming down after a number of walls have been blown off. So when you go destroying a house, never think with real life physics, but just try to get down as many walls and roof tiles down as fast as possible.

2.When does destruction 2.0 work?

Houses will only go down properly:
    -if they have mutliples stories (attics included). So if it has a floor you can get up to with either ladder or stairs, it will come down eventualy.
    -Some buildings by design are not to meant to be destroyed (big warehouse in Port Valdez for example). If you have never seen it fall down like a deck of stacked cards, your best bet is, it never will, unless the devs reimplement or recode the buildings.
    -if they don't have metalic support beams.

3.Fastest way of destruction
    I will try to rank the various explosive options by speed and effectiveness as well as risk and when done by a single man.

If you plan on actively destroying houses, there are three viable options to choose from. Though do not take my word on this. You can as well try and take down a house with a Blackhawk which is way more fun, but I will be taking the infantry approach, since a blackhawk is not always available.

A.) Grenade launcher
    First is the most obvious choice for us instakilling bastards, the grenade launcher. For a grenadier your best choice is using the grenade specialization as well as the explosives specialization. When going at it with a house it is best to imagine the house in meter long walls. Each destroyable piece of wall is one meter long.

First you shoot the middle wall, then the side walls. If you targer right, you can as well hit and destroy the corner of a wall, taking with you two walls. It just needs experimentation on your part.

NOTE:
    Inside some buildings there are support walls that can't be destroyed. So always consider this: Walls inside can't be destroyed, but the outer walls always are destroyable. If you destroy one side of the house, run around to start blowing up the other side of the house. Most of the time if you are trying to hit the other sides from a already chewed up angle, you will usualy miss. Always place yourself faced towards a intact portion of the house when demolishing with a grenade launcher.

Ranking:
    If we look at the grenade launcher in terms of effectiveness. It is the slowest method of destruction, though the grenade launcher reloads fast, you can only have a max of 3 40mm grenades with the grenade specialization. The addition of assault being able to supply himself should be noted though. And if done by a person that knows how to make arttilery out of his grenade launcher, he can pretty much pelt the building from long range. This method is very viable as a team tactic though.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Time: Slow, especialy when resuplying.
    Effectiveness: Takes down walls slowly, needs ballistic targeting skills.
    Risk: Up close can be dangerous, long range from friendly teritory can be good if operator is skilled at range estimation.
    ------------------------------------------------

B.) The rocket launcher (NOTE! Extensive testing not done yet.)
    Best choice here would be the Gustav launcher, because of it's higher splash damage. Tactics are similair as with the grenade launcher, though the rocket launcher is more effective at range and at straight lines to it's target i.e. from a elevated position.
    A demolition squad here would be a deadly thing (3 engineers and one assault for resuplies).

I highly recomend the explosives pack for added ammo and as well the explosion specialization for more damage.

Tactic here as well would be targeting the side of the house with the most walls on it and destroying them.
    (I can't vouch for this, because I haven't been extensively testing it: If hit at the junctions of destructible walls, does it destroy multiple walls. CAN SOMEONE TEST THIS FOR ME?)

Ranking:
    The rocket launcher would be the second most effective method on the battlefield. Reloading is slow and when you are one man, you would need some time doing this, not to mention that without ammo resuply you are pretty much screwed. The plus side is, with a team based effort, you can destroy a building quickly, not to mention the infantry destroying capabilities of the Carl gustav, it is great for clearing out buidlings.
    ------------------------------------
    Time: Very slow. The process of targeting and range estimation on long range takes some time and then reloading.
    Effectiveness: Pretty effective due to splash damage. (I need confirmation on this, otherwise ignore the effectiveness ranking for now). One man without resuply is a bumer, unless you can still get it down with 6 rockets. The most effective use is doing it as a team.
    Risk: Long range and from a friendly zone is the best way to go since close range poses a risk and it is hard to hit something moving up close at 5 meters with a rocket launchers without risking your own well being.
    ---------------------------------

C.) C4

Using C4 as a destruction tactic means you have to be fast and risky to actually run up to the building, plant enough C4 on it and blew the bits out of it. 4-6 C4s are always enough to bring a fully intact house down to it's knee's depending on your placement.
    Most effective placement is on the upper part of the first floor walls, because the blast catches the upper wall as well and destroys it, making the C4 a effective multi wall destruction tool. This is great especialy in rush, where a team can sneak into a M-com station with one demo guy rigging the walls. The team either holds the position while the M-com station is rigged, while the demo guy runs out and waits for his team to be killed off... OR... they all run out and scout for enemies to come in and then blow it up.

Ranking:
    Basicaly, if you are good, fast and drilled with this kind of thing in mind, you make a effective demo man. This is the most risky thing you can do though and team support is very helpful when taking down a M-com station.
    A team of demolition experts can deny valuable cover to the enemy pretty fast. Do not forget about the vehicle destruction capabilities either. Three wookies attacking a tank is better then any Star wars movie.
    --------------------------------------
    Time: Fast. If you train and drill yourself with every building type, you can pretty much plant and be out of there in a matter of seconds.
    Effectiveness: C4 was meant to destroy things. It can take out multiple walls at once with the proper placement, explosive specialization is a must for this. If it explodes so strongly it doesn't make a sound, you went overboard... yet with explosives you can never go overboard.
    Risk: Very risky. You have to be up close and personal, and if there are badies around you will be under fire. A close quarters weapon for clearing out buildings is a must. It is usualy safer to plant from outside then inside, but that fully depends on the situation. It is a bit safer though then actually running up to a tank or APC you crazy bastards.
    ------------------------------------

4. Changes and updates to the document and what needs to be done.

CHANGES AND UPDATES:
    +Document up and fresh of the keyboard press (my fingers hurt).
    TO DO:
    -Experiment with range of 2.0 effects on a person (at what range it does kill you, how much time till you can escape.)
    -Experiment with carl gustav wall destruction capabilities. (Any help or feedback is welcome).
    -Consider adding a vehicle section in the future.
    -Consider adding images, videos, charts.
    -Effects of other types of destruction on players (tree's, debry, vehicle parts).
    Foxwolves or folves for short are very versatile. Sniper, engineer, soldier, strategist, medic, commando.
    All in one package.
    The most obvious though is death.

Re: Demolition and you! A basic look on the destruction system in BC2.

You forgot to mention MBTs, which are exceptional at doing this. Thanks for labbing this stuff.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

MBT's, you mean mortar's ? I should actually add those yes. Will update them later this day or tomorrow.
      Foxwolves or folves for short are very versatile. Sniper, engineer, soldier, strategist, medic, commando.
      All in one package.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxWolf =*45*= View Post
        (I can't vouch for this, because I haven't been extensively testing it: If hit at the junctions of destructible walls, does it destroy multiple walls. CAN SOMEONE TEST THIS FOR ME?)
        I've only done this with the Gustav so far, but it takes out both walls. That was with the explosive damage equipped. I'll test it more when I get home.

Most effective placement is on the upper part of the first floor walls, because the blast catches the upper wall as well and destroys it, making the C4 a effective multi wall destruction tool.
        We should also test if hitting this same spot with Rockets will also take down both upper and lower walls.
        Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

MBT's, you mean mortar's ? I should actually add those yes. Will update them later this day or tomorrow.
          MBT= main battle tank

Tank I think is the best...obviously. I like the engi method. It seems to me that C4 requires your team to really cover you, which is sometimes difficult.

The damage range is odd. If you're standing next to the building, or have just jumped off the roof and are in midair next to it, you die. Not sure how far out it is, but if you hear the groaning noise, back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
            MBT= main battle tank

Tank I think is the best...obviously. I like the engi method. It seems to me that C4 requires your team to really cover you, which is sometimes difficult.

The damage range is odd. If you're standing next to the building, or have just jumped off the roof and are in midair next to it, you die. Not sure how far out it is, but if you hear the groaning noise, back up.
            Ah yes. I didn't add a vehicle section yet, I mentioned in the updates that I will add it in the future. I didn't test much with vehicles yet.
            All in one package.

Comment

Great post.
              He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

Ah yes. I didn't add a vehicle section yet, I mentioned in the updates that I will add it in the future. I didn't test much with vehicles yet.

Missed that, thanks. Great post, it's always appreciated when someone goes out of their way to do something like this.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

AT4's are very good in these kinds of situations, rather than using a grenade launcher you could use an AT4 to guide a missile into the places you know will take down the building the quickest. Great post

Comment

I must disagree and say that the AT4 is a very poor choice for building destruction as it has virtually no splash damage and a slow projectile.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X