Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The result of some personal experimentation

Hey all,

These aren't really tips -- just some things I've tried out and liked. I hope they make you think.

- I've changed my mind on the side-arm issue: I prefer the revolver over the M1911. The revolver is a lot easier to use than the M1911. After emptying the main weapon clip, oftentimes a single well-placed bullet can finish off the enemy. It keeps its damage and accuracy at quite a range, too, as compared to the M1911. Plus, it just looks sexy as all hell :)

- I've changed my mind on the M60 perks -- the heavy barrel isn't worth it. It stabilizes the shot (and doesn't add more damage) but considering that the first bullet from a rested M60 *always* flies directly into the reticle, it's not necessary. Tllyx showed me how if you single-click the M60, you can be sniper-like accurate and have a good rate of fire.
    Instead of the heavy barrel, he showed me to use the body armor. I have to agree with him ... it's really a big difference. Try it out yourself and see how you like it.
    When I play with an LMG, I'm a lot more stationary, and almost always near cover: this means that I can soak up a couple of bullets, and fall back to cover before dying. The body armor worked out for the better and made a noticeable difference.

- As much of a USAS-12 shotgun whore I am ... I've taken to grabbing the M60 and similar things on Arica Harbor defense. It's possible to stick around cover and shepherd enemies into close quarters and take them out with the USAS but ... I'm really just gimping myself and forcing a gun to where it shouldn't be used.
    Arica has long, empty stretches of sand that are best covered with a scoped LMG, and there's no sense in putting a square peg in a round hole. I guess it's just difficult to change kits just because the maps changed. Sometimes I get stuck in a mental rut, always playing the same kit, forcing it where it shouldn't be used.
    I first noticed this on Arica with the USAS vs the M60 but I've had the same thoughts on White Pass with regard to the C4 vs the grenade launcher.

- USAS-12 isn't as powerful as I first thought. After the initial confusion, players are adjusting quickly to firefights, and are strafing and moving a lot: it's a lot harder to win against an SMGs and ARs while using an auto-shottie. I like this ... it's a nice challenge to shoot for the head of a moving target. The weapon's damage output is definitely lower in CQ than compared to all SMGs and most ARs, and headshots are more important than with other weapons.

- Rush maps have "mouths" where the attackers really have to make a co-ordinated attack with armor and smoke. For example, defending on Valdez, third set of objectives ... instead of hanging by the break in the road, push out maybe 30 meters exactly into the mouth, even with your Bradley, and keep pushing forward. We did this the other night and it worked wonderfully. Rush relies a lot more on map geography than conquest for winning or losing.
    Same idea applies on Isle Innocentes last set of objectives: if you can get the defenders to push out agressively and storm down those hills .. the attackers never have a chance. Especially with that hind raining love from above.
    I think we're going to see a lot more geography-related tactics in Rush than we did in CQ in BF2142 and that's both awesome and exciting.

- AT-4 missiles fly a lot slower than RPGs. Sometimes you just have to trust your guts and pull the mouse waaay off course to adjust properly and line up that damn Apache.

- Squads with a recon always beat squads without a recon -- the mini-radar balls make a big difference. Just as crucial as the medic was in BF2142 ... so much is the recon in BC2, in my opinion. The squad with the balls, whether defending or attacking, has such a huge and distinct advantage. In BF2142, you had UAVs, CO spots, IDSs, Otuses and *long-lasting* spots .. in BC2, you've got a spot that lasts 2-4 seconds (and that's being generous) and that's it.
    The intel the balls provide makes more of a difference in the game than the IDS did in BF2142 just because intel isn't as plentiful as it was in BF2142.

Just a bunch of random observations. If you've got things in the similar vein, post 'em!
    Last edited by Zhohar; 03-23-2010, 04:28 AM.

Re: The result of some personal experimentation

On the AT4 observation: even though you can track your target manually you still have to lead helicopters by a far margin. If you put the red square onto the helicopter and fire your rocket you're wasting the round. It simply moves too slowly to track the helicopter, so you have to fire the rocket on an intercept trajectory somewhere in front of the chopper in its flight path and sort of make them sideswipe each other to score a hit.

The rocket just isn't manuverable enough. All in all, only fire your rocket munitions at helicopters if you're bored/desperate, and only if they're basically at short-range.

If you've played BF2142 and remember the ridiculously-bad "anti-air missiles" and how incredibly horrible the pilot would have to be to actually get hit by one, you know what I mean. Save those rockets for the ground vehicles. Shoot the helicopters with a gun emplacement or one of the IFVs.

Comment

The enemy will always want to take Charlie on Laguna Alta and Panama Canal. ALWAYS. Why arn't you guarding it team =(

In the same vein if you are guarding these points I would suggest constant vigilance via motion ball spam. The probability of anyone in your squad being assault for this situation is 0%

If you hold B plus either A or C on White Pass, you win.

Smoke needs way more love.

The ability for some enterprising fellow to get behind your lines in Rush is directly proportional to the distance your entire defending team has pushed forward of the M-Coms.

The probability of getting sniped while on the AA gun on Atacama Desert is a universal constant of 95%. The other 5% is the chopper killing you itself.
      aka spartan421
      Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

Motion balls are the IDS for BC2. People playing recon need to understand use them early and often. Every good squad should have a recon using balls.

Comment

As for the M60, I agree, I did give up the barrel perk a while ago and opted for magnum. At first I thought it was a coin toss between that and the armor. Since you posted I tried the armor and I would lean to having that extra second to heal or reload. The gun will still plow through enemy. As you mentioned on Rush maps it is important to not only push forward as attacker, but more importantly, push back as defender. It still surprises me how many people will bunch up and not deploy and move. It makes it much easier to flank with the M60 and plow through them before they even get a chance to get going.

As for the USAS-12, I tried it after you leveled me many times with it in your early exuberance with it but I never got the results. Probably that is because I did not go for the headshots. I was also surprised on the range I thought it had after getting killed a few times at what I thought was more medium distance, but I do have better luck with a rifle. I have been using it while playing recon so I will have to practice more.

Recon balls=truth. I am amazed at how many recon players run around and do not deploy them. IMO, it should be the first thing you do.

Smoke--totally underutilized. I was guilty like many for not using it. Last night on a few rush rounds the roving cloud of 2-3 guys using it went point to point like an evil monster. I am a believer now and use it more.

@LMG- what are the situations you like to use that over the M60?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
            Hey all,

These aren't really tips -- just some things I've tried out and liked. I hope they make you think.

- I've changed my mind on the side-arm issue: I prefer the revolver over the M1911. The revolver is a lot easier to use than the M1911. After emptying the main weapon clip, oftentimes a single well-placed bullet can finish off the enemy. It keeps its damage and accuracy at quite a range, too, as compared to the M1911. Plus, it just looks sexy as all hell :)
            I unlocked the MP412 magnum revolver in the weekend, and i prefer it over the M1911. It takes down people with fewer shots then the M1911 from what i experienced.

- I've changed my mind on the M60 perks -- the heavy barrel isn't worth it. It stabilizes the shot (and doesn't add more damage) but considering that the first bullet from a rested M60 *always* flies directly into the reticle, it's not necessary. Tllyx showed me how if you single-click the M60, you can be sniper-like accurate and have a good rate of fire.
            Instead of the heavy barrel, he showed me to use the body armor. I have to agree with him ... it's really a big difference. Try it out yourself and see how you like it.
            When I play with an LMG, I'm a lot more stationary, and almost always near cover: this means that I can soak up a couple of bullets, and fall back to cover before dying. The body armor worked out for the better and made a noticeable difference.

- As much of a USAS-12 shotgun whore I am ... I've taken to grabbing the M60 and similar things on Arica Harbor defense. It's possible to stick around cover and shepherd enemies into close quarters and take them out with the USAS but ... I'm really just gimping myself and forcing a gun to where it shouldn't be used.
            Arica has long, empty stretches of sand that are best covered with a scoped LMG, and there's no sense in putting a square peg in a round hole. I guess it's just difficult to change kits just because the maps changed. Sometimes I get stuck in a mental rut, always playing the same kit, forcing it where it shouldn't be used.
            I first noticed this on Arica with the USAS vs the M60 but I've had the same thoughts on White Pass with regard to the C4 vs the grenade launcher.

- USAS-12 isn't as powerful as I first thought. After the initial confusion, players are adjusting quickly to firefights, and are strafing and moving a lot: it's a lot harder to win against an SMGs and ARs while using an auto-shottie. I like this ... it's a nice challenge to shoot for the head of a moving target. The weapon's damage output is definitely lower in CQ than compared to all SMGs and most ARs, and headshots are more important than with other weapons.
            Haven't unlocked the USAS yet, but in the weekend i used the 870 Combat with the long range mod which actually worked ok for me close and mid-rangeish. The smgs and ars, at this point for me atleast, aren't effective even full clips at point blank it seems. That combined with cover, movement and knife you can go pretty far on your own even. And in a well balanced squad it's killer fun.

- Rush maps have "mouths" where the attackers really have to make a co-ordinated attack with armor and smoke. For example, defending on Valdez, third set of objectives ... instead of hanging by the break in the road, push out maybe 30 meters exactly into the mouth, even with your Bradley, and keep pushing forward. We did this the other night and it worked wonderfully. Rush relies a lot more on map geography than conquest for winning or losing.
            Same idea applies on Isle Innocentes last set of objectives: if you can get the defenders to push out agressively and storm down those hills .. the attackers never have a chance. Especially with that hind raining love from above.
            I think we're going to see a lot more geography-related tactics in Rush than we did in CQ in BF2142 and that's both awesome and exciting.

- AT-4 missiles fly a lot slower than RPGs. Sometimes you just have to trust your guts and pull the mouse waaay off course to adjust properly and line up that damn Apache.

- Squads with a recon always beat squads without a recon -- the mini-radar balls make a big difference. Just as crucial as the medic was in BF2142 ... so much is the recon in BC2, in my opinion. The squad with the balls, whether defending or attacking, has such a huge and distinct advantage. In BF2142, you had UAVs, CO spots, IDSs, Otuses and *long-lasting* spots .. in BC2, you've got a spot that lasts 2-4 seconds (and that's being generous) and that's it.
            The intel the balls provide makes more of a difference in the game than the IDS did in BF2142 just because intel isn't as plentiful as it was in BF2142.

Just a bunch of random observations. If you've got things in the similar vein, post 'em!
            The recon balls are very effective. As the game progresses and people get more organised, this is gonna be standard to have in each squad.

Comment

The magnum revolver fires too slowly. It allows no room for error.

I'll stick with the semi-auto M1911 over the painfully slow revolver, even if it is more powerful.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Thats one reason I prefer the 1911 over the revolver. You can double-tap the pistol and empty an entire clip and be in the middle of reloading by the time you finish squeezing off all the shots in the revolver. If I'm pulling out my revolver i'm clicking like mad because it's usually because someone caught me while in a reload cycle or somesuch, and I need to kill them as quickly as possible.

I WOULD love to see a damage boost to the burst pistol though. Seriously, if i'm emptying 15 bullets into someone they're probably down for the count, not running away..

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I was looking to see if this had been talked about yet or not. This is the first thread I noticed the sidearms being talked about.

I'm curious as to why tracer guns aren't carried more often. I'm the type of player who never has a need to switch to a backup weapon to finish off an enemy, I either get them with my main, or I die. I'm usually close enough to my squad to mitigate the "necessity" for a backup weapon. However, after 3-4 hours on the hardcore server last night, I was left wondering if anyone carries darts?

There's a huge incentive to carry them, even if there are no engineers in your squad.

When enemy armour pops up, getting them darted quickly will allow engineers in your squad to quickly lock onto the armour without having to switching to and shoot his dart at the tank, he/she can be switching to their rocket launching device of choice (apparently this gustav thing everyone is killing me with)
                  If there are no engineers in your squad, your main weapon isn't going to do anything agains the armour, however, if there is an engineer close or on the flag, a dart on the tank suddenly becomes much easier to hit!!
                  If there is an engineer some distance from the flag, they could be looking for something to shoot, a little red box popping up on the screen become a fun game trying to get in a position to get a hit on. As an engineer, nothing gives me more satisifaction than shooting a rocket at darted armor that's 200+meters away (behind cover) and getting a hit indicator.
                  I've lucked out a few time and landed a few darts on a helicopter now and again, but if your entire squad were to try and get a dart on a helicopter, the odds of actually landing a dart increase dramatically.

Plus, you can dart enemy soldiers, I have yet to do then and then rocket them, but I do think it would be amusing :)

I also found an interesting tactic, that can be beneficial to those times when trying to get past those pesky snipers, out on cliffs and overhangs, where the guns for the engineer just aren't very effective. Aim for the trees by them, this was very effective for me last night. I was originally trying to land rockets right on the rocks on the edge, but inevitably the enemy would back up, then I'd get sniped. However hitting the trees on this particular ledge served tthree purposes, 1) each hit on a tree killed at least one enemy soldier, 2) it caused enough disruption and damage to cause the squad to retreat off of the ledge and further back towards their base and 3) it got rid of the trees that the snipers were blending into when they stuck their heads out to get a shot off.

PS
                  -The squad with the balls, [snip], has such a huge and distinct advantage.
                  I feel obligated to say, "that's what she said"

and

[teasingly]Are you saying women don't play the game as well as men???[/teasingly]
                  Last edited by Catman1975; 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM. Reason: just reread part of Zho's post.
                  Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I've gotta chime in on the side of the 1911 over the revolver as well, the speed and recoil on the 1911 make it better for oh-**** moments or multiple enemies imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post

I'm curious as to why tracer guns aren't carried more often. I'm the type of player who never has a need to switch to a backup weapon to finish off an enemy, I either get them with my main, or I die. I'm usually close enough to my squad to mitigate the "necessity" for a backup weapon. However, after 3-4 hours on the hardcore server last night, I was left wondering if anyone carries darts?

There's a huge incentive to carry them, even if there are no engineers in your squad.

When enemy armour pops up, getting them darted quickly will allow engineers in your squad to quickly lock onto the armour without having to switching to and shoot his dart at the tank, he/she can be switching to their rocket launching device of choice (apparently this gustav thing everyone is killing me with)
                      If there are no engineers in your squad, your main weapon isn't going to do anything agains the armour, however, if there is an engineer close or on the flag, a dart on the tank suddenly becomes much easier to hit!!
                      If there is an engineer some distance from the flag, they could be looking for something to shoot, a little red box popping up on the screen become a fun game trying to get in a position to get a hit on. As an engineer, nothing gives me more satisifaction than shooting a rocket at darted armor that's 200+meters away (behind cover) and getting a hit indicator.
                      I've lucked out a few time and landed a few darts on a helicopter now and again, but if your entire squad were to try and get a dart on a helicopter, the odds of actually landing a dart increase dramatically.

Plus, you can dart enemy soldiers, I have yet to do then and then rocket them, but I do think it would be amusing :)

]
                      Perhaps 50% of the time i carry tracer darts. However, I've also noticed trends where i'l be the only person with darts, or an engineer kit around, too. The tracering needs some work, imo because i've noticed that while locked onto a target, there's times where i can't really tell where my projectiles are going. I can see it tracking, then it will disapear 20-30 feet from hitting something, often with a little poof near a barrier. While tracers help, when objects are under cover an indirect-fire spotter would be greatly appreciated to help people shift-fire onto the armor in question.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                      <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                      DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                        I'm curious as to why tracer guns aren't carried more often.
                        Armor just isn't as big of a problem as it was in BF2142. I mean, one volley from a 2142 APC could level 5-10 people if they were close enough together. Not even the Havoc gunner missiles with Improved Warheads can do that.

Even when armor does kill me (which is very rare, even on vehicle maps), it's usually a pretty simple matter to flank it with C4. The maps are small, vehicle turrets move slowly, soldiers move fast, C4 is plentiful ... tracer darts are a desperation move, in my current opinion, moreso than a "this is how you kill armor" item.

While I appreciate balance from DICE, their idea of balance is "make everything worse at killing infantry."
                        I would much rather take the classif BF approach of balance "make an item/soldier/weapon/vehicle excel at a particular situation, but provide just as an effective counter ... that can also be countered".

I would much prefer ... say, a player-carried shield, that can be used to protect someone while they're shooting an exposed stationary anti-air gun that does a lot of damage to the blackhawk. That's balance through teamwork: yeah, it's tough to pull off, and the blackhawk would rip through you eventually, but you've got an effective counter.
                        Right now, the Blackhawk is just a peashooter, and while I'm glad I'm not constantly killed by it ... I'm not impressed at how simple and "un-fun" the fighting mechanics are.

I'm not whining that I don't enjoy the current mechanics -- I just wish there was more depth to them. Teamwork-biased depth.

Comment

Hey all,

This is interesting, I must say that Im personally an m60 whore myself so I will have to try this out. I never knew that the first bullet always went straight on so I guess that can be helpful in long distance attacks.

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Armor just isn't as big of a problem as it was in BF2142. I mean, one volley from a 2142 APC could level 5-10 people if they were close enough together. Not even the Havoc gunner missiles with Improved Warheads can do that.
                            Armor may not be as destructive in single shots as 2142, but it's bascially always there with the very short respawn times. I always seem to be running into armor whenever I play at almost every flag, so maybe that's why I think it seems more tactically sound to carry a tracer gun as opposed to a side arm, which I never used in 2142.
                            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Napoleon View Post
                              This is interesting, I must say that Im personally an m60 whore myself so I will have to try this out. I never knew that the first bullet always went straight on so I guess that can be helpful in long distance attacks.
                              Basically, never hold the button down if your shooting mid-long range. just let the sights fall and click again. It's very quick to kill enemies far away, without wasting all your bullets sparaying.
                              BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...