Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assault Rifles and Machine Guns: what scope do you use? Is it even worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault Rifles and Machine Guns: what scope do you use? Is it even worth it?

I've tried using the 4x scope on most ARs and ... that thing is just a waste of time. The view is too narrow, the zoom isn't far enough to warrant that, and the reticle isn't as straight-forward as a red-dot, especially in jerky/burst firing.

For every AR, LMG, and SMG, I've used the red-dot sights. Not only are they a vast improvement over most iron sights (AN-94, I'm looking at you), but they also open up a large amount of screen so that you actually have situational awareness while firing at medium range. Using a 4x scope and firing an AR at midrange feels like waking out of a deep sleep: what is all this around me?

Anyways -- give me some tips. In terms of ARs at least, how do the scopes (RDS/4x/12x) stock up when compared to the other possible perks ... I'm looking at the 2x 40mm ammo and I find myself taking that more often than the sights. Engineer SMGs with sights ... Kurnikov vs. UMP? M60 with RDS or 4x?

What do you use?

Re: Assault Rifles and Machine Guns: what scope do you use? Is it even worth it?

I use the red dot on all weapons, I feel that it gives just the right view without distorting distance like the scope. Whenever I use the scope without the sniper rifle, it feels like all of my movements are jerky and it is easy to overcorrect and fire to far ahead of a moving target. It may just be that I am not used to them but it just feels awkward to me, and in the middle of an intense fight, you want to be calm and smooth with your movements.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Re: Assault Rifles and Machine Guns: what scope do you use? Is it even worth it?

UMP45 + RDS + Magnum = awesome

Very accurate with a good bit of bite to start with.

Most of the gun I can deal with the iron sites well enough so I usually go for another thing there unless I'm going to focus on the rifle, which depends on mood and how the team is doing.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

It really depends on the weapon. Some have good enough ironsights (HK 416) that some other perk is a better call. Some can go either way, but some have such terrible ironsights that you really need an optic (M60, AN94).

If you could switch the ARs to single fire, the 4x might be a better choice, but they are so inaccurate that a red dot is a better call in general.

Comment

I have never found a situation where not taking the RDS for the ARs would have been the best choice. The higher power optics are terrible at closer range and only so so at long range--the RDS excels close range and is more than adequate long range.

Quick target acquisition in a hectic situation is more important to me than extra explosives or ammunition. The RDS has no spatial disorientation close range, so you can easily move from one target to the next without missing a beat. I use the RDS on the M60 for the same reasons. The ACOG is fine for light fire, but when you're really laying it down the optic is just garbage.

As for engineer--why not just use the G3?

Comment

I would use the RDS on all assault rifles except for AN-94 and the M16. I prefer to have the extra accuracy. for the SMGs, I use no scopes because I prefer to have either more ammo for my SMG or my rocket launcher :)

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority but I like my 4x scope. Right now my favorite rifle is the M416. I try to engage at medium to long range with short bursts and magnum. Close range spray from the hip.
              aka spartan421
              Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

Originally posted by PennyFlame View Post
                I guess I'm in the minority but I like my 4x scope. Right now my favorite rifle is the M416. I try to engage at medium to long range with short bursts and magnum. Close range spray from the hip.
                Me too. The 4x on any of the assault rifles is great, particularly the AN-94, the M416, and the M16A. The red dot is usually fine for SMGs, as you won't be doing yourself any favors by trying to engage people at mid-to-long range. I usually use ironsights on LMGs because I like to take the medpack upgrade perks in both slots.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

The burst weapons (AN-94, M16A4) are great for the ACOG scopes. I also like using the ACOG for my MG3.

Comment

Most of the time I use the 4x scope. It is easier to take out people who are far away. At midrange it needs getting used to and at closerange I often don't aim, neither in normal nor in hardcore mode.
                    I switch to the red dot if I know that during the fight will be far more closerange than longrange duells. This happens often in urban environments or if the Mcom is under heavy attack.

Comment

Maybe you guys just need glasses.

Comment

I should check this!
                        How good will I be WITH glasses?

Comment

A little better than worse

Comment

Depends on the map. I usually use the ACOG 4x on the HK416, UMP 45 (I can make some badass long shots, due to smaller recoil) or the M60 (Medic-Sniper) with Magnum ammo.

I RARELY use the red dot but maybe I should try it a bit more.

Now if only I could stick a red dot or ACOG on the M14 I would be really happy.
                            |TG-Irr| D_Ronin
                            sigpic
                            "As the storm gathers, some run from the clouds in fear...Others prepare for the rain."

Comment

Originally posted by D_Ronin View Post
                              Now if only I could stick a red dot or ACOG on the M14 I would be really happy.
                              True, but then the assault class would almost be dispensable. But I think that's another story.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X