Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting OBJ B from tanks on Arica Harbor (1st Map)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting OBJ B from tanks on Arica Harbor (1st Map)

We have all seen this used (3 tanks shelling OBJ A and B) but I have rarely seen anyone put up an effective defense against it so I will outline a series of actions that MUST be employed by the defenders on the 1st section of Arica Harbor

WHAT I SEE HAPPENING NOW
    -defenders are laid back inside their base waiting for an attack...its useless to do that...
    -defenders just accept that the 1st map is wasted...this is an attitude issue that needs to be rectified with following suggestions....

HOW TO COUNTER (in order of most effective to least)
    1.) MORTAR STRIKE the tank (yes...it's good to have recons)..tanks are stationary when firing....
    2.) PUSH both T-90s forward to counter the Abrams (they are useless in the back)
    3.) USE RPGs with tracers
    4.) smoke the obj to blur the position of the OBJ (not as effective as destroying tanks)

I just played a game where we lost OBJ B in a matter of under 3 minutes
    THAT IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE under any circumstance...not only did the enemy team get back to 100 tickets...we also had to contend with 3 Abrams tanks in later maps...

Re: Protecting OBJ B from tanks on Arica Harbor (1st Map)

Even if countering this is good idea, at the best this can (with optics) be done from US base. This makes it much more harder to counter, besides the fact that you need to push rather than defend.

I've seen defenders buy some time by countering the tanks if they've been without repair monkeys, but making the building collapse is very easy, and main focus should be on the other MCOM. So giving larger focus on defending the "building MCOMs" than the ones that defenders need to arm or shoot in order to destroy isn't wise.

Comment

There is a lot of open room and cover on the West side of the approach where a harassment squad with one Assault with C4, Medic and 2 x Engineers with RPG's could cause a lot of trouble and be very distracting. It would only take one squad forward if they were focusing on keeping a defense forward spawn alive. A constant missile lock tone on the Abrams may influence their aim as well. Might be fun to try. As you said Doc, people are making short work of A which allows them to go for the overrun of B.

Comment

What are you guys talking about the main point is protecting B, the one where people usually have to run up to to arm but can be destroyed by tank fire with some time. A is pretty much a write off from the start. A lot of the time it seems like defenders are short on engineers, or maybe they have enough engineers but don't have them deployed in optimum firing positions. Tracer darts would help of course. I think to effectively counter the tank threat the game would need 16 people that know their role from the start. Deploy a squad of 2 recon, 1 assault, 1 medic to noob hill. Their job is to stay alive and rain death on tanks with 80 mike mike. 3 squads of 2 engineer, 1 assault, 1 medic on the main front. Everyone carries tracers and obsess about darting tanks. Engineers equip RPG-7, no Carl Gustavs. Maybe send two of these squads forward while the other hangs back by B in case anyone breaks through. If enemy armor gets darted you have six potential RPG's heading into it. Even if three engineers are dead I think you only need 3 rockets to kill a tank anyway, plus hopefully your recons are helping. Fire and advance to the bend in the mountains where the attackers have the option to turn right and cut them off from it leaving only the option to attack from the front. Aggressive defense is what you need.

Ok, back to reality. It's probably easier and more applicable in our daily gaming to just hold as long as possible doing what we do and fall back to the next set. Mine the road to the next set and other usual measures takes out their tank superiority most of the time. Plus A is easier to defend and B is pretty hard to collapse unless they get close.
        aka spartan421
        Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

I've seen an Abrams tank hit the Bravo MCOM from about 20 meters BEHIND the Abrams spawn in the attackers' main area. There seems to be no way to counter this *but* to push out.

Also note: the attackers have no cone-of-death around their first staging area. You can actually walk up to the tank snipers and set C4 on them. Provided you can make it that far alive :)

Comment

Mixa...I believe you have the OBJ mixed up...OBJ B is the one that isn't inside the collapsible building....

Right now it's just frustrating to see a lack of a good counter to this tactic
            It's absolutely necessary to have engineers and recons push out...at least a squad and a half plus maybe a t-90 or two....
            Start firing into the "UCB" since this is one of those situations where you can't stand back and just take the punishment from these tanks...
            It's not like BF2142 where the ominous haze denies tank snipes..

Comment

Objective A is a forgone conclusion in this map, so focusing on that as any part of a defense is useless.

Obj B, against is a coordinated attacking team can also be a forgone conclusion.

To beat tank shelling russian tanks HAVE to push out, ideally with infantry support.

Recons need to be shelling the tanks, just to harass them at least.

Harassment is the key, provided you can keep the tanks moving, you can prevent them from getting locked in on OBJ B and shell it from afar.

On the other hand, given the difficulty in defending the starting MCOM's on Arica Harbor, a defense that has planned for it can make the area a nightmare for attackers.

If shunting the offense is a forlorn hope, then digging in to chew up tickets afterward is a strong plan.

Once the MCOM are (assuming) destroyed, getting as many kills in once the reset hits is ideal. If done well enough hopefully the defenders can chew off 20 or so tickets just inside the spawn alone.

AT mines are an obvious, but so is assaults/recons with C4 setting traps on the hills and on other vehicles to delay the new offensive push.

But as far as theorycrafted "Even Teams" go, attackers should be able to take out both MCOM's with extremely minimal casualties.

Leading to the preferred plan of digging in and starting the defenders ticket chewing machine in action after the first two are destroyed.

Comment

Rarely have I seen the US attack stopped at this point, but I have seen it happen.

Lots of Engis to the forward positions. Occupying and holding the rock formations to the forward left of the Russian base is critical. Have also seen much success with a T90 camped there. Also holding the high ground on the right is critical to keep snipers from getting clear fields of fire for mortar strikes.

Can't remember is the Russians have a UAV at that point, but UAV with optics loaded would be critical for stand off Hellfire strikes on attacking armor.

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
                  Mixa...I believe you have the OBJ mixed up...OBJ B is the one that isn't inside the collapsible building....

Right now it's just frustrating to see a lack of a good counter to this tactic
                  It's absolutely necessary to have engineers and recons push out...at least a squad and a half plus maybe a t-90 or two....
                  Start firing into the "UCB" since this is one of those situations where you can't stand back and just take the punishment from these tanks...
                  It's not like BF2142 where the ominous haze denies tank snipes..
                  I though you mixed them as I've never seen B go down without infantry push, armor has never played major role as defenders' tanks spawn quickly and all the stationary ATs give nice way to force them to retreat. I take your original point was about importance of some anti-armor in the first stage with some people pushing out (which is good point), when I thought you wanted to hold both points with heavy AT and strong pushes.

Comment

A is a lost cause. Even if you contain the tanks, it will go down to Mortar Strikes, which are much harder to prevent. And since defenders only have two T-90s to the attackers three Abrahms, defense can't push their armor forward. The best defending armor can do is get behind the burm on the left side, or stay back on the right to fire from a distance, otherwise they are far to exposed and will go down quickly.

This is a very hard stage for defenders to push forward, and stay in the forward position. B site is a tough nut to crack, and the stage has a lot of natural defensive features to take advantage of, so the best thing to do is hunker down and do your best to defend B to pass this stage. All it takes is a few mortar strikes to take down the A building.
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

OBJ B can fall quite easily to tank fire...it just takes time and patience....a coordinated attacking team committed to that tactic can take OBJ B without risking lives...I've seen it done many times!!

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
                        OBJ B can fall quite easily to tank fire...it just takes time and patience....a coordinated attacking team committed to that tactic can take OBJ B without risking lives...I've seen it done many times!!
                        You mean with direct hits on the MCOM box itself? Because Obj B on stage 1 of Arica Harbor is in a building that doesn't collapse. The only place tanks can get a direct LOS on that box is from the hill on the attackers left side, otherwise LOS is blocked by the concrete walls around the barracks, and tanks there are sitting ducks to tracers, mortar strikes, and C4.

Obj A will fall within the first 2-3 minutes from the collapsing building, since it's so easy to hit from attackers spawn area, but I can't see how tanks could shell B to death without incompetence on the defenders part. Maybe you can enlighten me as to how that strategy works because I've never seen it.
                        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                          You mean with direct hits on the MCOM box itself? Because Obj B on stage 1 of Arica Harbor is in a building that doesn't collapse. The only place tanks can get a direct LOS on that box is from the hill on the attackers left side, otherwise LOS is blocked by the concrete walls around the barracks, and tanks there are sitting ducks to tracers, mortar strikes, and C4.

Obj A will fall within the first 2-3 minutes from the collapsing building, since it's so easy to hit from attackers spawn area, but I can't see how tanks could shell B to death without incompetence on the defenders part. Maybe you can enlighten me as to how that strategy works because I've never seen it.
                          Tanks can get direct hits on it at much closer ranges as well, which is really the big issue.

With solid infantry support the attackers can get their tanks in close range, with recons mortaring the areas surrounding B and picking off defenders, combined with Engineer support repairing the Abrahm's can make for very swift take-downs.

Anecdotal as it is, I've seen great success in digging in and planning for the attackers to steam roll through the first set of MCOM's and chewing through tickets afterward.

Even if the defender's can keep the attacker's from getting LOS with tanks they can still support infantry pushes and provide exceptional cover once an MCOM has been armed.

All said and done though, Arica Harbor's first map is exceptionally difficult to defend against a coordinated team, not impossible, but damn near.

Comment

I can hit B from any of the tank spawn its only a matter of knowing what are the angle and adjusting by looking if the mcom flash or not. An even easier route is to have a recon/anything else in helping you correcting the tank aim from too far behind to too up front. With assistance from allied soldier I'm pretty sure I could hit B from close to anywhere except from behind the hill on the west of the map.

Comment

hahaha...so when I say "fall" I don't mean the building falling on it...I mean a figurative "falling" when OBJ B has fallen to enemy hands and is destroyed....

It's truly frustrating to defend this first map and nowadays...I push forward with a single T90 to harass and pull attention away from the M-COM
                              It's even more frustrating to see a defensive team struggle to reduce the tickets during the transition period between the two maps...

IF YOU ARE EVER IN THIS KIND OF A FIGHT, WHERE OBJ A HAS BEEN DESTROYED, WHERE ONLY THE TANKS ARE SHELLING B AND FEW IF ANY ATTACKERS ARE STREAMING INTO THE PERIMETER OF THE OBJ(s):

1.)I would say at the very best....lower the attackers ticket count to 75 and set up a strong defense outlined below when the attackers finally take down both objectives....
                              2.)Once you have the attackers at 75 tickets...it would be a good idea to setup a strong contain around the first map and focus on denying attackers entrance into the first map...no need to worry about the objectives now...this is the amount of tickets they will get for the next map...nothing more nothing less...

The greatest "counter" that defenders have in any rush game is having a relatively superior position if the attacking team has little to no presence on the old map during the transition period...
                              I've seen games where the defenders have gained enormous leverage on the attacking team by making the transition period a living hell. 75 tickets isn't much considering if 20-30 of those tickets can be wiped during the first few minutes of the transition period...during these few minutes...you can alter the rest of the game and stop the attackers cold

3.)Once OBJ B has fallen...dedicate 2 squads to watch the border and prevent attackers from streaming through...(anti-tank mines...recon balls...C4...whatever it takes)but tell everyone else to start harassing the enemy spawn locations....it's their fault for dying quickly at their new spawn location... at this point make sure you also take out at least two of their tanks as they start moving forward...

From steps 2 to 3, you as the defender, must make your own transition in changing how defensive lines should be formed...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X