Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 2 Kits to Man a Tank?

Random thought I had the other day...

I assumed that in most cases, if a pair of guys decided to operate a heavy/light tank, naturally they'd want to both be engineers to speed up the repair process.

With BC2 being infantry-centric (along with the tracer dart buff), do you think a tank team is better off suited with an assault-engineer combo? If the assault equips the smoke nade, he can neutralize the tracer dart prior to missile lock.

While the enemy can just replace the tracer dart, I think it buys the tank some time in that it doesn't have to back out to avoid the missile and be somewhat out of commission while being repaired.

... or a teammate can equip the smoke nade and do it himself to help the tank out. Either way, it seems like an underutilized tactic, given that so far, I've only seen smoke nades used for cover, and not to neutralize tracer darts.

Re: Best 2 Kits to Man a Tank?

I think that the driver should be medic with vehicle smoke perk, gunner is engi with vehicle warhead, if the engi goes down repairing, the medic can smoke, hop out, revive get back in

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
    "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Originally posted by BlindGamer View Post
      I think that the driver should be medic with vehicle smoke perk, gunner is engi with vehicle warhead, if the engi goes down repairing, the medic can smoke, hop out, revive get back in
      It's not smart to be hopping out of your vehicle, even to repair, if you're in a hot zone. Let alone to run around reviving people. Leave it to the medics on the ground. The best combo is engi/engi so you are able to self repair in any circumstance. Redundancy is good in this case.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I agree that leaving a vehicle empty in a combat zone is asking for trouble of the "dude, where's my tank" variety. As far as best kit combination, I've certainly wondered about the assault with smoke approach more than a few times. To date, I've not seen it attempted, though I've seen coordinated infantry/armour assaults where the accompanying infantry would smoke the tank as needed.

I would like to see a driver as engineer with optical or alt fire perk and gunner as assault with smoke, and the extra armour perk in the BMD/Bradley, and the reverse of that configuration for an MBT. The reason for this is simple: Bradley main guns are better than its machine gun at engaging infantry, but the reverse is true for the MBT. Losing your secondary fire in the Bradley is less of a sacrifice when you're engaging infantry, and are more likely to be darted. Losing your primary fire in the MBT is less significant when facing infantry, because really, shells aren't great at taking out rocket-lobbing engies anyway.

Not happy about losing mobility in my MBT scenario, but it doesn't take long to smoke the vehicle, and the gunner can always take over driving if the driver jumps out and gets killed.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

Most of the time it would be best to do Engineer/Engineer - Gunner ALWAYS armor perk (In the heavy tank a gunner's armor perk reduces damage by 6, whereas a driver's perk would reduce a rocket hit by 8). Use whatever you want in the main seat (I rotate between reload, alt fire, and optical for a heavy tank. In the light tanks I almost always use alt fire.)

The reason for having a gunner use armor perk is simple; it appears to be one of the only perks that actually carries over to the vehicle. Using the vehicle smoke perk in the gunner seat is pointless because it doesn't work. Reload does nothing, warhead does nothing, alt fire is for chopper gunners only, optical does nothing, and the only perk I see being viable besides armor, would be the sensor (I haven't tested if it works from the gunner seat).

Additionally, shooting a smoke grenade at a tank does not remove the tracer dart. It has to be vehicle smoke from the main seat. (If I am wrong, please tell me, but I have tried it several times).

In theory your gunner could bring vehicle smoke and you could switch seats to do it, but that is quite a hassle unless you are playing with someone you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Unload View Post
            Additionally, shooting a smoke grenade at a tank does not remove the tracer dart. It has to be vehicle smoke from the main seat. (If I am wrong, please tell me, but I have tried it several times).
            I haven't tried it myself, but according to Silver's video, it does (about 1:00 in)

Comment

Yep...Just tried it. Definately works. You dont even need to hit anywhere close to the dart. I got a dart to disappear without the smoke even reaching the vehicle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X