MacLeod's Guide to the Medic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacLeod's Guide to the Medic

Disclaimer: These tactics are all created from personal experiences, so they may not apply to people with widely varying play styles from my own.

I will add subsequent chapters with further explanations/diagrams overtime as I gain more experience and have more time on my hands.

Chapter 1

Over the past few months, I have played medic a lot and have accumulated over 9400 revives and over 3,300 heals. To me, the medic as a class feels the best as you are constantly doing something productive towards your team throughout the entire round.

What is a medic?

Wikipedia describes a medic as:

“Medic is a general term for a person involved in medicine, especially emergency or first-response medicine, such as an emergency medical technician, paramedic, or a military member trained in battlefield medicine. Also the term is used toward a Nurse in pre-hospital care and/or emergency departments. It may also refer to a medical student or, in limited settings, a physician.”

Obviously this definition does not apply completely to BFBC2, so what does a Medic truly do? For myself, there are four main objectives as a medic aside from the team’s objectives, they are to

A: Heal
    B: Revive
    C: Provide Covering Fire, and
    D: Kill Enemies

A. Healing

The medic heals in this game with the medkit, which is a small bouncy box that automatically restores health to other players. Unlike past titles, you must drop the box for its effects to work. The medkit takes approximately 10 seconds to reload after throwing. On a level surface, a medkit dropped from a stationary position travels approx 2 meters, a medkit thrown while moving travels approx 4 meters, and a medkit thrown while jumping travels approx 10 meters. As far as I can tell so far, the medkit stays up until you drop another one and can not be destroyed. Shooting a medkit with regular weapons causes it to move about 1 inch, with moving medkit that are shot traveling farther. Explosives cause medkit to move larger distances, relative to the location where the explosive hit near the medkit. Medkits also have a “Helium Effect” to them and they do not respond to physics the way you think they would. When throwing, they appear to be light and hollow and they hang in the air for a long period of time, however when dropped off the side of a cliff they appear to be heavy and the fall easily and fast, and anything higher then about a 45˚ incline can cause them to begin to slide. Medkits also do not hamper your movement when walking over them, they have no apparent geometry to their meshes which causes them to be in the way.

Medkits themselves are very useful, as they are the only item in the game which can actually heal soldiers. They have a very large heal radius and can heal through small objects. A smart medic will find a group of allies who are underfire and drop a medkit in the middle of them, as medkits can heal multiple allies at a time. On cliffs, look for rocks to wedge medkits in so that they stay in place. The best way to place a medkit so that it does not fall down an incline is to drop it from a stationary position so that it does not have any momentum. Medkits will bounce over objects if they have to much momentum when thrown on a hill. If you know a map has a relatively well-used choke point that your team has to rush through, then drop a medkit in between the walls of the chokepoint and approx 4 yards back from the opining so that soldiers can begin to be healed while underfire when approaching the point. It is also helpful to throw a medkit nearby stationary armor so that engineers can be healed while getting splash damage from rockets while repairing the armor.

B. Reviving

The medic revives in this game in the same manor as all previous BF titles with the defibs. Unlike 2142, the defibs in BC2 are more like BFV paddles as they have a larger revive range and are easier to use although the longer cooldown can get annoying. Reviving in BC2 is somewhat of an art, if you can get it just right then you will feel like some life-giving god. The best way to revive a downed ally, especially underfire, is to revive them while in motion with two simple steps. Step 1: Find ally’s body and gauge distance, crossfire, and enemy locations nearby (It is imperative to make sure that you do not run around a corner to revive someone and end up getting shot yourself, if your ally’s killer is nearby always shoot first and revive later). Step 2: Run towards body and click the revive button when approx 3.5 meters away from the body. This will give you just enough time so that when the revive effect takes place, you will be just in range to revive them without having to slowdown or missing. You can run straight at the body during the process because when you revive the dead person, their body moves approx 2 meters so that it will not be obstructing your movement. This also works when a body is on the other side of a wall, if they are close enough then you can revive them and they will end up on the side of the wall that you are on. Ex: A large firefight is going on outside of a building and two of your allies die right outside the building that you are in. You can revive them both back inside and let them reload and continue on with the fight. Paddles can also be used as an alternative to the knife for an extra humiliating death. Unlike reviving allies though, the range for killing enemies with the defibs appears to be smaller as you must be almost directly on top of them for it to work. Also, this can be useful if your ally and an enemy die side by side; if you are running to revive your buddy and an enemy medic is running to revive his, then instead of swapping weapons you can simply shock him and then go for your ally. If you are caught in the middle of a firefight and your allies are getting picked off like flies, then an effective strategy can be to drop a medkit nearby them and reviving, crouching under cover until the paddles are recharged, and then reviving again. If there is a long open area where your allies are dying, then go Cover A-->Body-->Cover B-->Body-->Cover C/A etc. The most important thing you can remember when reviving is to ALWAYS KEEP MOVING. If you have to run to the body, stop, and then revive then chances are you are going to get shot, and a dead medic is pointless.

C. Providing Covering Fire

In BFBC2 there is no direct “Support” Class unlike previous titles. Assaults have ammo boxes, recons use balls, and there are no 2142 shields or turrets. As games are smaller, shorter, and more hectic, this strategy has almost become invalid. In general, players will swarm into areas with live fire CoD style, negating the location-restricting covering fire of PR and (sometimes) 2142. Supporting your allies though can be helped in different ways. If enemies get hit indicators, they almost always will go for cover, so giving a wide sweep of an enemy position can cause half of the players to get momentarily distracted giving your allies time to advance to new cover. LMG’s, with their large magazines, are perfectly ideal for this task (don’t forget that you can shoot through thin cover such as wood). Although enemies will run across wide open fields under fire, for some reason their common sense pops in when trying to shoot out a window if someone shoots back. If you know that there are 3 engineers dishing out CG rounds from that tiny third story window, then fire a round through it every few seconds to discourage them from getting close to it and most of the time, they will get annoyed eventually and move somewhere else giving your team a chance to move forwards freely.

D. Killing Enemies

Duh, medics can kill people. No brainer right? Well to be most effective you have to know how your weapon works. With LMG’s, there are three general areas that you will be shooting enemies from; close range, medium range, and far range. At close range, you have two options. A: You take a gambit and fire from the hip hoping that you will hit them with enough bullets to take them down, or B: Quickly going to scope and taking them down. Generally, you want to go with the later option, but if you are caught by surprise then sometimes you will not have enough time to be able to scope, sight, and fire. The second area where you will commonly be shooting people from is medium range (about 15-40 meters away). In this range, as a rule of thumb you should always scope and go for the head with either 1 shot bursts or sustained fire. This is probably the easiest area to get kills in, and if you are lucky then you can find a good choke point to park yourself at while healing your allies and you can get kill after kill as enemies run through (Do not do this if you are attacking on rush, as sitting back and killing enemies is not as effective as pushing up in this mode). The last area you will be firing from is long range. At these long distances, you should always use one shot bursts but you do not have to aim for the head every time unless you have killer accuracy or else you may end up not hitting the enemy. When it comes to the LMG’s themselves, you have a wide variety of weapons at your disposal, and what you use is down to personal preference. Many people now choose to use the MG36 for its free RDS, however I still feel the best with the M60, red dot sight, and magnum ammo. I get the best variety of accuracy, stopping power, and range with this combination and I highly suggest anyone new to medics to try it out. Medics can also be used well with shotguns and other multiclass armaments, however I appreciate the distance capabilities of LMG’s because I like to be able to kill from any point on the map effectively. I will have more statistics on these weapons later on.

End of Chapter 1

I hope you appreciate my tips, I will try to build some diagrams and get some screenshots sometime to give visual displays of what I do when playing medic. Also, I will build upon this with more chapters later on, so hopefully this can act as a working field manual for all medics, new and old alike.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Re: MacLeod's Guide to the Medic

My biggest problem when I'm a medic is that after I'm in a firefight I'll have a tendency to pull out the med kit and run for cover. In BF2142 this helps your health but not in BF2! Many times I'll run into an enemy and can not switch to a gun fast enough to counter the attack. I need to break that habit. I feel that a good medic can be the turning point in any game as they immediately return fellow players to the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
      My biggest problem when I'm a medic is that after I'm in a firefight I'll have a tendency to pull out the med kit and run for cover. In BF2142 this helps your health but not in BF2! Many times I'll run into an enemy and can not switch to a gun fast enough to counter the attack. I need to break that habit. I feel that a good medic can be the turning point in any game as they immediately return fellow players to the battle.
      I do this sometimes too and can't seem to break the crouch-and-shoot reflex either.

Thanks McLeod, this is an excellent post. A+ and a beer on me.

I tend to favour the MG36 so i can carry both health boxes and become Super-Heal-Medic-Man :) and sometimes carry the MG3 because it is suprisinly effective in CQB and still gives ranged attack. You do have to watch your ammo though as it has a very high cyclic rate.
      We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by retrokill View Post
        I tend to favour the MG36 so i can carry both health boxes and become Super-Heal-Medic-Man :) and sometimes carry the MG3 because it is suprisinly effective in CQB and still gives ranged attack. You do have to watch your ammo though as it has a very high cyclic rate.
        That explains why I get killed alot by the MG36! I assume that most players will cycle through their weapons getting the Gold Stars for mor points.

Comment

Good guide.

I'm assuming you'll get to this in later chapters, but I've just recently come to appreciate the effectiveness of the medic-only squad - especially on maps with little to no armor.

A good medic squad can completely roll on a map and is virtually unstoppable unless you can take out the whole squad at once.

Comment

That explains why I get killed alot by the MG36! I assume that most players will cycle through their weapons getting the Gold Stars for mor points.
            What are these points you speak of? I thought we played for glory :) I think if you're no less effective with your new toy of death then go for gold.

From observational evidence I think the MG36 is the 2nd most popular LMG followed by the XM88. The top death dealer is still the M60 for which I have a gold shiny for. That surprised me as I don't carry this gun by choice. I must be picking it up when revived (which happens a lot), considering its popularity there's a good chance I'll die near one.
            We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

This is exactly what I'm doing. So far I've spent a good amt of time in with the Type88, M60, XM8, and MG36. I do like the M60 due to it's high damage, but the MG36 and XM8 had nice accuracy.

Comment

I don't know what they're using (I'm going to guess Magnum Ammo is one of them...) but even if they have an MG36, I rarely come across someone carrying med kit upgrades.

::

Something of relevance you might add is that if you're going to run across a firing zone, throwing your med kit so that you're running over it may save you as you move to the next cover.

Comment

After the latest patch they fixed the hitboxes for me.. And once again I'm in love with the MG36..Use the Magnum ammo and aim for the head (One bullet at the time) and you got yourself a sniper rifle:D
                  Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Yeah the accuracy of the XM8 LMG was the sole reason it was my first platinum star.

Comment

The M60 still "feels" the best to me. It does not have the fastest rate of fire, but it still feels like it packs a punch for what it has, and you can usually get 4-5 kills per clip if you fire in short bursts/one shot.

Former TG-21st
                      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I've been running the accuracy perk of late and I'm beginning that it's more significant than magnum ammo.

Comment

I used to use the accuracy perk, and then I switched to Magnum after the patch to make the M60 feel more consistent.

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

i swear every bullet that drops me is from the MG36!

:)

Comment

I am stuck with MG3 currently but not for long, i just got my 7th gold star yesterday.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X