Chopper Pilot / Gunner Communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopper Pilot / Gunner Communication

Scenario: I more often than not find myself piloting the chopper, seeing multiple enemies (infantry) on the ground and I don't know of a good way to tell my gunner that there are enemies right there. The gunner is often focused elsewhere while we get shot down by the immediate infantry in front of us.

Question: What are some good ideas or strategies to communicate with your gunner to tell him where you need him to focus his fire?

Things I have tried:

Calling out Landmarks ie. "2 contacts by the red crate, left"
    Pros:
    Gunner can immediately look at that landmark and shoot enemies

Cons:
    Pilot and Gunner must know the landmarks on the map.
    There is not always a landmark
    There is more than one of that type of landmark

Calling out Directions - Ie. 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock, left, right, high, low "2 contacts, low left"
    Pros:
    Gunner knows which way to turn his gun

Cons:
    Near impossible to always know which way the pilot is facing
    Saying, "12 o'clock" often has the gunner looking between 10 all the way to 2 o'clock.

Re: Chopper Pilot / Gunner Communication

Originally posted by Tllyx View Post
    Calling out Landmarks ie. "2 contacts by the red crate, left"
    Pros:
    Gunner can immediately look at that landmark and shoot enemies

Cons:
    Pilot and Gunner must know the landmarks on the map.
    There is not always a landmark
    There is more than one of that type of landmark
    Additional Con: Gunner monitor is greyscale, although that's more a problem of the example used. "Crates" is usually sufficient. If the person in the gunner seat has some idea of how the map is laid out, you can usually get away with "A, North building roof" or the like.

Comment

Totally thinking in fantasy land here but a combined arms approach might work if you can't rely on the rest of the team to spot. Get a guy that works with you into the UAV with zoom and he can hang back and spot targets in your vicinity. Also, maybe instead of landmarks you can divide each objective into quadrants to narrow down the search area. "Contacts left upper" or something like that. Of course you'd have to be on the same wavelength for that to work all the time and it would be a constantly changing grid relative to your current position. Unless your squad is super cool and has pre-assigned coordinates for everything on the map regardless of facing. Now that would take some real teamwork but I'm guessing it would be very efficient.
      aka spartan421
      Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

Originally posted by PennyFlame View Post
        Totally thinking in fantasy land here but a combined arms approach might work if you can't rely on the rest of the team to spot. Get a guy that works with you into the UAV with zoom and he can hang back and spot targets in your vicinity. Also, maybe instead of landmarks you can divide each objective into quadrants to narrow down the search area. "Contacts left upper" or something like that. Of course you'd have to be on the same wavelength for that to work all the time and it would be a constantly changing grid relative to your current position. Unless your squad is super cool and has pre-assigned coordinates for everything on the map regardless of facing. Now that would take some real teamwork but I'm guessing it would be very efficient.
        Good suggestions. When in the chopper, q spots are amazing. The gunner can support the team very easily when the team is q-spotting. UAV thing may be interesting. On the two maps that have the chopper though, UAV is very exposed.

What about something along the lines of saying, "Contacts close" or "Contacts far" ? It wouldn't be very specific but directions just do not work. If by saying, "Contacts close", causes the gunner to swivel his turret around and look for what I'm seeing.. it may work out. I don't know.

Comment

Know what overall would fix this? A compass! C'mon dice!

Comment

The piilot can Q spot, right?

Perhaps binding the spot key to one of your joystick controls can make it easier to do while still being able to focus on piloting.

Being able to spot targets and then say something along the lines of "spotting two targets at 10 o'clock" would help the gunner zero in faster because he/she has a reference point (the q spot) and knows the general direction to look.

Personally, I don't have any problems picking up targets if the pilot shouts out clock designations. Perhaps it comes from years of duck hunting and that's how we designate the arrival of future entrees.

Comment

If people on the ground would actually Q-Spot, then the chopper would be much more effective. Its hard enough getting pilot to gunner comms, but the gunner sometimes can spend up to half the flight simply looking for people to shoot at because no one on the ground bothered to q-spot enemies. Believe me, with a good gunner, if you q-spot someone they will die.

And forest, sometimes that would not work because the pilot cant simply q-spot someone if they see them, they have to be pointed at them meaning they would have to start making random nose dives to be able to spot people for the gunner, which would make gunning harder and the chopper much easier to be killed. The most effective way would be for the pilot to say where the person was, although as mentioned before that would be rather hard without good reference points.

Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
                The piilot can Q spot, right?

Perhaps binding the spot key to one of your joystick controls can make it easier to do while still being able to focus on piloting.

Being able to spot targets and then say something along the lines of "spotting two targets at 10 o'clock" would help the gunner zero in faster because he/she has a reference point (the q spot) and knows the general direction to look.

Personally, I don't have any problems picking up targets if the pilot shouts out clock designations. Perhaps it comes from years of duck hunting and that's how we designate the arrival of future entrees.
                You cannot q-spot as the gunner or the pilot. It doesn't register.

Spotting targets at 10 o'clock is good in theory but believe me.. as much as a pilot should be moving.. there is no way for the gunner to tell where 10 o'clock is. It is very very very difficult to figure out which way the pilot is flying or looking.

One thing I was thinking about is being able to look back at the rear view. As a pilot, I often check behind me to see what's there. I think the gunner can do the same. With being able to do that.. he can see which way his gun is facing or which way the chopper is moving.

The gunner has roughly a 7-8 o'clock view to a 4-5 o'clock view. The gunner can almost see behind the chopper. It's pretty difficult to use clock directions.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                  If people on the ground would actually Q-Spot, then the chopper would be much more effective. Its hard enough getting pilot to gunner comms, but the gunner sometimes can spend up to half the flight simply looking for people to shoot at because no one on the ground bothered to q-spot enemies. Believe me, with a good gunner, if you q-spot someone they will die.

And forest, sometimes that would not work because the pilot cant simply q-spot someone if they see them, they have to be pointed at them meaning they would have to start making random nose dives to be able to spot people for the gunner, which would make gunning harder and the chopper much easier to be killed. The most effective way would be for the pilot to say where the person was, although as mentioned before that would be rather hard without good reference points.

Ya, when friendlies q-spot enemies, they die very fast. The chopper is an unbelievable asset when people q-spot. Most of the time though, the team isn't q-spotting so there has to be a fall-back method.

Comment

I don't think you can look behind you as when are gunning the chopper, Not sure tho..

But shouldn't a Left high, Right low be enough?

And to go back to the spotting.. Please do it more on Atacama desert?:D I see less and less spotting on that map now compared to like a 1-2 moths ago..
                    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Get Solid Snake behind enemy lines with a sniper rifle and hidden in the 2nd floor of a building or something like that. On maps like Atacama Desert you can spot a good chunk of B and bits of A from a C building. No shooting just spotting for the chopper. Only downside is your guy is a retard and shouts out spots for every enemy in the vicinity to hear.
                      aka spartan421
                      Bad Company 2: Kill dudes heal bros.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...