BFBC2: gameoverlayui cannot read memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFBC2: gameoverlayui cannot read memory

Alright so i have recently brought BFBC2 on steam and it was working great! untill a few days before...

The problem is this: I go to steam and sign in and start the game and everything loads fine and i join a server. After i would say 5-10 minutes, more if im lucky, the game will freeze, nothing would work. i am playing fullscreen and so i tried to minimize with alt+tab and it usually works but this time the game is in the background or nothing happens.

Now it splits into one of two possible outcomes from where i left off:
    1. i cant do anything, cant force quit the game or anything so my last option is to force restart my computer and once i press the power button a error message comes up saying code blah blah gameoverlayui cannot read memory.
    2. I can force quit the game but although my screen and the start menu bar shows no signs of BFBC2, i can see the process still running in the task manager/processes and it wont terminate no matter what i do.

Solutions that i have tried:
    1. deleting the game and steam and re downloading - fail
    2. deleting the game from my computer and trying to run it on an external hard drive - fail
    3. deleting the whole partition on my computer, operating system and everything, and reformatting the hard drive and re-downloading windows and the game - fail

i have run out of option and i need your help!

My computer specs:
    i use a 2010 macbook (10.6 i believe, what ever is the newest one) and using bootcamp to run windows.
    Intel Core 2 duo cpu P8600 @ 2.40 GHz
    1.74 GB of ram
    and it just says physical address extension (not sure what that means)
    Directx 9.0 i believe
    .net framework 3.5 and 4 are installed
    Windows XP version 2002 SP3 genuine
    everything should be update
    GeForce 320M graphics card 256 MB of memory
    Driver for it is 196.82

Now you may think that it may be bootcamp that is screwing this up or my computer is not good enough to play this game but i dont really think it is since i did work for i would say 5 hours of gaming, around 3 days and i can run Project Reality, BF2, BF2142, CODMW, and basically any game that i have.

Please help guys, steam wont let me post on there forums to ask (cause i have to wait till they review my account which i think is stupid) and i searched everywhere and i dont seem to have found a solution. If you need anymore info, please dont hesitate to ask.

Thank you in advance! :]

EDIT: i have found out that my nvidia driver was not up to date. it is currently now 260.99
    Last edited by Ashikabi; 01-03-2011, 08:02 PM.
    sigpic lTG-Irrl Ashikabi

Dont get STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) from your STD (Short Term Decision) LOL
    ~My Sister~

Re: BFBC2: gameoverlayui cannot read memory

Every now and then I run across a server that will cause my computer to freeze up. Dont know why. I just dont use that server anymore. Look around for a more reliable one.

As for shutting down the computer other than hitting the power button, try pressing CTRL, ALT and the Del key together. After that if you dont see anything, press the ALT key then press the "U' key then the "S" key. That normally will bring up the windows users screen allowing you to press your user icon whereas the system window will show up allowing you to stop the BFBC2 program which is properly not responding. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
      Every now and then I run across a server that will cause my computer to freeze up. Dont know why. I just dont use that server anymore. Look around for a more reliable one.

As for shutting down the computer other than hitting the power button, try pressing CTRL, ALT and the Del key together. After that if you dont see anything, press the ALT key then press the "U' key then the "S" key. That normally will bring up the windows users screen allowing you to press your user icon whereas the system window will show up allowing you to stop the BFBC2 program which is properly not responding. Good luck.
      I have tried closing my computer normally but it just sits there. it will try and close BFBC2 process but that process just wont close. it just sits there, doesnt use any cpu but takes like 400,000 plus memory and it just wont close. I tried using end process tree and still nothing. i tried letting it close on it on and i left it there for a good hour nothing, only option is to force quit.

As for the servers, i have tried many servers and all of them still freezes the game.

Thanks for your help though :]
      sigpic lTG-Irrl Ashikabi

Dont get STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) from your STD (Short Term Decision) LOL
      ~My Sister~

Comment

Just a random guess but I think there may be a way to turn off the in-game steam overlay, judging by your error message that might work.

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
          Just a random guess but I think there may be a way to turn off the in-game steam overlay, judging by your error message that might work.
          hmmm well i did try to open bfbc2 without the overlay i think. i am not too sure but i remember if i click the icon that doesnt go to steam but instead goes to bfbc2, it opens steam and starts the game and i looked in my process and gameoverlayui wasnt there. but it still froze, not too sure if there was a error message or not though.
          sigpic lTG-Irrl Ashikabi

~My Sister~

Comment

@VeggieBoWeggie I have the same problem I believe. It works fine in single player mode, but same symptoms in multiplayer. I also have pretty much the identical specs on my Macbook pro... please email me if you find anything. barrand at g mail dot

Comment

@VeggieBoWegge Do you think it has anything to do with punkbuster? That would make some sense since it only happens to me when playing multiplayer... It doesn't seem to be hardware related

Comment

I HAVE SOLVED IT!!! :D

SO! basically i uninstalled BFBC2 and Steam and restarted my computer
                than, go to start menu and click on run (the run program thing) and type in regedit and then press control f to bring up the find menu. search Battlefield, Battlefield bad company 2, bfbc2, steam, gameoverlayui, and basically delete all the registry that has to deal with steam and bfbc2.

WARNING!!!!! IF YOU DO THIS WRONG YOU MAY MESS UP SOMETHING IN UR COMPUTER SO BE SURE THAT THE ITEM U ARE DELETING IS IN FACT SOMETHING TO DO WITH BFBC2 OR STEAM!!!

after u have finished all the searches and the deleting, go to that same run program and type in temp, delete everything there (i believe this is only the temporary files needed to run a program, i have been deleting them for a while now and nothing is wrong) after deleting the files there go to the run program again and search up %temp% and delete everything there. (its basically the same thing as temp)
                ****if u cannot delete something, dont worry about it, just skip that file*****

ok now that u have cleaned ur computer of bfbc2 and steam, be sure to restart ur computer and redownload steam and than redownload bfbc2 and it should work, it worked for me :]

if u have any more questions or this does not work for u please feel free to post here im sorry i may not be able to respond right away but i will be sure to try

IMPORTANT!!! i will not hold responsibility to anything that happens to ur computer that u did. Please only use this solution if u know what ur doing.

sigpic lTG-Irrl Ashikabi

~My Sister~

Comment

Have you updated your Punkbuster files?

Comment

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement