Field of view setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field of view setting

For those of you that do not know, there is a hidden setting in BCBF2 called field of view (FOV). There have been threads about the FOV before; this one is a reminder for those that missed it.

Tweaking the FOV it is akin to adjusting the zoom on your camera - you can zoom in for a closer look and zoom out for a wider view. These pictures tell the story far better than any of my words: http://www.pestgaming.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16370.

To change this setting , you have to modify an .ini file. In WinXP, this file is C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\BFBC2\settings.ini. There are no issues with punkbuster or any other anti-cheat tool; this modification is not a cheat, it is a preference. To modify this setting change the line that says
    Fov=55.

A lower number means that you get a more 'zoomed in' view. The upside is that your targets are larger and easier to hit (just as if you were zoomed in by aiming your weapon). The downside is that you see less overall.

A higher number means that you get a wider field of view, allowing more peripheral vision. The downside is that your targets are smaller. The upside is that you get more peripheral vision.

If you have never changed this setting, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Check out this site to compute actual angle of view based on your resolution and fov: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfb...calculator.php

The FOV setting affects your default view when NOT zoomed in by aiming your weapon and when NOT driving a vehicle. You may not change this setting while in game.

Re: Field of view setting

I just tried this....still need to find the "best" setting for me but it is one hell of a difference!!!!!

Best post ever :)

thank you!

Comment

Sounds interesting but I don't think I will try it because it will prob just screw up my aim and make me play worst till I get used to it...

Comment

Another aspect of FOV is motion sickness, I can quite easily get motion sickness in front of certain games and when I recently got a new 24" screen BC2 at default FOV was no exception, adjusting to a wider FOV took care of that, the surroundings donīt zip past as fast when you turn around.
        sigpic

Comment

I was looking for instructions to fix that setting for a while now, but you beat me to it. I set it to 200 and now it seems like my viewing area is 1/3 bigger. Nice post Bleeding.
          sigpic

Comment

Tried 200 (nutty bird's eye view effect).
            Tried 30 (small field of view)
            Returned to FOV 60 (running at 1920x1080 on a 20 inch monitor).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
              I forgot where, but I heard at that resolution/aspect ratio (16:9), ~100-110 FOV is ideal. I run at 110 FOV with a 23" monitor at 1920x1080.

Comment

I used to get headaches with FOV at 55. Now, I enjoy a wonderful FOV at 95 with a 22" 1920x1080.

Keep in mind that when you zoom in with your weapon, the view is going to be the same no matter what you have your FOV set to. Since I don't shoot from the hip (except buckshot shotguns), I figure it's better to be able see more when moving around.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
                  I forgot where, but I heard at that resolution/aspect ratio (16:9), ~100-110 FOV is ideal. I run at 110 FOV with a 23" monitor at 1920x1080.
                  I've read the same.
                  I always imagined E-male with a setup like this:

Comment

Originally posted by FistaLicious View Post
                    I've read the same.
                    I always imagined E-male with a setup like this:
                    This is what i want from Santa this year!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                      Its because you are so used to low FOV. In a long run bigger is better because the more you see the more you can spot.
                      sigpic

Comment

Gah! I changed my settings to 200 but got the fisheye look! No wonder my fish swim around in circles! Changed it back to 65 and seems a whole lot better! Any setting for rear view mirror?

Comment

I'll try FOV at 95 tonight.

BTW, here is my setup:

sigpic

Comment

I put my FOV on 85, (111 degrees). I must say, I can already tell a huge difference in my close combat. I was running around with a Neostadt and had great success with it. The big drawback is the odd visual effects that make it feel like you are wearing a space helmet or something. It will take some getting used to.

Comment

I am going to try a small change like 65-75 and see how it feels.

Former TG-21st
                              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...