New Hardware + Windows 7 = PITA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hardware + Windows 7 = PITA

I had to install a new mobo after putting together a system with the new Sandy Bridge. I didn't know verifying my copy of Windows 7 would be such a pain. I had to call a toll free number and read off a series of nine, six digit numbers then their automated system read off a series of nine, six digit numbers that I had to input. Wow, they are getting ridiculous with this crap. I hope a bunch of Chinese are using hacked versions of Windows so they can justify the hoops I just had to jump through.

Re: New Hardware + Windows 7 = PITA

Originally posted by Battledragun View Post
    I had to install a new mobo after putting together a system with the new Sandy Bridge. I didn't know verifying my copy of Windows 7 would be such a pain. I had to call a toll free number and read off a series of nine, six digit numbers then their automated system read off a series of nine, six digit numbers that I had to input. Wow, they are getting ridiculous with this crap. I hope a bunch of Chinese are using hacked versions of Windows so they can justify the hoops I just had to jump through.
    You did a complete reformat, correct? I advise with any change other than ram or GPU, you reformat 100%.

And yes, they do this to combat blatent piracy :)
    Skud

Comment

They should really provide a way for people to "deauthorize" a Windows install so that they can replace hardware and reinstall without having to call MS.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I've been through that nightmare when I swapped out my GPU. I figured it was just like XP since the GPU wasn't a core system component I was fine. Boy was I wrong. It didn't even tell me that I wasn't passing the stupid WGA checks - it just stopped pulling updates. Everything else worked fine. I then spent something like 6 hours troubleshooting why Windows update wasn't working only to find it was because of stupid WGA.

I ended reformatting.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
          And yes, they do this to combat blatent piracy :)
          How fortunate that those using pirated copies never have to go through the painful experience, huh?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
          --BlackMirror
          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
          --Blackraven93

Comment

Maybe there to poor and couldn't afford a legitamite copy at that point in time?

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

You had an OEM copy, not a retail copy, correct? That's why you had to do it. If you had a retail copy, you could install it on as many "systems" as you like provided only one is in use. On an OEM copy, the current "system" is hashed. Since you replaced the mobo and such, your key no longer recognized it as the system it was originally installed in.

Basically, you tripped up the piracy alert, that your copy of windows was being activated on a different computer, because it was. It's been that way since XP.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

All I know is it's the upgrade box that I got from Best Buy, I'm not certain how to tell if it's an OEM copy. Either way, it's all done and running fine but I'm not sure if I should have done a reformat after replacing the mobo. I had the same mobo but apparently intel had issues with the sata ports on all the new sandy bridge mobo's and my drives would just drop on occasion. That isn't happening anymore but I'm still considering reformating to be sure everything works properly.

Comment

Easiest way is, if the OS came pre-installed, and you didn't get the CD/DVD with your purchase, it's OEM (or you're being ripped off).

I'm not positive whether this will identify an OEM/non-OEM install, but try running "winver" from the command prompt and see what it says.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

If I understand what he's saying correctly, the reason why Windows made him jump through loops to reactivate his product key is because he had a pre-existing Windows install, then he replaced the motherboard, and then tried to resume using the same Windows install.
                    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I built this system so I don't think my copy is OEM as I installed the OS, but it was an upgrade from Vista, which was an upgrade from XP, which......

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                        Easiest way is, if the OS came pre-installed, and you didn't get the CD/DVD with your purchase, it's OEM (or you're being ripped off).

I'm not positive whether this will identify an OEM/non-OEM install, but try running "winver" from the command prompt and see what it says.
                        Or if you went through Newegg, etc and bought a 'bundle' pack with a motherboard/windows combo or the "windows for System Builders" type thing. Thats why they're discounted at like 130 dollars compared to 270, because they don't include the same licenses, don't include end-user support, etc. Basically, they're discounted because they're for putting on a computer you're going to sell to someone.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X