New DSL Modem for Gunney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DSL Modem for Gunney

Well guys, I finally got in a new DSL modem form AT&T. Its a Motorola and my isp says that it is better than my Westell I had for over 8 years. Hope this cures my internet connection drops. My dl rate in suppose to be 3.0 mbytes and upload 265 kbytes. Hardly ever see more that 2.7 mbyte download. Some of my speed tests show a low 1.7 mbytes for dl.

Doesn't seem to make any improvement on my gaming. The last game with a full server tonight at 9:00 eastern had poor frame rate at what appears to be 8 per sec. Of course my computer screen says I'm running at 30! I must assume the slow motion screen refresh is due to terrible server connection cycles.

Interesting note in the modem instructions. It says by the tenth day the fastest connection speed should be attained. Odd, as I usually turn off my power strip for whole computer system before going to bed. This would include the chassis, printer, router and modem. We will see how system runs next week. OldGunney gonna be relaxing in the hot tub in Tennessee this weekend with my best friend! (No, it's not xBadger!)

Re: New DSL Modem for Gunney

By turning off your power you may be losing it's training settings. 2.7 of a 3mB download is pretty good, and it's well within the 80% threshhold for a DSL modem connection. Try not turning off your modem at night. (old former DSL user, kinda wish i still had it. Comcast internet sucks.)

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
      By turning off your power you may be losing it's training settings. 2.7 of a 3mB download is pretty good, and it's well within the 80% threshold for a DSL modem connection. Try not turning off your modem at night.

lol ... just got up after leaving it on all night and accidentally turned it off! Seen that it was still on and reached down to turn on power strip to power up system and forgot it was already on! Now I got to plug it directly into wall socket. Hope the settings not messed up permanently. What is this training settings you talk about? Don't feel right leaving it turned on all the time as it stays warm. Us old folks like conserving power and not have hot things on that could catch fire!

Comment

A modem is not likely to burn down your house, don't you worry ;)

If you're worried about power draw, you can always test it with a socket tester. I'd imagine a little modem has very little draw ;)
        Skud

Comment

I'm still confused Gunney on how your FPS are so low on a full server. Your vid card blows mine outta the water, and im jsut guessing here but I'm pretty sure if i remember correctly your whole system is a step up or two or 3 above mine, and I avg about 23-58fps with an old PCI-Express EVGA Supercloaked 9800 GT * also over cloaked a tad more for fun :) * with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ overcloaked a bit, with a ton of case moding and added fans and tweaked fan speeds to keep it running somewhat coolish.. 60-70 degrees Celcius *GPU* while playing BC2 on Medium settings, the 70 hits when im in the washed out tank screens.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
            I'm still confused Gunney on how your FPS are so low on a full server. Your vid card blows mine outta the water, and im jsut guessing here but I'm pretty sure if i remember correctly your whole system is a step up or two or 3 above mine, and I avg about 23-58fps with an old PCI-Express EVGA Supercloaked 9800 GT * also over cloaked a tad more for fun :) * with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ overcloaked a bit, with a ton of case moding and added fans and tweaked fan speeds to keep it running somewhat coolish.. 60-70 degrees Celcius *GPU* while playing BC2 on Medium settings, the 70 hits when im in the washed out tank screens.
            lol you just described my comp. =D
            But yeah Gunney, my frame rate is fine as well and if your PC is above ours, what is going on there? and my internet is not always the best as I have family on most of the time as well when I am playing.......
            I'd try the leaving the modem on like Bisclaveret said. It doesn't seem like it is hardware related. I believe I have the same modem and I leave it on all the time no problem.
            Aliases - BF2142: A_Dead_Duck
            - BFBC2: A_Dead_Duck
            - BF3: Shade54

Comment

Just got back from my vacation. It's raining pretty hard so I expect the internet to drop. It did! Twice so far.

Here is my computer specs.

Asus M2N-SLI MoBo
              System Buss 2000/1600 MT/s
              Front side bus 200mHz
              DDR2 memory running at 800Mhz

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+ 512KB cache Dual Core (2.80GHz
              Front Side Bus 1000MHz (2000MHz)

I dont know what the deal is in the difference in the FSB between CPU and MoBo.

Video card is GeForce 250GTS

Doing some test now with the temp setting alerts on the CPU. Most I've seen now is the CPU running at 135 degree F. Just wonder if the CPU slows down when it overheats.

Comment

Look up your router on http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index and check if DD-WRT supports your router. If so, I'd highly recommend it installing it. You may see a network performance boost.

[ Official 3rd Special Forces Detachment (SFD) Member ]

Comment

Ole xBadger suggested I replace my CPU fan as it's a cheap one, but i wonder if that is it ata all since I'm not really overclocked much. Did some tests and see that during the game the CPU temp is running at 135 F deg (60 C) and my GPU is running at 125 F (52 C). Fan on the Evga vid card is at max speed, cant do much there. Anybody got a comment about the CPU high temp rating?

Comment

I am by no means an expert on PC hardware... but I do believe that overheating can indeed cause problems in-game; stuttering video, other weirdness, when/if your system overheats.

Back when BC2 first came out, my main work/home/gaming rig at the time was a Thinkpad T61p, one of the higher-end Thinkpad systems available at the time. It had a dedicated 512MB nVidia card, and a 2.2GHz Core2 processor, but whenever I played BC2, it would slow down, stutter/lag - and get REALLY hot. I messed around with some system utilities to slow the clock a bit, it really helped a lot on the heat issue, and didn't really affect my performance from the CPU. I don't really have a suggestion for you, but it seems you're experiencing lag/weirdness like I was - due to overheating. My TP eventually burned itself out, as did a friend's model that was nearly the same, so it could have been an issue with the T61p.

Even though my video card was more than sufficient to play BC2, the game really taxes your CPU as well. Any chance you can upgrade your system CPU?

For general system health, I'd give Tune Up a shot. They've got a 45-day Full Trial, let's you use the complete app for a good 45-days. If your system is shared with family, Windows can gather lots of junk in the Registry, etc. Tune-Up can clean it pretty good, and it will adjust your packet size, etc. for your Internet connection speed to optimize your web traffic. http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

I have a Zalman aftermarket heats sink an fan. My CPU only hits 48-55C * think will check later* while playing BC2 on Medium settings. So 60C is really hot, a new heat sink and fan would probably be a good idea, at the very least it would extend the life of your CPU. Your Vid card running at 52C with fan speed maxed is in acceptable range. I'm thinking Heat build up on the CPU and in the Case in general is probably a big factor in your systems performance. Adjusting the air flow throwout the case, adding fans or cleaning up the wiring, as well as adjusting the overall airflow may improve your performance quite a bit.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I'm pretty sure 60C is still within the acceptable thermal range for the cpu. Are the stuttering/lag issues something that started happening recently? Have you had these issues from the first time you started playing BC2 last year?
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

The stuttering and lag issues started two patches ago when the new skins came out. Maybe a new CPU processor would help. Looking at one that has twice the onboard cache for $49 from TigerDirect.com.

( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...79_19676_19676 )

The maximum I can go up on overclocking is 212! I tried 220 and got the blue screen of death! Been playing around with the Hyper Transport settings at 3x and played yesterday with you guys and game was pretty smooth. Looked at airflow in the chassis and got my GPU temp down to 48C. GPU running at about 30% while nder BFBC2 load. The CPU is running at about 85% with max temp below 136F. Still watching these numbers while playing to see when the problems shows up.

On a side note, been playing on a server during the day called Killzone #9. Low ping for me so I like it. The Tactical gamer server shows a ping of 70 while empty but goes up to 110 during the evening.

Comment

If BC2 ran fine for you at one point and then started running badly after a patch or two, then the problem isn't likely to be your computer hardware. Have you tried doing a clean reinstall of BC2? I would try that before buying any new hardware. I also wouldn't recommend spending $50 on a new CPU for an old platform.
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
                              I am by no means an expert on PC hardware... but I do believe that overheating can indeed cause problems in-game; stuttering video, other weirdness, when/if For general system health, I'd give Tune Up a shot. They've got a 45-day Full Trial, let's you use the complete app for a good 45-days. If your system is shared with family, Windows can gather lots of junk in the Registry, etc. Tune-Up can clean it pretty good, and it will adjust your packet size, etc. for your Internet connection speed to optimize your web traffic. http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
                              Thanks DogWarrior! I downloaded it and ran the tune up utility. Seems to have improved my system considerably. Only problem I see is that my Internet Explorer is bland and it took off my desk top background. lol .... said it was unnecessary! Seemed that it also downgraded my BFBC2 graphics, not as pretty. I was already on low settings and this is even lower!

Voodoo, I have uninstalled both Windows XP and BFBC2 several times with no satisfaction. If there is only a few players in server then my screen scrolling is very good. Once it gets over 12 players, then my system lags. We will see how the game goes tonight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X