Gunney trying to get his groove back!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunney trying to get his groove back!

I've been upgrading my computer and need some help on where to get faster memory. My MoBo requires memory with 1.8v only. Can not go any higher. I need DDR2 PC8500 (1066hz). I've got 800hz, but feel I can squeeze more performace out of faster ram. Has to be 2gig stick as board only has two memory slots.

Motherboard is MSI 785GTM-E45. It list two different memory chip makers that could work at that speed and that is KingMax (Part# KLEE88F-B8KU6 [NNAS]) and ELIXIR (Part# M2Y2G64TU8HD5B-BD). Any help would be appreciated! :row__594:

Re: Gunney trying to get his groove back!

Gunney, I suggest posting this in the Hardware and Software Discussions forum, I get responses real quick in there http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...re-discussion/.

Comment

I stopped by Best Buy and asked the geeks there about finding rare memory like mine and he suggested checking out NewEgg.com and sure enough they had some for sale. I bout 2 gig Crucial Ram for $42!

Comment

Newegg is where you should be buying most of your computer hardware, I buy all of my system parts from them. Their customer service is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Battledragun View Post
          Newegg is where you should be buying most of your computer hardware, I buy all of my system parts from them. Their customer service is awesome.
          So did i Gunny, Newegg is the place to shop.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I got my new and improved memory in today! Installed it and memory ram shows up as 1088, but does not increase my frame rate at all. Did a few static tests and do not see any difference. Wonder if it is a limitation of the MotherBoard buffers. Will send NewEgg a query on this.

Comment

Gunney, are you saying you have 1 gig of RAM, or did you buy 2?

While you said you bought 2 GB, you later said it is showing 1088, that is essentially 1 GB... and sorry to say, but 42 bucks for 2GB worth of RAM is going to be older technology and not as fast as current models.

The minimum system requirements is 2 gig, I have 8 and most of it is used up while using TS, steam and BC2 . . not to mention Fraps and whatever else I forget to stop running.
              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
              E Pluribus Unum
              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

That 1088 should read 1066mhz, which is the SPEED of the ram and the fastest I can put in my machine. It's a 2 gig stick. I've got one more slot for a memory card in case BF3 needs more. Next step is to replace my dual core proccessor with a quad core!

Comment

Hi Gunney, I just stumbled across this thread. I've built PCs with MSI motherboards before, and the 1088MHz you're seeing is just the motherboard slightly overclocking the RAM. That's a very mild overclock, and as long as the system remains stable, you need not worry about it. That's actually a good thing. The higher speed can help with tasks like file compression and CacheMem read and write. However, gains in FPS are generally more correlated to GPU and CPU components. See this link from OCC and this link from bit-tech for reference.

Out of curiosity:

Do you have the onboard overclocking switches adjusted (red socket with white switches 1 & 2, next to the battery)?

What model CPU?

What model GPU (aka Graphics or Video Card)?

What model Hard Drive?

While we're at it, what is your PSU?

Was this PC pre-built, say from HP or Dell, or did you put it together?

All these things help readers understand your system as a whole, and can make for quicker problem solving and recommendations.

-Zippy

:icon_frow
                  |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                  sigpic

Comment

Did a major upgrade last week and now I think I'm on same par as other major players here. Went from a dual core to a quad core and realy noticed a vast improvement in game play! Frame rate also doubled! Here is my new CPU processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

That extra cache memory really helps out. A couple of months ago I reported that I had replaced my dual core processor with another that had same speed, but a larger casche and noticed a difference. Anyone needing a better AMD AM2 dual core processor @ 2880, I can send you my old one for free. Just drop a friend message with your address and I'll send it out.

Gunney

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X