32 bit vs 64 bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 bit vs 64 bit

OldGunney here is wanting to upgrade my Windows XP op system to Windows 7 so I can play BF3 that is coming up for sale soon. My question is, how can I tell if my computer can handle 64 bit or should I stick with 32 bit? I dont see anything in on my computer that tells me what I'm running now. Microsoft Web site mentions looking at my System and Maintenance icon in my control panel, but all I have is the System icon and it doesnt say anything about the bit type. All I know is I'm running an AM3 AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz proccessor.

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit

You're running 32 bit XP. You'd know if it was 64 bit as nothing would work.

Almost any recent processor is capable of a 64 bit OS. With 64 bit you will be able to use more than 4Gb worth of ram but might find it difficult finding drivers for legacy devices. I personally have never had a single problem due to me running Win7 64 bit.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Gunney, that's a 64-bit processor and it's compatible with Win7 64-bit.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Gunney how much memory do you have? If possible what speed is it?

Only other thing is non window related,but what model video card do you have?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I've got GeForce GTS 250 vid card. Seems that won't do for BF3 either. There is a guy on EBay selling 32bit Windows op system intended for a laptop, should I buy that?

My memory is just 2 gig of 1055 memory DDR2, top of the line for that category.

Comment

my advice....get win 7 64 bit and upgrade the card.....if you have any money left over I would get another 2gb of memory then your rig would be ready for BF3.

here are the minimum req:
            Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3
            Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
            RAM: 2GB
            Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
            Graphics card memory: 512 MB
            Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

your processor is fine, I run a 945 PhenomII...you just need a bump in other areas. As you can see 2gb is the minimum memory for running bf3. Did you build this pc? or is it from a store....if yoiu can give me some motherboard and power supply info I can find some upgrades for you if you like?
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X