Losing my connection, man the ports!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my connection, man the ports!

Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 and now Bad Company 2 have all had a problem with my internet. In Bf 2 it was losing the connection to EAs master server within minutes of logging in. Now in BC 2 I lose my connection to the game server every 5 or so minutes. One of the suggestions I have seen on some help forums is to open ports that are needed by BC2. I see in my Bf 2 ReadMe file that there is a list of ports I should have open for online play.
    For the life of me I can't find the ReadMe for BC 2. Could someone please tell me where I can find this list of ports for BC 2 or any other fixes for my problem? I realize that this is a beta, but this is the exact same thing that has happened before.

I'm rocking a Linksys model BEFSX41 Broadband Firewall Router if that helps. Only EA games have done this, no other online games have given me this kind of trouble.

Thank you so much.

Re: Losing my connection, man the ports!

I hate this option but it works for me...I set my router to DMZ host for my computer (I looked up your router's manual...you can do this and set it for your computer)....A word of caution: it's totally unsafe and I would recommend a really good antivirus/antimalware/antispyware program to protect yourself...THIS should be your LAST RESORT...if you ever get there...

Comment

See this post for info on which ports bc2 uses:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...formation.html
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
        I hate this option but it works for me...I set my router to DMZ host for my computer (I looked up your router's manual...you can do this and set it for your computer)....A word of caution: it's totally unsafe and I would recommend a really good antivirus/antimalware/antispyware program to protect yourself...THIS should be your LAST RESORT...if you ever get there...
        Unfortunately this didn't work. I have tried "Specify an IP Address behind the DMZ Port" and "DMZ host address Assigned by the DMZ Port" . The only thing I haven't tried is "Specify a MAC Address behind the DMZ port" but i don't know where to find this MAC address.

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
        See this post for info on which ports bc2 uses:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...formation.html
        Nothing in this thread helped. thanks anyway.

Looks like DICE will have to fix this? Too bad that more people are not effected by this, then maybe a solution would present itself.
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

I use a linksys router and did not have to change anything, windows firewall blocked the game for me, so I had to unblock it?

Comment

2 steps:

1.) Adding an exception to your windows firewall:

Add a program exception to your window firewall in your control panel...sometimes...on the first startup you don't notice that windows firewall is asking you to add an exception...I missed the warning my first time and had to do it manually...

2.) Making yourself the DMZ host:

I cannot emphasize this enough...you must protect yourself and take the necessary precautions...only open your firewall up when you are playing BFBC2 and nothing else...THIS IS A LAST RESORT....BE CAREFUL!!!!

Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista

* Open the command prompt
            * From the command prompt type "ipconfig /all"
            * (If the information scrolls off the screen you can type "ipconfig /all|more")
            * Find the network adapter you want to know the MAC address of
            * Locate the number next to Physical Address. This is your MAC address

The MAC Address will be displayed in the form of 00-02-2D-11-55-4D.

Example "ipconfig /all" output:
            Ethernet adapter Wired:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : roundfile.com
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ORiNOCO PC Card (5 Volt)
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-11-55-4D

*source: http://www.coffer.com/mac_info/locate-windows.html

Once you do these two things...i can see very little that is impeding your connection to the servers with all the ports communicating correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
              2.) Making yourself the DMZ host:
              Dang, I was hoping this was going to work, I even played for a whole seven minutes!
              At least there are a few people have this problem, more complaints the better.

Looks like I'm just going to be stuck with STEAM games while I wait for a fix from Dice. I might be getting a new service provider in two years so the problem might fix its self...

Thank you guys for trying to help.

Comment

Outgoing to these ports should be fine. It's inboung that is normally blocked. But as you are opening the session via these ports, you should not need to allow the ports in! There must be another reason for this, as I don't think this will fix the issue for most. If you were hosting the server, then yes, but your not. I guess some people have routers that don't allow some ports out for some reason, but that issue is different.

I'll say it again, Opening your ports isn't going to fix your issue! (Except for a few people..) :)

Oh, and while looking to see if anyone did have an answer, someone put it a bit better than I did:

Giving outbound ports is useless for 99% of people because the default settings of gateways is all outbound ports opened(*1)...
                maybe if you r trying to play from work... your company IT should have closed outbound ports except TCP 80 for http... and a few more for selected services. But in that case, I don't imagine anyone saying to the IT manager: can you open whose ports so I can try the bcc2beta during lunchtime ? lol...

BUT giving inbound ports would be a good idea for people with a NON UPNP NAT router (upnp opens inbound ports automatically for you but this is a huge security hole...)
                (edit: )
                By the way, to my opinion, a game properly designed shouldn't need anyone to open inbound ports... (except for COD6MW2 for example, because there's no dedicated servers and players need a way to contact each other. Well it's not really an exception, not having dedicated servers IS a bad design)
                Source: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...l#post12529993
                BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

This may not be your problem either but might as well dig around in your router settings for "TCP Timeout" setting. I had an issue where my TCP timeout was set too low and I was getting disconnected without fail after ~4 minutes. Find that setting and make sure it's at least a 700 second TCP timeout. I'll comb the interwebs to see if I can find a picture of this setting on your router somewhere.

Hope this helps.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey! Im having the same problem but not as often. More like every game or so for me but its still getting very annoying. Thank you for this thread.
                    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

I believe everyone is getting these disconnects randomly. I probably disconnect from 70% of the games I play. They know about it, and it's not related to the 5 minute disconnects from what I've read.
                      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

I get them at completely random times... I could play for 3 minutes and get DC'ed, and times I could play 3 games before it'll DC me... I hope this gets better on release...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X