Upgrade ME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade ME

I'd like a better experience with BC2. Right now it's just OK. I'm perfectly happy with my PC otherwise. I'm willing to spend some cash and upgrade 1 or 2 things spending maybe $250. I don't want to spend too much cash until new build time which I'm trying to delay for as long as possible. My specs are kind of old, Plz help me choose what to upgrade to have a better experience. Or should I forget about upgrading and release the Kraken.

Asus P5B deluxe
    e6600 2.4
    2 gig ram
    8800GT 512
    Windows XP - Is moving to Windows 7 worth it for DX10 or 11

Re: Upgrade ME

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
    I'd like a better experience with BC2. Right now it's just OK. I'm perfectly happy with my PC otherwise. I'm willing to spend some cash and upgrade 1 or 2 things spending maybe $250. I don't want to spend too much cash until new build time which I'm trying to delay for as long as possible. My specs are kind of old, Plz help me choose what to upgrade to have a better experience. Or should I forget about upgrading and release the Kraken.

Asus P5B deluxe
    e6600 2.4
    2 gig ram
    8800GT 512
    Windows XP - Is moving to Windows 7 worth it for DX10 or 11

My thoughts are as follows:

Given that BC2 is such a CPU whore, and has shown to scale very nicely with more cores, if you were to upgrade anything it would be your CPU. I suggest this. It doesn't break the bank and if you so choose you could even go ahead and get 2GB or even go a little overboard and get another 4GB of RAM. If you provide me with a few more details about your current 2GB of RAM (Such as Speed: DDR2 800? CAS Latency: 4, 5, or 6?) I could give you more targeted suggestions on the RAM front.

As for the Operating System, I would say it is not worth it to upgrade just for the DX10 (the 8800 GT long predates DX11 just like my 8800 GTS 512 does). There is some question as to how well the 8800GT would really do in DX10 mode even with a quad core. However, there are many other reasons to go to Win7. I'm not really going to get into the Pros and cons of Win7 because that has been done exhaustively across the interwebs, but I will say I have upgraded and I can't believe I was forced to use XP for so long. As well if you want to go with the RAM upgrade, you will want to go to the 64-bit memory addressing capable Win7 anyway.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. :row__577:

~Innoc
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

This says it all.

Memory is 800 5 5 5 12

I'm still wondering if I should try to get a cheap quad core and upgrade my video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
        I'm still wondering if I should try to get a cheap quad core and upgrade my video card.
        i think that would be the best way to go
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
          i think that would be the best way to go
          Agreed but you'd have to spend more than your 250 to get both a good quad core and a graphics card that would be a significant improvement over your 8800GT. Personally I'm looking at an Radeon 5850, but that is 300 by itself right now. So it's really on how much you want to spend. As is usual. :-)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Innocuous_Gun View Post
            Agreed but you'd have to spend more than your 250 to get both a good quad core and a graphics card that would be a significant improvement over your 8800GT. Personally I'm looking at an Radeon 5850, but that is 300 by itself right now. So it's really on how much you want to spend. As is usual. :-)
            yeah i never thought bout that. money is always the issue (in most cases)
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Dropped a Q9550 fps went from 33 to 75. Thanks

Comment

the 5850 is my first ati card ever... and i love it

with my e8400, 5850 and 4gb of ram i have everything turned on to max with dx11 at 1080p with literally no issues.

i know that the lower resolution of my 42" tv is helping out, but its still awesome
                |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

I upgraded to a quad too and got a decent improvement in fps. Used to average about 25FPS, now it's at 55FPS.

1600x1200, high
                  NVidia GT8800 OC
                  4GB
                  Win XP SP2
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L (lovely mobo for OCing BTW, cheap too)

Old CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 OC @ 2.94GHz
                  New CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9440 OC @ 3.00GHz

FPS measured on full server, at least 10 runs of 180 sec avg.

FYI upgrading from 2GB to 4GB RAM made absolutely no difference in FPS at all whatsoever not even a single 1FPS. Before anyone says otherwise, having 4GB does make a difference for other apps such as Dragon Age and Prime95.

Comment

I can run up to DX11 but personally I changed mine back to dx9 for the incredible performance boost. I would not worry about that, the graphics level is amazing at 9 as well.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...