It Never Rains.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Never Rains.....

It pours. So I've got my shiny new Windows 7 installation, except it didn't format over the old XP files for some reason, so now I've got to redo the thing due to a bunch of very weird errors. Maybe it will be fine, but I want a very clean install so I'm gonna take off and nuke the site from orbit.

The real thing I need help on though is this: my oldest HD is a WD 500 GB USB Drive. It is chock full of stuff, stuff I don't want to lose. About 50/50 photos and videos. So recently I've been unable to transfer anything to it, and I get an I/O error. Google has shown me that this is a sign of imminent death for the drive. I cannot transfer the data off normally at all...nothing will come off it.

There is a 2TB drive on the way from NewEgg as I type this. Is there any kind of program that look at the drive and maybe like...take a picture of it and copy it that way?

Re: It Never Rains.....

Inside the pretty USB casing is a normal hard drive. Seeing as you aren't going to want it anymore now that it's practically dead, I'd remove the hard drive from the case, which is only there to look good, and convert to USB, then put it directly in your PC if you can. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but I've found 4/5 times I'm able to recover all files. I have hard drive caddies/adaptors etc for all sorts of drives for work, which always make life easier in these cases.

I've had a fair few dead/dying hard drives in my time in support, and they all seem to be fine from cold, and die the warmer they get. I've left them in a server room and got that much needed temperature down and had more luck with a cold drive. So try and reduce it's temperature with some ice cold beer or something.. :) I don't recommend this next bit, but I thought I'd try it and stuck a laptop hard drive in the freezer for 10 minutes, in a bag and it went from lasting 2 minutes before failing, to 45 minutes, and got all data off. I'd leave that freezer business as a last resort though.. If it's not a temperature thing, then the only other options are paying for someone to do data recovery. Did it once and got important stuff back, but only because work were paying for it..

Or, long shot, but know anyone with linux installed? This can work too.. :)
    BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

PM has this covered but +1 to the freezer trick, it does work but you have to be careful with it. I've used it before on a dying HD or two.
      sigpic

Comment

It is rather warm to the touch. I've unplugged it, gonna let it sit and rest until the 2TB drive gets here. Then try again. Maybe I'll blast it with some canned air, see if I can blow the dust out of it....

Then maybe the freezer trick.

Is there anything I can do with useless hard drives? Recycle them or something?

Comment

As was mentioned above, you may be able to use something like this
          http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE
          to pull some data out of it's lifeless body. If not data, then possibly pull a full image with Acronis or similar program and put the image on an open partition of the new drive to see if you can pull stuff then. I have an IDE/SATA/USB connector I would be happy to loan you via mail if you go that route.

Comment

In reference to the freezer trick, be careful of condensation forming on the exposed circuit board.

Comment

A few years ago, I removed a "USB HD" from it's case - it's just a regular drive ... plugged it directly into the motherboard using a regular ISA Cable.

Comment

Hmmm

OK so I left on a cool windowsill for 4 hours while I was at work, and now I can move about 5 GB or so before it locks up. Then I turn it off, wait ten minutes, and do it over again. At this rate it will take me 100 cycles to get the whole thing transferred.

So if I put the whole thing in a Ziploc bag and froze it for ten minutes, you think that would give me more time to transfer stuff?

Comment

Either that or kill the drive...... :D

Comment

OK now this is just plain odd.

I can now copy things off the drive, but I get the I/O error pop up when I try to delete them. So I'm gonna go ahead and pull all my stuff off, then format it, then play around with it and maybe use it for backup. Sure won't be trusting it with anything important again.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                      So I'm gonna go ahead and pull all my stuff off, then format it, then play around with it and maybe use it for backup. Sure won't be trusting it with anything important again.
                      Ummm... backups are important.

I strongly urge you to chunk it in the trash when you are finished recovering your data. All its ever going to do from here on out is cause trouble.

Comment

Anything on my external storage is a copy of what is somewhere else, or is unimportant.. Backing up only works if you have it in 2 or more places.

Glad your getting data back. Def throw it away when your done. :)
                        BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Data successfully extracted. I can't find the bits for my drill, any funny/cool ways to destroy a hard drive?

Comment

In college I made a mobile out of the platters from 12 dead 5.25" SCSI hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                              any funny/cool ways to destroy a hard drive?
                              Microwave?

I in no way support frying hard drives in microwaves as it will fry your hard drive, microwave and house, do not try this at home.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X