Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Card Upgrade - The GREAT Debate - help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Upgrade - The GREAT Debate - help!

Ok...I went to help a friend fix his aging rig by picking up some parts at the local Micro Center (normally I mail order New Egg). I ended up dropping about a grand for new guts for my 4 year old monster tower case. I gutted and rebuilt everything - except the video card. I'm looking to my incredibly apt, able, and knowledgeable fellow TG members to guide me in deciding which way to go. I'd like to stay under $300 - I want good to great but don't need bleeding edge.

I will of course peruse Tom's Hardware, but trusting the folks around here just as much I'm asking for your input. I'd like something that will really hum on BF2:BC2 which should be arriving tomorrow from Amazon.

THANKS ALL!!!

The tower is now humming happily with the following:
    Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU
    XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU Cooler
    GigaByte GA-X58A=UD3R Mobo (I've always ran Intel or Gigabyte boards with good luck)
    1TB 7200RPM SATA 3GB HD
    6TB OCZ Gold DDR3-2000 RAM
    650W Corsair PSU
    Weak Link -> ATI Radion HD4800
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    Acer P244W LCD
    Logitech Gaming Mouse
    Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick
    May age and treachery always overcome youth and energy...do unto others - then split!

Re: Video Card Upgrade - The GREAT Debate - help!

Originally posted by OldSchool3638 View Post

6TB OCZ Gold DDR3-2000 RAM
    Am I reading you wrong or is that supposed to mean GB?

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Never type at 10PM when you're alarm went off at 4AM...yes, it's 6GB of RAM - but it'll be at 6TB of HD before you know it. Drive space is like a wonderfully small closet isn't it? Now if I can just find a way to RAR down a mig welder...<ahem>.
      May age and treachery always overcome youth and energy...do unto others - then split!

Comment

I'd say go for a 5850. I've got one in my rig now and it simply laughs at Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Everything at high at 1680x1050. Very solid card.

They are starting to come down in price too. You can probably pick up one of the factory overclocked ones for right around $300 if you look around.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

You want one of the new Radeon 5-series cards, for sure -- much as I love nVidia there's just no denying that ATI's spanking them pretty hard at the moment. Take a look at the 5770 or the 5850 and pick whichever one better fits your budget!

Proud member of the 21st Death Dealers.
          Swift, mobile, on target.

Comment

+1

If it didn't involve taking apart my WC I'd grab a 58xx or 2.

Comment

I like the 5770, it was cheap when I bought it a few months ago to replace my dead 8800 gtx. It's at least as fast, and for 170 bucks or so, it's a great deal.

Comment

Just an update: If you're looking to play BFBC2 on that rig, I got the game last night and have everything on high at 1680x1050 and no stuttering at all. I love the 5850!

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

THANKS all for the recommendations! I'm ordering the ATI from NewEgg today :row__532::row__532:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X