+fullproc for multi core cpu's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +fullproc for multi core cpu's

I found the information I am about to post, in a couple places in the TG BC2 forums but, the info is buried and potentially hard to find. So, after a couple requests in-game, I decided to make a dedicated post concerning this.

Supposedly, BC2 supports multi core processors right out of the box. From my personal observations, I think that the game defaults to using just a single core. There is a switch you can add to the shortcut for the game, that forces the game to use all available processors. I found the information in this post on EA's forums.

Here is what you have to do.

Right click on your BC2 shortcut and click Properties. You should get a window that looks similar to:

In the "Target:" field, enter +fullproc at the end, so that it looks something like:

Code:
    "C:\Games\Battlefield Bad Company 2\BFBC2Updater.exe" +fullproc
    In my case, I install all games to a Games directory. If you installed to the default location, your file path may be a little different.

Now, before I added the +fullproc, I was only able to reliably run the game with all settings as low as they could go. In a large fire fight, I would average 25-30fps. After adding +fullproc, I am able to run the game with all settings on medium (except shadows, which is still at low), AA and AF at 4 and get 35-40fps. Now, be aware that I have not extensively tested this out as of yet but, the first results seem promising.

I hope some of you find this as helpful as I did. If you need any help, feel free to ask!

p.s. For those that are interested, here are my system stats (no over-clocking as of yet):

Motherboard: ASUS M3N72-D
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Processor running @ 3.2GHz per core
    RAM: 2x1 GB sticks and 2x2 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (total of 6GB)
    Graphics: eVGA GTX 275 FTW Edition w/896MB DDR3 RAM

sigpic

Re: +fullproc for multi core cpu's

Thanks!

People have been talking about the +fullproc thing but I never understood were too put it in*..

*please don't go that low and joke about that one now?
    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Actually, it does use all cores, but doesn't seem to use them equally. It seems to really like core 3 (they are numbered 0,1,2,3). It doesn't sit at this high of a load on core 3 all the time, but it is usually higher than the others.
      I will try the shortcut edit and see if it changes.

Edit

Made the change to the shortcut and still get this :

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Does this work the same for those who purchased the game through steam?
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
          Does this work the same for those who purchased the game through steam?
          Not the same, but it works

Right click BC2 under games(in steam, of course)>properties>set launch options and then type +fullproc in there

Or so I think...

Comment

I have the same thing as Bamboo, exact same situation.
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thanks for the post!!! I'll give it a test on my i7 920 when I ge home. I have my CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz so will be a good way to test the command with an oc'd CPU
              |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

I might be wrong...but I think that situation was addressed with the retail version...but what the heck..I'll give it a shot too!!

I know it did work with the beta....

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie View Post
                  I might be wrong...but I think that situation was addressed with the retail version...but what the heck..I'll give it a shot too!!

I know it did work with the beta....

Chappie
                  really - I thought it actually didn't do anything in beta? Anyway I assume this switch isn't needed here either - why would it be disabled by default?

Comment

OK couldn't see any difference in FPS with my almost naked eye.. Going to do a benchmark tomorrow when I wake up too see if it really do anything for me..
                    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

This was a beta fix, that did make a difference. Release already has better quad utilisation. I sure it's in a changelog somewhere.

Check the date of EA post, and it's buried because it was in January/February. Beta time..
                      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Well I definately saw a difference in gameplay last night...could have been a combination of both +Fullproc and the patch. Later today Ill see if I can run a benchmark and post some screenies...was too late last night
                        |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

I went back and added it to my steam settings as described above, and it didn't make any difference either.
                          I didn't take a screenshot of the CPU usage because it looked just like the 2 above. I think it was a beta thing.

EDIT:
                          I was just reading through the EA forums and found this:
                          Why is my GPU only using 40 to 70%?

Lots of argueing about bottlenecks and stuff. Looks like most people are having either a CPU or GPU problem. Game just isn't optimized.
                          Last edited by Bamboo; 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep, I am thinking it was the patch that made the difference for me. I had started the game and walked away from the computer for a couple minutes (after adding the switch) and didn't notice a patch had been installed. After testing with and without the switch last night, I noticed I was no longer getting any difference in my fps, as well as no difference in the cpu load. So, I apologize for getting everyones hopes up with my l33t, not-paying-attention-to-whats-going-on skills. :row__541:

sigpic

Comment

In case some of you are interested, there is a new Beta driver from Nvidia (197.13) available and I'm downloading now. It shows some some significant increases on some graphics intense games but doesn't say anything specific to BFBC2.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...it_197.13.html
                              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X